FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

iPod Space Available

Tony The Tiger
Does anyone know the difference between the amount of space iTunes says you have available and the amount of space that the iPod (Settings>>About>>Available) says you have available. I have noticed a huge difference (27GB vs 20 GB).
Animal
This is probably to do with the way a Gigabyte is reported. I don't know this for sure, but I would guess that iTunes on your computer reports a Gigabyte as 1024 Megabytes, a Megabyte as 1024 Kilobytes and so on, where the iPod itself reports a Gigabyte as 1000 Megabytes, a Megabyte as 1000 Kilobytes etc. It's often used to make hard disks sound bigger than their actual formatted capacity.
Tony The Tiger
Animal wrote:
This is probably to do with the way a Gigabyte is reported. I don't know this for sure, but I would guess that iTunes on your computer reports a Gigabyte as 1024 Megabytes, a Megabyte as 1024 Kilobytes and so on, where the iPod itself reports a Gigabyte as 1000 Megabytes, a Megabyte as 1000 Kilobytes etc. It's often used to make hard disks sound bigger than their actual formatted capacity.

I went to the apple store. They told me to restore my iPod using Updater. Once I did this the problem went away.
tracybh
i didn't realize this difference. let me check it then