FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I Need Motivation :(

izcool
I want to relive the glory days when I was with my old gaming site - http://www.giropets.net/.

I sold that site for around $600.00 a couple of years ago since I was getting withdrawls from programming for long hours in front of my computer.

Well, ever since I've taken all of that time off, I'm starting to think about how great things were back in the day when I was working on that site, and I want to relive that time "in the now". (Movie quote from Wayne's World lol).

Anyways, my new site is basically the same idea as what my old site was, but instead of being pets, it's robots. http://vb.izcool.be/ (Proudly hosted by FriHost). Virtual world and all, but just that one difference.

I've started some of the site but I just cannot find the motivation to do anything on it.

I've devised more and more ways of wasting time when I'm home in front of my computer. Is there anything that anyone here can suggest to me to try to stop wasting time and working on my new site ? Thanks in advance.

- Mike.
myrevolt
Is giropets a rip-off of neopets or did they copy you? I remember spending many hours on neopets...about 7 years ago.
Blaster
icoolz dude that site looks good so far. I think it could be a success. Just take a little time each day and work on it. You dont' have to spend every minute of your internet time on it.
izcool
myrevolt wrote:
Is giropets a rip-off of neopets or did they copy you? I remember spending many hours on neopets...about 7 years ago.

I was one of the first few sites to make "our own versions" of NeoPets. The thing blew out of propotion and I don't want to go back to that sort of site idea, so that's why I'm throwing that change in there. Reason on why I say that instead of "copy" is that all cars have steering wheels and that no one is claiming that the steering wheel was their invention. BTW, the Tomagotchi influenced NeoPets. Think about that.

So how do you propose I get myself motivated for this new site ?

- Mike.
a.Bird
Mike one bit of advice I can give is to get some help! Haha but seriously, I'm interested in helping you with the project for free, just as a learning experience. I can assure you that most of my life is, sadly, devoted to my computer. I have something thrown up right now on my frihost account, http://abird.frih.net , if you wanna take a look. It's nothing special but as you can see but I did learn a lot of new stuff about css when making it and I'm looking into databasing right now (however the learning curve is a nightmare).

Anyways, whether or not you would like to give me an apprenticeship, I can say that a little bit of work here and there with personal breaks in between is the way to go. Force yourself to leave your computer, the room it's in, the house the room is in, maybe go for a walk or look for 4 leaf clovers. Just get away from it and put your mind somewhere else for a little while. I find that working for hours on end gets tedious, boring, and draining. 20 minutes here and there with breaks in between helps me stay focused (suprisingly), refreshed and excited to keep the work flowing.
Yjaxygames
You need motivation? Ask yourself if you really want to do it. If you really want to set this all up. If the answer is yes, you should have motivation. If you answer no, I asume you have other hobbies you want to spend time on, or you're just lazy.
_-WU-_-TANG-_
I'm not really sure if I can help you but my little cousin loves that neopets thing. She spends hours on it.
Josso
Sounds like a cool new idea, I see what you mean about things you enjoyed doing and looking back. It's only been about 3 months since my abstract video production went out the window (because of PC problems) and it feels like forever. I was a lot happier when I had more constructive things to be doing.

I think you should just as mentioned before spend a couple of hours a day and go out on weekends somewhere. Shouldn't munch up too much of your time, web design and similar things do that but I manage to get around it even though I'm working on 4 sites including my own right now Shocked. That's why no-ones seen me around Laughing
snowboardalliance
It is tough sticking to something like a website/game. I am working on one now, and even when I had free time in the summer, I hardly did anything. I usually just work for like an hour or maybe a little longer 1-3 times a week, so I go pretty slow. I don't care really though, I mean, I could never get myself to do much more in between school and my social life, and eventually, I can get it done. Sorry if this seems off-topic.
kokziwen
i have been working on a forum and i decided to close it recently because the lack of visitors stream and i feel dissapointed on the effort i put on it but i just doen't work up.
my solution is:(hope it help u too)
take a rest as enough as u wanted till u gain the interest back.
it will be okay after a long rest.
Kaisonic
If you make it, cookies will come.
loon
well... what i can said is you need a goal (either abstract or concrete)... think back what motivate you to do your first website... it can be anything like fulfillment of having own websites(concrete).... and maybe this time your goal become vague or it might have chance... it is no longer the same goal that you pursued last time...

hope my advise help...
Rico
Read The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, by Stephen Covey
RhysAndrews
As a game designer and web designer, I think if you don't have motivation, the finishing product will be lousy. If you want motivation, play games that are similar to your idea, and if it's a good enough game you'll be motivated enough to make it yourself. But you know what makes the best games? Originality. Think of a completely new concept, work on that. If you want some help with your website (www.autumnhouseonline.com is my website), feel free to contact me via PM (or email if you can get my email address.. not sure if its on my profile).

-Rhys
rohan2kool
Rico wrote:
Read The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, by Stephen Covey

self help books help only one type of people => the book sellers who sell them and the authors. Coz the millions who buy them, remain unchanged.
jobzunlimited
Hey Best Of Lck For Your Site...
It looks great...
eday2010
Motivation comes to me in spurts. I started to redesign my site back in June, and worked on it a lot to get the layout the way I want it, but since then, I haven't really touched it. The daunting task of all the stuff I have still to do is kind of stopping me from jumping in and continuing. When that happens, I usually wait until I get motivated again; that usually happens when I see womething really cool on a website and think to myself that I want something that cool as well.

