FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Suspected Motherboard Problem

djwayno
hello everyone, i was wondering if anyone can help me.

i do not know if this is a motherboard problem for certain but its what i think it may be.

i brought a brand new computer about 4 months ago. It was working completley fine until my little siser decided to pull the power lead out the back of it. Now when you switch the PC on all that happens is the screen stays black and the cd-drive lights keep flashing.

At first i thought it may be the power unit because she pulled the power lead out why it was switched on. but i have brought a brand new one and the problem is still the same.

It is not the hard drive because i have tryed the harddrive in another machine and it works perfect.

So i think it may be something to do with the motherboard.

So heres the details of whats happening. i switch the computer on but nothing actually happens. the screen stays black, and the green light on my dvd drive just keeps flashing. If you leave it on for hours its the same when you come back. Still flashing.

would be great if anyone has had this problem and has fixed it. Would be so greatfull if you can help me here.

Thanx
diduknowthat
Try resetting the cmos.
djwayno
How do you do this mate. Im not really trained with all this sort of stuff.
djwayno
Well i used this grid to check against the bleep test thingy.

1 short beep: Normal POST - system is ok
2 short beeps: POST Error - error code shown on screen
No beep: Power supply or system board problem
Continuous beep: Power supply, system board, or keyboard problem
Repeating short beeps: Power supply or system board problem
1 long, 1 short beep: System board problem
1 long, 2 short beeps: Display adapter problem (MDA, CGA)
1 long, 3 short beeps: Enhanced Graphics Adapter (EGA)
3 long beeps: 3270 keyboard card

i am getting no bleeps at the moment. i tryed a different power unit same thing happening.

Still no bleeps, so this must be a motherboard problem right ?
Bones
I would start by removing all the unnecessary hardware (sound card, cd/dvd drives, NIC cards etc) untill you are left with the bare minimum needed to boot the pc and see if it will boot for you then. If it does, start adding the hardware back in, one piece at a time untill it will not boot..then you have found your problem

Though I think you are correct in that the problem is on the board..possibly a bad CMOS since the pc won't even POST, though it is possible that a bad piece of hardware is preventing the post from happening.

Step 2 - kill the lil sister Laughing

Since you are not trained in this sort of thing though, you should seriously consider taking the pc to a hardware tech since messing around in the system when you arent familiar with that sort of thing may make the problem worse.
djwayno
ok thank you for you advise. i have tryed running the computer with just the basic hardware. It still doesnt give me no beeps. So im guessing that it is defentley the motherboard.

i guess ill just buy a new one and see if that fixes the problem.

Thanx again
Bones
just out of curiosity...have you checked to make sure that the pc speaker inside the case is connected to the motherboard? If it isn't plugged in then you wont hear the beeps
Donutey
Bones wrote:
just out of curiosity...have you checked to make sure that the pc speaker inside the case is connected to the motherboard? If it isn't plugged in then you wont hear the beeps

Yea, some motherboards the speaker isn't built in, you might want to check on that.
djwayno
yeah i have checked this. The computer used to give just one beep when it was working ok. Now theres none and the computer dont work.
Sunny
You said just 4 months old, then where is the warranty gone?

It does seems to be a motherboard problem. But i'd be still tempted to remove the ram, clean the slot with a brush and place it back.I don't think resetting cmos would be any help in this case.
XeononyX
djwayno wrote:
How do you do this mate. Im not really trained with all this sort of stuff.

There's 2 ways to do it and I strongly recommend resetting your BIOS before purchasing a new motherboard.

1) There is always a clear cmos jumper on your board, sometimes obvious, sometimes not, pretty much what you do is close the jumper and activate the power switch and it will clear it out.

2) The easy layman way: Theres usually a watch battery looking thing on your board this is what keeps you CMOS memory going. simply pull the battery and let it sit for about 10 minutes and reinsert the battery, this also will clear it.

They if you still can't get anything then if you have a Video card Reseat that card, (pull it out, and put it back in) since video is the top priority with the board reseating the video card kinda tricks the motherboard "Hey there's something new here". Also Reseating ram sticks and other cards too help also especially the RAM.

edit: Sorry I didn't state but CMOS = BIOS, im just used to calling it the BIOS
prototype_angel
djwayno wrote:
hello everyone, i was wondering if anyone can help me.

i do not know if this is a motherboard problem for certain but its what i think it may be.

i brought a brand new computer about 4 months ago. It was working completley fine until my little siser decided to pull the power lead out the back of it. Now when you switch the PC on all that happens is the screen stays black and the cd-drive lights keep flashing.

At first i thought it may be the power unit because she pulled the power lead out why it was switched on. but i have brought a brand new one and the problem is still the same.

It is not the hard drive because i have tryed the harddrive in another machine and it works perfect.

So i think it may be something to do with the motherboard.

So heres the details of whats happening. i switch the computer on but nothing actually happens. the screen stays black, and the green light on my dvd drive just keeps flashing. If you leave it on for hours its the same when you come back. Still flashing.

would be great if anyone has had this problem and has fixed it. Would be so greatfull if you can help me here.

Thanx

I had a similar problem, pulling out the plug/some surge can cause damage to the power supply component of the motherboard. It's this 24 pin thing from the smps, you can first check usinga multimeter wether the motherboard is getting the power it needs before jumping to conclusions.