FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Installing Forums

NjRocket
Hey guys, if i install forums on frihost, and i happen to change hosts, do i lose my forums? Just curious if i will lose all my members and have to start the install all over again with the new host.
mathiaus
No all the data is stored in your database which can be exported and imported to your new host.

-moved-
kerouac
One tip: if your data is over 2mb then forget about using the ACP in PHPBB2 to export/import, the recommended route is to use phpMyAdmin, which begs the question is phpMyAdmin included for members use?
mathiaus
kerouac wrote:
is phpMyAdmin included for members use?

At Frihost, yes Smile
NjRocket
ok so if i set my forums up on a database on frihost, and they seem to be getting hits and i need to get a new host to support the amt of bandwidth usage, i could just transfer it without losing my members?

PS If i buy a domain name, can i link it to frihost, so i could just type in the .net domain name in the browser instead of the .frih.net. Once the site the is loaded, would the url in the browser say .frih.net?
mathiaus
If you buy a domain you can either point it your frih.net domain and show that url or have it as a seperate domain and only that URL will show rather than your frih.net one.
NjRocket
mathiaus wrote:
If you buy a domain you can either point it your frih.net domain and show that url or have it as a seperate domain and only that URL will show rather than your frih.net one.

Ok and frihost doesnt care if i was to do the second option of only showing me .net or .com url, and not show frih.net anywhere? or is that a problem?
mathiaus
Not at all, you have the choice Very Happy