That, or if I am really bored one day, I just force myself to start working on it again. Once I do that, I usually get into it again very quickly. The biggest hurdle is forcing myself to open the files and work on them again. I always find something more fun to do, like games Razz
snowboardalliance
RhysAndrews wrote:
As a game designer and web designer, I think if you don't have motivation, the finishing product will be lousy. If you want motivation, play games that are similar to your idea, and if it's a good enough game you'll be motivated enough to make it yourself. But you know what makes the best games? Originality. Think of a completely new concept, work on that. If you want some help with your website (www.autumnhouseonline.com is my website), feel free to contact me via PM (or email if you can get my email address.. not sure if its on my profile).

-Rhys

True, it's good to get inspiration from other similar games/projects. I am working on a php text based mmorpg and I play www.cyber-wars.com and have been basing things off of that. It's good to get some ideas from elsewhere and then just go in your own direction. Too bad right now all I really have are ideas and not much finished.

eday2010 wrote:
Motivation comes to me in spurts. I started to redesign my site back in June, and worked on it a lot to get the layout the way I want it, but since then, I haven't really touched it. The daunting task of all the stuff I have still to do is kind of stopping me from jumping in and continuing. When that happens, I usually wait until I get motivated again; that usually happens when I see womething really cool on a website and think to myself that I want something that cool as well.

That, or if I am really bored one day, I just force myself to start working on it again. Once I do that, I usually get into it again very quickly. The biggest hurdle is forcing myself to open the files and work on them again. I always find something more fun to do, like games Razz

I find I'm the same way usually. In the summer I had plenty of free time, even times when none of my friends could do anything and I just had a day of wasting time and I found more often I would not bother touching my game. Then once in a while I could really get into it and get things done. Now with a tough schedule at school it's hard to be motivated when you only get a few hours a day when your not busy with something to do. And the funniest thing is when I can work on the game, a lot of times I don't, but when I have no time, I really wish I could work on it...
Scammy
Some real good motivation I find is to sit back and think, "Just imagine how much fun this will be when there'll be people from all over the world visiting my website."

Or if that doesn't do it for you, you could always just grab a notebook and start drawing the infinite symbol over and over again over itself (just keep trying to go over the last line you made) and it usually helps with giving me ideas and getting me up and ready to do something.
blackheart
I can't really give much advice on motivation, but I got my sister and a couple of her friends to sign up... hope they aren't too much trouble!
izcool
blackheart wrote:
I can't really give much advice on motivation, but I got my sister and a couple of her friends to sign up... hope they aren't too much trouble!

I thank you very much for that, but I think they'll be sorely disappointed since I'm still in a rut and still don't have much motivation to work on it. Sometimes it's where I'm just so sick of being down that I just work on it, because it's sometimes something that I can't stop thinking about. Is that sort of feeling common ?

- Mike.
blackheart
izcool wrote:
blackheart wrote:

I thank you very much for that, but I think they'll be sorely disappointed since I'm still in a rut and still don't have much motivation to work on it. Sometimes it's where I'm just so sick of being down that I just work on it, because it's sometimes something that I can't stop thinking about. Is that sort of feeling common ?

- Mike.

Alot of people feel like that at some stage in your life. Might sound kind of corny, but maybe you should actually seek out help. Depression is really common, and that could be what's happening to you. (It's pretty easily dealth witht too, in milder cases)
izcool
I don't exactly think that it's depression, but it might me. It could be my lack of the will of working on websites, as I spend a lot of time working on other things than that. So I think it's my motivation to do it, which is a big problem.

- Mike.
Aless
I know what you mean. I've had websites in the past, gotten bored, then given them away, and occassionally I will want them back. Usually I get over that and go live a real life Razz.
Scott
I'm AWFUL at finishing websites. I love coming up with them, doing the initial set-up and graphic design, but then I get stuck and unmotivated. However, this will soon change!

DaveThaDawg
When it comes to site design, i have a simelar problem.
I can only make a website if i have an intrest in the content.
Like if i was to make a clan site For Americas Army i could make a 20 page site in a fwe hours but, when i made my mums freinds companys site it taken me a month because lets face it i dont realy care much for cleaning products.
What im saying is that if u are loosing intrest then maybe u need a new project, something that will make u want to make a site. Very Happy
R2.DETARD
Just think,
would i be proud to say to Bill Gates/Steve Jobs
"hey check out my site:... I think you'll find the concept/code/layout interesting"
If not, keep trying.
Sava
I would like to help you get your site known ... but is it finished ?Very Happy

If you are interested in some affiliates .. pm me or reply here izcool
izcool
Sava wrote:
I would like to help you get your site known ... but is it finished ?Very Happy

If you are interested in some affiliates .. pm me or reply here izcool

Would be nice to have some link exchanges going on. I'll have to program some sort of an advertisement system though, but it might be awhile as it's sorta senseless promoting a site like mine that has nothing on it yet lol. Smile That would be ok though for me.

- Mike.
ArmaghBhoy
My wee sister loves them virtual pet sites! your new web page looks sweet!