FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

GIMPshop issue!! help please!

Da Rossa
Motivated by some conversations here, I downloaded the GIMPshop, the GIMP mod made to look more like photoshop. BUT the interface is just exactely like the original GIMP, nothing intuitive and nothing that remembers photoshop!! Did I forget/miss something?
Running win XP here.

Screenshot:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/darossa/gimpshop.jpg
LukeakaDanish
Here's a screenshot of what "gimpshop" should look like:

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/33/8159/1024/GIMPShop-Windows2.jpg

...I think it may just be VERY MUCH LIKE the gimp :S...

Try opening new image to see if the menu's at the top have changed.
{name here}
Whoop-de-doo! They added a back window to the GIMP and kept the same clunky interface! That is soooo photoshop Rolling Eyes . It seems like they added a lot of bugs because they don't use the latest GTK, too. I drew a line and it crashed until I replaced glib with a more current version(which was from Glade32, a GTK installation for windows that I didn't realise was in an eastearn character set until I updated sheepshaver's GTK one day)

At least the GIMPshop's seperate windows don't clog up the taskbar like the regular GIMP. That's the only real gain outside of the photoshop menus.
Da Rossa
LukeakaDanish wrote:

Didn't work.
The link is broken.

{name here}, so you're saying it is currently stupid to use the GIMPshop as it is immature and full of bugs yet?
LukeakaDanish
Da Rossa wrote:
LukeakaDanish wrote:

Didn't work.
The link is broken.

{name here}, so you're saying it is currently stupid to use the GIMPshop as it is immature and full of bugs yet?

The link IS working for me Smile

Im NOT saying gimpshop is bad (i've never used it)....

Just make a screenshot when you've opened an image or something...(it alreay looks lke its worked tbh...)...
sceptileex
As a photoshop user, i could never get used to that O.O. Thank god for photoshop's clean interface man, that totally dosent cut it :/
LukeakaDanish
sceptileex wrote:
As a photoshop user, i could never get used to that O.O. Thank god for photoshop's clean interface man, that totally dosent cut it :/

Haha...you know..the funny thing is I really dont agree Smile

Im a dedicated GIMP user and i HATE photoshops interface - there's no space for the image and all the important tools are impossible to find and very difficult to use...

I think what's really the point is:

The GIMP and Photoshop are actually equally good - it just depends on what your used to...Confused
{name here}
Da Rossa wrote:
LukeakaDanish wrote:

Didn't work.
The link is broken.

No, I'm saying it's the EXACT same thing as the GIMP, but with a big grey window and no GIMP windows cluttering your taskbar. The only reason GIMPshop has any bugs is it is using an old GLib. Many of the bugs were gone when I replaced it with a more recent version.
Da Rossa
Actually GIMP is considered "uglgy" just because people are too used to the Photoshop. However the gimp interface is more firendly, when you get used. PS has that tiny buttons/characters in the flotating windows, difficult to hit.

Anyway... is photoshop REALLY more powerful than gimp?
{name here}
Da Rossa wrote:
Actually GIMP is considered "uglgy" just because people are too used to the Photoshop. However the gimp interface is more firendly, when you get used. PS has that tiny buttons/characters in the flotating windows, difficult to hit.

I think differently about why the interface is ugly. When I first used GIMP I found it to be really screwy, and difficult to use. After trying several pixel art editors, Pixel(a photoshop clone not to my liking), and Fireworks, the only one that I really felt was useful and easy to use was fireworks, and I've sticked to that ever since.l
LukeakaDanish
Da Rossa wrote:

No. Its not more powerful as such. There are SOME features in PS which GIMP dont have but there are also quite a few nifty features in GIMP that PS doesnt have - so I'd say they're equally powerful.

The good thing about the gimp is that, because of the fact that there are less menubars and other *rubbish*, you have more space for the image!