FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Challenge

Donutey
I've got 9 Pentium II 400Mhz and motherboard combos. Any idea what I should do with them?

P II 400Mhz 100FSB

Intel SE440BX-2
Slot 1
3 Dimm slots
1 AGP 2x
3-4 PCI
1-2 ISA

--

I've already had the idea to make a cheap cluster, I've used one (motherboard) to upgrade an older computer with a slocket at 800Mhz, unfortunately I'm not sure I'll get much overclocking out of them, as the FSB in CPUFSB jumps from 103 to 124 (PCI @ 41Mhz Shocked ).
psycosquirrel
Whoa. Nice.

Okay, go to the thrift store and spend like $30, buy monitors for all of them...

Then sell them on Craigslist.

You will make ~$100.

Otherwise, they are kinda worthless. You could use them for mass processing (folding or something of the sort), or maybe personal servers if you have a good ISP (before anyone asks, cable and DSL are not good. You need T1 or higher. The speed with cable and DSL is too inconsistant).

Or you could give them to me. I can put them to good use on my T3 Very Happy
Donutey
psycosquirrel wrote:
Whoa. Nice.

Okay, go to the thrift store and spend like $30, buy monitors for all of them...

Then sell them on Craigslist.

You will make ~$100.

Otherwise, they are kinda worthless. You could use them for mass processing (folding or something of the sort), or maybe personal servers if you have a good ISP (before anyone asks, cable and DSL are not good. You need T1 or higher. The speed with cable and DSL is too inconsistant).

Or you could give them to me. I can put them to good use on my T3 Very Happy

One problem I have is the power supplys are expensive to get shipped, and even more expensive to buy from local outlets where I live. (They want $30 for a used 200w power supply Rolling Eyes )
psycosquirrel
I would try to sell them then...

Here is a CHEAP power supply if you want to buy them: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817174025

I wouldn't buy any other low cost PSUs off Newegg, most PSUs on their site are crap. Actually, this one is total crap too, but it will power a P2 reliably.
Xeniczone
couldn't you buy one large case and one large power supply that would be able to power all the motherboards at once then use it as a server cluster for like file sharing or anything.

I used to use a old pentium 2 I had to play halo on. Yes halo is rated for a 800mhz processor but I had a high end pci graphic card in it and the 450mhz cpu it did great. It just followed the line that gaming is mostly gfx rather then cpu. Still a good cpu is nice.

If I had that many p2's I would try to build something like a project out of them but limit my spending so much like 50 bucks no more. because you put to much money into it you might as well buy a new computer.