FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Got new PC

erlendhg
After a long time of waiting intensly, I have finally got my very own PC.

The specifications are as following:

320 GB HDD
Samsung SH-W163A DVD-writer
Intel Core 2 E6600 2.4 GHz processor
ASUS P5W DH DELUXE mainboard
Nexus Breeze cab. with 500W PSU included
Geil 2 GB RAM memory
ASUS EN7600GT SILENT grapichs card
Samsung SyncMaster 711 MP 17" LCD screen / LCD TV
Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000

Total price: 15000 NOK (about 2288 US $)

Thatīs quite something, or what?
new user
erlendhg wrote:
After a long time of waiting intensly, I have finally got my very own PC.

The specifications are as following:

320 GB HDD
Samsung SH-W163A DVD-writer
Intel Core 2 E6600 2.4 GHz processor
ASUS P5W DH DELUXE mainboard
Nexus Breeze cab. with 500W PSU included
Geil 2 GB RAM memory
ASUS EN7600GT SILENT grapichs card
Samsung SyncMaster 711 MP 17" LCD screen / LCD TV
Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000

Total price: 15000 NOK (about 2288 US $)

Thatīs quite something, or what?

The price is a little too high for what you get, but no matter what, it is quite something. Very Happy
psycosquirrel
Whoa, you spent WAY too much...

I would have gotten a 7900GT and dropped to a gig of RAM. 2Gb RAM and only a 7600GT (especially a passive version) doesn't make much sense unless you are going to be doing some massive calculations with little video being drawn.

Are you going to overclock it?

If not, you wasted your money. The only reason Conroe gets so much hype is because they overclock like a dream... We are talking overclocks similar to those of Optys on a desktop core.
mOrpheuS
psycosquirrel wrote:
If not, you wasted your money. The only reason Conroe gets so much hype is because they overclock like a dream... We are talking overclocks similar to those of Optys on a desktop core.

The benchmarks all over show this ~$400 Conroe outperforming $1000+ Athlon FX-62's at stock speeds.

I wouldn't really call that a hype or a waste of money.
vignesh_natraj
happy time with your new PC
psycosquirrel
mOrpheuS wrote:

The benchmarks all over show this ~$400 Conroe outperforming $1000+ Athlon FX-62's at stock speeds.

I wouldn't really call that a hype or a waste of money.

One could argue benchmarks, but they are usually accurate enough to give an idea of the performance.

What I meant was that the price is not worth the processor right now. Once the Conroes drop about $100, they will be more than worth the price. Sure the FX-62 is a total rip-off, but how about the 4200? It is well under $200 and easily hits 2.5Ghz. The average user would not even be able to tell the difference (especially if the user is using 2Gb of RAM and only a 7600GT, the bottleneck on the GPU is rediculous).

But I agree with you. The Conroe is a MUCH better chip. Very Happy
the6thfactor
Well I have to agree with everyone else, seems to did pay way too much for what you bought. Like psycosquirrel said, I would have gotten a 7900GT dropped in there at the least. BUT, I know how exciting it is to get a new PC, so congrats Wink
erlendhg
Well...
I don't think it is too much. I think it is great.
It gives relly great performance Very Happy

And since I'm developing sudoku software with my brother and our little team, it is very good to have when you are working with huge processes.

And we really are, because we are using Intelīs SSE2 instructions with 128 bits system instead of 32 bits, and have the best (and if not the best, it soon will be) sudoku solver in the world.

When Intel tested Conroe before it was released, they tested several of their special made programs for speed testing, and our sudoku program too. And our program got a better use of their new architecture (and therefore a better improvement) than Intelīs own programs Razz'

...and I don't need a that good graphics card, because Iīm not so much a gamer and Iīm not working with video and stuff...

...and yes, I do overclock the processor Very Happy
PseudoKnight
I'm guessing computer components are more expensive in Norway because that is more than what you'd pay for it here, but I can't say much negative about your component choices. The E6600 is my dream CPU. (cheapest conroe with that much L2) The 7600GT is an excellent GPU for you buck. Samsung makes great DVD-writers and LCD screens. Geil is a great RAM brand assuming you got a lower latency model. I can't say anything about that particular Asus motherboard, but Asus is generally a solid choice. Your PSU concerns me. The ones included with cases generally aren't as good as the wattage might have you believe. It's not uncommon for them to mislabel wattage or have inconsistent performance. Considering it's the power source for your baby, it's critical to have a decent PSU and it's something you might want to consider looking into further.
diduknowthat
You can probably get that in the US for a little more than half of that price. But again things might be really expensive where you bought it. Anyways, I see you're not a hardcore gamer. Also, is that PSU reliable? How many amps are on the 12v+ rail?
cruzo
Very Happy I think YOu Did a very smart buy.
Go on try to get everything from that , Use id , Be happy and then throut out to get a new one , thats the big circle life.
technology.sponge
nice parts, but wudv got a 7900gt or a 7900gs as several ppl suggested. wud also ditch the 'bundled' stock psu/ bundled psu's in general r notorious for breaking down or not meeting there specs
erlendhg
I don't know about the PSU.
I think it seems just fine Smile

Specifications are to be found here:
http://www.nexustek.nl/nx5000.htm
tom69
Quote:
The price is a little too high for what you get, but no matter what, it is quite something. Very Happy

Hmmm, It's not realy clear to me wether it is a laptop or a PC, however you said PC but many people call their laptop PC too so...

However, looking at what's inside of your computer.

- 2GB RAM, That's quite good for a laptop but for a PC worth 2200$+ You should have been able to get 4GB RAM.

320GB Hard Drive, Also good fo ra laptop but 2200$ should have gotten you 500 GB

Intel Core 2 E6600 2.4 GHz processor, this is quite good.

ASUS EN7600GT SILENT grapichs card, You pay more for the silence but mine isn't silenced and I tell you, you can't hear it. So a bit a waste of money.

SO:

- If you are a gamer; You should never have bought a computer but have built your own, because with 2200$ you could have got a way better and faster computer but without warrenty.

- If you are NOT a gamer you should never have wasted this much money on a computer in the first place, Then you should have bought the HP pavilion 7510 Wink
TheGeek
Nice system but all in all you spent a good deal too much on it. You should have been able to get that system for atleast a few hundred dollars cheaper.
diduknowthat
erlendhg wrote:
I don't know about the PSU.
I think it seems just fine Smile

Specifications are to be found here:
http://www.nexustek.nl/nx5000.htm

It has 31amps on the 12v+ rail, not high for 500 watts, but definetly enough for your system.
Helios
Woah, that's ******' too much money you spent.
No matter though! Money is rechargeable, as I say.
At least you enjoy your new rig now! Have fun man! Very Happy
erlendhg
Well, it is not a laptop, it is a desktop, and I built it myself.
Youīre right when you say it was expensive, but I think everything is quite more expensive in Norway. Thatīs just how things work.

...And Iīm not a gamer. I'm a newb software developer Razz
psycosquirrel
Everything is a lot more in Norway than the USA, you did not spend too much if it was all purchased there.

As for the power supply, it is not bad. It will work great for your use. For those wondering, it has two 12v rails with a total of 31A on it. It is a high-quality PSU, but (as always) there are better. The PSU was a much better decision than say, a Ultra or FSP PSU. I would say it is about as good as a Seasonic, so you probably dropped quite a bit of money on it.

As for the graphics card statement I made earlier, if you are not gaming, then you have the perfect graphics card. The e6600 is an awesome CPU to be doing development on, and 2Gb of RAM gives it plenty of room to stretch its legs.
Jaan
THAT is a good PC, though what's the video card? And yeah, it appears you got ripped on the price Sad