FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Driving and Speeding

Billwaa
I recieved my driving permit in April, and now, I am really learning how to drive in the road. One thing I found that make me feel really odd is that even though the sign said the speed limit is 45 mph, but everyone else is going over that. People are always speeding. So evertime I drive, my mom made me go over at least 5 mph.

I am just wondering is this right. Should I really go over the speed limit just because everone does, and if I don't it probably make it danger for the people driving behind me because they are speeding. And they will get mad at me becuase I am driving too slow...

what should I do?
HoboPelican
Billwaa wrote:
what should I do?

You are gonna get a lot of input, I bet. Laughing

I'd suggest doing the 5 mph over bit. It is usually close enough that you aren't gonna get a ticket, and it keeps you closer to the speed of other law breakers. I think most bad accidents on the freeway are due to widely different speeds, but at least while you are getting bearings, stay close to the posted limit.

And, yeah, it's always a judgement call. Good luck!
izcool
Around here in Chicago, on the tollway (I-294), the speed limit here is 55MPH. Everybody here reads "55MPH" as "70MPH". Heck, I've seen people passing me up doing 80MPH or over when I was doing 70MPH, keeping up with traffic. I've been driving on my own ever since June 2005 (when I got my license) and I've found that if you don't keep up with everybody, you're going to upset drivers around you (especially on freeways like the one I'm describing) and that you might get rear-ended for going too slow. It's never happened to me yet but I'm trying to compensate.

The left lane on an expressway is generally considered as the "speedy lane", where people like to fly down and pass everybody up. The right lane is where all of the slow people go, so I like to stay in the middle lane (if there is one). The middle lane is a safe bet since all that you really have to watch is the people who are turning into your lane from the left and the right. With the "fast lane" you have to keep it going for the people behind you who want to go fast. I only go in that lane to pass up people who are going slower in the middle lane. With the right lane, you continiously have to slow down to allow other people to merge into your lane, who generally aren't going at the speed limit that everyone else is going.

Just remember this - cops can pull you over and give you a ticket for going too slow and endangering other drivers on the road, especially on expressways. It's never happened to me but it's something I was told from an officer who came to our class one day for questions about the road when I was in drivers ed.

The choice is up to you on if you want to speed or not.

These are just tips from what I've learned ever since I started driving in around October 2004. Hope I've helped.

EDIT :
If you're saying that you have a permit still, I wouldn't EVER speed when you're taking your exam to get your license. I was going below the limit when I took my exam and my tester was telling me to "speed up to the limit". That's probably one of the only times when I wouldn't speed.

- Mike.
a.Bird
You are not allowed to driver faster than the speed limit dude, it doesn't matter what "everyone else is doing". You might get away with it but following the flow doesn't give you the right to drive 70 in a 35 if six other street racers are doing it. Just relax and obey all the rules. Instructors want to see that you understand what's going on around your vehicle so you don't nail anything.
driftingfe3s
It is fine to go over the speed limit a bit when you are practicing, but when you actually take the test do not go faster then the speed limit it will count agianst you no matter how fast eveyone else is going.
Droop
izcool wrote:
Around here in Chicago, on the tollway (I-294), the speed limit here is 55MPH. Everybody here reads "55MPH" as "70MPH". Heck, I've seen people passing me up doing 80MPH or over when I was doing 70MPH, keeping up with traffic. I've been driving on my own ever since June 2005 (when I got my license) and I've found that if you don't keep up with everybody, you're going to upset drivers around you (especially on freeways like the one I'm describing) and that you might get rear-ended for going too slow. It's never happened to me yet but I'm trying to compensate.

The left lane on an expressway is generally considered as the "speedy lane", where people like to fly down and pass everybody up. The right lane is where all of the slow people go, so I like to stay in the middle lane (if there is one). The middle lane is a safe bet since all that you really have to watch is the people who are turning into your lane from the left and the right. With the "fast lane" you have to keep it going for the people behind you who want to go fast. I only go in that lane to pass up people who are going slower in the middle lane. With the right lane, you continiously have to slow down to allow other people to merge into your lane, who generally aren't going at the speed limit that everyone else is going.

Just remember this - cops can pull you over and give you a ticket for going too slow and endangering other drivers on the road, especially on expressways. It's never happened to me but it's something I was told from an officer who came to our class one day for questions about the road when I was in drivers ed.

The choice is up to you on if you want to speed or not.

These are just tips from what I've learned ever since I started driving in around October 2004. Hope I've helped.

EDIT :
If you're saying that you have a permit still, I wouldn't EVER speed when you're taking your exam to get your license. I was going below the limit when I took my exam and my tester was telling me to "speed up to the limit". That's probably one of the only times when I wouldn't speed.

- Mike.

Hah, I've been out there and know exactly where and what ur talkin about. it can be bad out there!!! but Really as far as speeding, u should really do what u feel comfortable with, weather it's going 5 over or the speed limit. But it's safe to say this cuz I do to it to this day. . I pass cops on the freeway doing 5miles over. Cuz even if they give u a ticket, its like less than 30 bucks and it doesn't go on ur record. They don't even really right those tickets.. but be safe and drive acordoning...
Nameless
Instead of writing a long rant about how stupid you would be for speeding, I am instead going to make three brief points.

