FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Which CPU to get?!

a.Bird
I've always been an AMD guy. There are so many new CPUs out now, I'm still on my Barton 2600+ Solid as hell but I need a mobo/cpu upgrade with a faster frontside bus. What should I look for these days as a rock solid CPU? Should I consider switching to Intel? Also, what is the memory support on most new boards for PC3200 (DDR1) as I have 1.5 gigs of it that I would love not having to replace. Thanks so much.
new user
a.Bird wrote:
I've always been an AMD guy. There are so many new CPUs out now, I'm still on my Barton 2600+ Solid as hell but I need a mobo/cpu upgrade with a faster frontside bus. What should I look for these days as a rock solid CPU? Should I consider switching to Intel? Also, what is the memory support on most new boards for PC3200 (DDR1) as I have 1.5 gigs of it that I would love not having to replace. Thanks so much.

Although you like AMD, I have a very good experience with 800 Mhz FSB Pentium. If you buy a regular DDR 400 motherboard with 4 memory slots, then you won't have any problems with memory, and I'd choose an 800 Mhz FSB ASrock, AGP, PCI-e depending on which one do you have.
a.Bird
Thanks for the reply! I do have a handful of outdated AGP cards, but as PCI-express is much better and the future of high peripherals, including videocards, I think I might as well go that route. My mom has a 3200+ I think, but I know it has a 800mhz fsb, and the OS never stutters. She also only has about 512mb of ram. I've three times as much ram but half the bus speed and my rig isn't nearly as tough as hers. *sigh*

Another ?... will DDR ram perform in DDR2 slots?
diduknowthat
a.Bird wrote:

Another ?... will DDR ram perform in DDR2 slots?

No it will not, DDR is 184pin and DDR2 is 240 pin, not compatible.

As to your original question. All new CPU' (AM2 and Core 2 duo) uses DDR2 ram. DDR is going to be slowly phased out.
a.Bird
But I've seen socket 939 mobos with DDR channels. Confused
TomS
a.Bird wrote:

I don't get that! We're talking about DDR2 and DDR1 Ram... Socket 939 isn't able to communicate with the DDR2 but with the DDR1... Good CPU: Amd Athlon 64 X2 4200+ but think about switching to Intel the newest Conroes or Core Duo must be great!

Good MoBo:Asus M2N-E (Sound, Gigabit-LAN, SATA2 RAID)
erlendhg
You should really concider switching to Intel, now that the new Core 2 (Conroe) and Xeon 5100 (Woodcrest) processors has come.

I bought one Core 2 E6600 with 2.4 GHz and 4 MB cache.
http://www.frihost.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=420116#420116
Rocky3478
The above poster is right. Intel really hurt AMD when the Conroe chips came out. Even the middle CPU in that line (The E6600 I think) demolishes the AMD FX series chips. I wouldn't even think about AMD right now....
psycosquirrel
6400 actually. The 6600 is high-end and the 6800 is the best one.

I third the Conroe reccommendation. I have a 939 system and I am considering upgrading soon...
a.Bird
Thank you all. Very Happy
diduknowthat
a.Bird wrote:

But socket 939 isn't new now is it? Very Happy
a.Bird
diduknowthat wrote:
a.Bird wrote:

But socket 939 isn't new now is it? Very Happy

Gotcha. I'm extremely out of the loop. Older 939 chips will work with DDR1, however "AM2 and Core 2 duo" do not?
photon
yeah, am2 and core 2 duo need ddr2... even the pentium d lineup need that