FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Mysteriously and unpleasantly my pc shuts down..





Da Rossa
Hi folks,
Recently it's been happening something very unpleasant over here: my pc is shutting down unexpectedely while I'm sleeping. I put my downloads to run and expect to get them finished as I wake up, but I approach and have this awful surprise.
As I know this can be due to N factors, I'll not ask you how to solve it, but instead I'd like to ask if you know any minor program to monitor things like that. Not exactely a chronometer or custom clock, but something that records "events" each 2 minutes and store the time, so when I switch it on again, I'll know exactely the time it happened. The suspects are: my dog, which might have dragged the wire, and my secretary, when brooming the room. Or else some mysterious malware that triggers something here.
Any help? Very Happy
ezekiel_rage
Da Rossa wrote:
Hi folks,
Recently it's been happening something very unpleasant over here: my pc is shutting down unexpectedely while I'm sleeping. I put my downloads to run and expect to get them finished as I wake up, but I approach and have this awful surprise.
As I know this can be due to N factors, I'll not ask you how to solve it, but instead I'd like to ask if you know any minor program to monitor things like that. Not exactely a chronometer or custom clock, but something that records "events" each 2 minutes and store the time, so when I switch it on again, I'll know exactely the time it happened. The suspects are: my dog, which might have dragged the wire, and my secretary, when brooming the room. Or else some mysterious malware that triggers something here.
Any help? Very Happy


It may not even be any of the reasons you have stated above, although they seem plausible.

What i suggest before you add any monitoring software (trherby adding to your system load which could affect system performance), is that ou check your power settings.

Check if you have power saving activated. Both in the OS and in the BIOS.

You may have your PC set to suspend/shutdown after sometime of inactivity.

Even though you have applications running, you PC may still go to standby/suspend or even shutdonw because what the OS and /or BIOS monitors is the keyboard and mouse activity.

When there is no mouse or keyboard input after the alloted wait time, the power saving features are triggered.

What I suggest is that you set you Power saving setings to "Always ON" (in windows)

Or turn off power saving features in your BIOS Settings.

That way even if you leave your PC ON overnight, it will not go to suspend/statndby mode even with out user input through the mouse and keyboard.


Hope this helps
clip
True, power saving could be one reason. But i'd suggest that you still run through virus scans and malware scans. You can never be too sure. Very Happy
Da Rossa
Thanks Ezekiel, but if it's about the energy settings you change under the xinxp control panel, then there's nothing wrong. They're set to never shut anthing besides teh monitor.
And about the software, I wouldn't mind losing resources while I'm not using my pc. The monitoring program would halt when I come back.
I can't check the BIOS right now, but I will! Thanks

Clip, I honestly doubt if the reason is malware. I'd an educated user, Very Happy
orcaz
it could oso be due to overheating of the computer which leads to shutting down... I had an experience when I was playing DotA and the computer suddenly shut down, and after touching the case, I found that it was hot.
Pikokola
Over heat?
I don't think so...
I never heard a pc shut down itself because of over heat and still can be turned off corectly..

ususaly when you pc shutted down by overheat, thats mean something blowed up there Sad

CMIIW
Da Rossa
Pikokola wrote:
Over heat?
I don't think so...
I never heard a pc shut down itself because of over heat and still can be turned off corectly..

ususaly when you pc shutted down by overheat, thats mean something blowed up there Sad

CMIIW


I disagree too. I normally leave the pc on 24/7. Today I slept here in this bedroom, I woke up with the pc on. Very Happy
XeononyX
I strongly suggest running Hijack this and running it through the online log checker at http://www.hijackthis.de/ This has singlehandedly eliminated 80% of all my mal-ware problems in the past and has a knack of pointing out the hidden details in your operating system. Awsome tool, and with the log file analizer site is extremely user friendly and useful, so you don't have to be a genius to understand the log file.

PS. at the analizer site there is a link for the direct download of version 1.99 which is quite useful and time-saving IMO.
XeononyX
Pikokola wrote:
Over heat?
I don't think so...
I never heard a pc shut down itself because of over heat and still can be turned off corectly..

ususaly when you pc shutted down by overheat, thats mean something blowed up there Sad

CMIIW


Depends if your motherboard has temperature meters, they good ones will shut down your system before damage is done. And yes it does attempt to shut it down properly.
Da Rossa
Highjack this! haven't found anything suspicious Sad
XeononyX
Well thats great new and bad news I guess, how old is the system and how often does it mysteriously shut down?

