FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Adding a black shadow

NjRocket
Hey guys, on my site, www.sportschatter.frih.net, i want to add a black shadow around the border, so it would almost be like a 3D effect and it would sharp. I plan to only do it around the image banner. Anybody know how i would do this?
Traveller
Although I would not be the best one to say, I believe you could apply the same principles as this post to achieve the desired effect. Just do it for the border instead of the actual text that the tutorial uses.
GB
Since it is an image, you can just add a shadow in your favorite photo editing program. One way is to add a shadow in Adobe Illustrator using the Effect>Stylize>Drop Shadow command although you can also add one in Photoshop. First make the canvas a bit bigger by using the Image>Canvas Size command. Then select the layer with the border on it and click the little "f" in a circle at the bottom of the layers pallette and select drop shadow. Use the settings in that menu to control how the drop shadow looks.

Hope that helps.
NjRocket
GB wrote:
Since it is an image, you can just add a shadow in your favorite photo editing program. One way is to add a shadow in Adobe Illustrator using the Effect>Stylize>Drop Shadow command although you can also add one in Photoshop. First make the canvas a bit bigger by using the Image>Canvas Size command. Then select the layer with the border on it and click the little "f" in a circle at the bottom of the layers pallette and select drop shadow. Use the settings in that menu to control how the drop shadow looks.

Hope that helps.

lol, i just checked my psd file, and it seems like none of the layers have a border. Anyway around this?
grade8_web
well I kinda have that effect on the site I am working on you could use adobe photoshop. Once your in with your image right click on the layer with the image and click Blending Options atleast I believe it is blending options and then select the select box on the side called drop shadow.

Then you should have your drop shadow save it as bmp or something other then .gif because .gif won't show the shadow propety.

Hope that helps.
Dragonfly-online
YOu could use the free alternative to photo- and paint-shop, the GIMP. Im not sure if you can make a shadow that goes transparent, but i do know that you can make a shadow that fades to whatever background color you use. However, when i visit ur site, its not there. Sad