FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Mozilla vs IE

NjRocket
Hey guy, i got my site working fine in mozilla, but it doesnt work right in IE, the main content in the center is on the botton instead of the top where it should be. Can anyone test it out for me on any browsers you have and tell me if it works. So basically, state the browser and tell me if the site works fine? Thanks

www.sportschatter.frih.net
budazz
well used standard based website... it should be browser friendly to find out more go to cssbeauty.com or w3.org it may solve your problem
Donutey
I'm assuming you've made your site using either percentages or widths. With IE 6 you need to leave some extra space because of the way it rounds. Such as having the percentages add up to less than 100% or the width in pixels less than the given width.
biedr0na666
hey, you know how to cheat IE (generally?) look at this piece of CSS code:

Code:

height: 28px !important;
height: 30px;
display: block;
padding-top: 5px !important;
padding-top: 3px;

Mozilla, Opera (and other nice browsers) would make the thing 28px high and set padding-top to 5px.
Whereas IE doesn't understand keyword '!important' and takes whatever value you set last (here height 30px and padding-top 3px)
littlegiant
Looks fine in Opera.

However, did you know that the percentages you have set for the table cells holding the Ryan Howard pic and info don't add up to 100%? You have the first cell set at 48% and the second one at 50%. Could be IE is choking on that and spreading your table out of proportion.

Also you might want to try and validate this page to see if you can run down the error in IE that way. I just ran it through the W3C validator and it came up with 71 errors.
evilryu530
looks good in IE, i have no problem,
coreymanshack
biedr0na666 wrote:
hey, you know how to cheat IE (generally?) look at this piece of CSS code:

Code:

height: 28px !important;
height: 30px;
display: block;
padding-top: 5px !important;
padding-top: 3px;

Mozilla, Opera (and other nice browsers) would make the thing 28px high and set padding-top to 5px.
Whereas IE doesn't understand keyword '!important' and takes whatever value you set last (here height 30px and padding-top 3px)

holy crap i didn't know about that... that is a good tidbit of info, but do you think Microsoft will have fixed this in the latest version of IE?
rein
Nah, they're too dumb to understand the box-model every other browser uses for padding-width-margin. Besides, most people still use an older version of IE anyhow. It's best just to work around the microsoft-mistake.

Lots of info if you google "css box model hack"
coreymanshack
i've actually never really ever heard of it... thanks for the info man!
biedr0na666
coreymanshack wrote:

holy crap i didn't know about that... that is a good tidbit of info, but do you think Microsoft will have fixed this in the latest version of IE?

I'm sure that everything will look alright with new wersion of IE. This is because too many websites' CSSs have been made using that way-around. All the templates for Joomla/Mambo I've seen use this. Microsoft can't just change everything.

And yes, that seems to be one of Microsoft's problems. When everybody's made their way around already, they can't just set it straight. They have to toe the line and make it work somehow:)
biedr0na666
NjRocket, I tried to replace the following in your html code and it seems to work fine:

Code:

&nbsp; <i><b><font size="4">Ryan Howard chasing the homerun record? </font></b>
</i>
<table style='width: 470px !important; width: 450px;' border="0">

but you could alternatively employ your css (it could be even menu.css) to do the job (which is by far better alternative):

Code:

<table id='foo'>

and in your 'menu.css' file place sth like this:
Code:

#foo
{
width: 470px !important;
width: 450px;
border: 1px solid #999;
background: #EEE;
}

looks cool, doesn't it?Smile this it the whole idea behind CSS. start using it and you'll never stop:)

have fun with your website!
Leptitpoucet
A lot of Javascipts and Dhtml code don't work with Firefox
NjRocket
ugh it still doesnt work right in IE, any ideas why?

check my source at www.sportschatter.frih.net/test.html
coreymanshack
wuts up with the double post? and your site seems to be really coming along!
tidruG
Just removed the double post.
achene
The site worked fine here.

Achene