My first guess would be the power supply. Start off by changing the surge protector and/or the power cable itself, you never know it could be as easy as that, still if no help I would recommend having your power supply tested (by yourself or a professional)
Da Rossa
XeononyX wrote:
Well thats great new and bad news I guess, how old is the system and how often does it mysteriously shut down?

My first guess would be the power supply. Start off by changing the surge protector and/or the power cable itself, you never know it could be as easy as that, still if no help I would recommend having your power supply tested (by yourself or a professional)


It's been four days since it happened the last time. We got a holiday here in Brazil (Sept 7, independence,etc) and my secretary hasn't come for the last 4 days. Coincidence? Smile
QrafTee
Pikokola wrote:
Over heat?
I don't think so...
I never heard a pc shut down itself because of over heat and still can be turned off corectly..

ususaly when you pc shutted down by overheat, thats mean something blowed up there Sad

CMIIW

Actually you're incorrect because my notebook computer does indeed shut down automatically when it overheats to prevent any extensive damage to its components. So it is my belief that the computer is shutting down by itself because it it in fact overheating. Is the tower held in a cramped place or something, is the fan filled with dust and particles? That and many other reasons may add up to it overheating overnight.
Da Rossa
But my pc, in the case, had NEVER, as far as I know, raised beyond the temperature of 54C. I think it's physical.
XeononyX
Da Rossa wrote:
XeononyX wrote:
Well thats great new and bad news I guess, how old is the system and how often does it mysteriously shut down?

My first guess would be the power supply. Start off by changing the surge protector and/or the power cable itself, you never know it could be as easy as that, still if no help I would recommend having your power supply tested (by yourself or a professional)


It's been four days since it happened the last time. We got a holiday here in Brazil (Sept 7, independence,etc) and my secretary hasn't come for the last 4 days. Coincidence? Smile


Ya I agree .. It's probably something loose somewhere I would try changing which socket you plug it into; maybe a different surge protector (they can go out after age); or another power cord I dont think it's a coincidence, she probably gets to cleaning and knocks a cord loose or something.
clip
Pikokola wrote:
Over heat?
I don't think so...
I never heard a pc shut down itself because of over heat and still can be turned off corectly..


there are some mobos that shuts the computer down if exceeded a specific temperature. usually 60 degress C. Mine does, esp. that I'm using Athlon XP and you all know how hot it becomes after a while.

And back to topic, have you tried looking at your CPU fans? If everything still seems working fine. It could be your download manager. Some Download managers shuts your computer down after finishing downloads.
Da Rossa
Somebody recomended me to use the program SpeedFan. Seems to be very nice. Right now, the temperature is (probable the CPU's) 46C. And this mobo, Asus A7V8X-X, is set to shut down when it reaches 90C. Hardly it reaches 54C. Don't know the exact value for the shut-down trigger, but it's far bigger than 46.
XeononyX
clip wrote:
It could be your download manager. Some Download managers shuts your computer down after finishing downloads.


Good point. You have checked on this already correct?

And BTW speedfan is an excellent program.

If you want a free in-depth system report and benchmark program check this one out, I was quite pleased with the program:

http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/

http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.html?dir=dload&location=sware_dl_3264&langx=en&a=

takes you straight to the download.

there's a free version .. I'd be glad to help you with it but it is quite straightforward.
Da Rossa
Good point too about the download managers, but I took care of them. I did not set anyone to shut the pc, although I noticed the option.

About the benchmark, I used Sandra 2007 once, but I'm funny: I didn't understand the results Sad Besides, I have no reference to compare the results found, to evaluate if my system/hardware is optimized or not. Sad
Related topics
Yahoo shuts down private rooms
Problems with new home made PC
Court shuts down German wikipedia site
Windows problems (here we go again -.-)
HELP! My PC shuts down unexpectedly!
Can I Get A Mac OS on my PC? [noob os question]
Bluetooth problem
Combo 52x Drive cannot read non-video DVDs
My PC always restart ?!!?!
Hibernate or ShutDown?
Your Computer Has Recovered From A Serious Error! What?
Computer shuts down, Help
Stranged thing ever happend on your pc
PC will not play video on card or on onboard graphics
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Software

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.