- Just because lots of people do something doesn't make it right.
- Speeding is against the law. (This is a key point, pay attention)
- If you break the law you are a dick.

That is all.
pjv
Why do they put those signs anyway if nobody is abiding it? If your below limit, you are policemen friendly but not to drivers around you coz they will find you a bottleneck to the traffic. If you speed up, your cool, going with the flow but your not a law abiding citizen and you'll hav an opportunity for a ticket, you may be a risk to the traffic, etc. Think about it.
HoboPelican
Nameless wrote:

That is all.

Of course, I'm sure you obey every law, right? Always cross at the crosswalk, walk against traffic, don't pass a bike on a single lane road? Making a blanket statement is a dangerous thing. Not all laws make sense. Goggle "silly laws" and you'll stuff like this:
Quote:
Frankfort, Kentucky, makes it against the law to shoot off a policeman's tie.

Horses are forbidden to eat fire hydrants in Marshalltown, Iowa.

Idaho state law makes it illegal for a man to give his sweetheart a box of candy weighing less than fifty pounds.

In Denver it is unlawful to lend your vacuum cleaner to your next-door neighbor.

In Devon, Connecticut, it is unlawful to walk backwards after sunset.

In Greene, New York, it is illegal to eat peanuts and walk backwards on the sidewalks when a concert is on.

In Lexington, Kentucky, it's illegal to carry an ice cream cone in your pocket.

In Memphis, Tennessee, it is illegal for a woman to drive a car unless there is a man either running or walking in front of it waving a red flag to warn approaching motorists and pedestrians.

In Ohio, if you ignore an orator on Decoration day to such an extent as to publicly play croquet or pitch horseshoes within one mile of the speaker's stand, you can be fined $25.00.

In Pocatello, Idaho, a law passed in 1912 provided that "The carrying of concealed weapons is forbidden, unless same are exhibited to public view."

In Seattle, Washington, it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon that is over six feet in length.

I'm not saying you should speed, but I think it's a bit foolish to state that those who break any laws are dicks.
Droop
HoboPelican wrote:
Nameless wrote:

That is all.

Of course, I'm sure you obey every law, right? Always cross at the crosswalk, walk against traffic, don't pass a bike on a single lane road? Making a blanket statement is a dangerous thing. Not all laws make sense. Goggle "silly laws" and you'll stuff like this:
Quote:
Frankfort, Kentucky, makes it against the law to shoot off a policeman's tie.

Horses are forbidden to eat fire hydrants in Marshalltown, Iowa.

Idaho state law makes it illegal for a man to give his sweetheart a box of candy weighing less than fifty pounds.

In Denver it is unlawful to lend your vacuum cleaner to your next-door neighbor.

In Devon, Connecticut, it is unlawful to walk backwards after sunset.

In Greene, New York, it is illegal to eat peanuts and walk backwards on the sidewalks when a concert is on.

In Lexington, Kentucky, it's illegal to carry an ice cream cone in your pocket.

In Memphis, Tennessee, it is illegal for a woman to drive a car unless there is a man either running or walking in front of it waving a red flag to warn approaching motorists and pedestrians.

In Ohio, if you ignore an orator on Decoration day to such an extent as to publicly play croquet or pitch horseshoes within one mile of the speaker's stand, you can be fined $25.00.

In Pocatello, Idaho, a law passed in 1912 provided that "The carrying of concealed weapons is forbidden, unless same are exhibited to public view."

In Seattle, Washington, it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon that is over six feet in length.

I'm not saying you should speed, but I think it's a bit foolish to state that those who break any laws are dicks.

Now now, no name calling is needed, we're all here to voice our opinions on the situation Smile but yeah Very Happy we all know that the laws are made to protect ppl so it's safer to to do what the law says but always be aware that something may go down and you need to be alert. It's all about being safe!! So be safe!!!
mutagen
Don't give into temptation. Especially when you have a background in racing, and drive a beastly contraption. You are a young driver, and even though everyone around you is speeding 5 mph over the limit, the local police are alerted to your presence almost immediately.

Congratulations, you have just virtually painted a target on your head. All local law enforcement is in pursuit, waiting for you to slip up. Don't let them fufill their monthly quota with your violation. Careful out on the road, even going 3 mph over the speed limit, it is the officer's opinion of whether you were speeding that matters. Unless you want to miss out on school days because you are trying to relief points from your record through debate in court appearances, keep at the speed limit at all times.

Save travels!
traceyskene
mutagen wrote:
Don't give into temptation. Especially when you have a background in racing, and drive a beastly contraption. You are a young driver, and even though everyone around you is speeding 5 mph over the limit, the local police are alerted to your presence almost immediately.

Congratulations, you have just virtually painted a target on your head. All local law enforcement is in pursuit, waiting for you to slip up. Don't let them fufill their monthly quota with your violation. Careful out on the road, even going 3 mph over the speed limit, it is the officer's opinion of whether you were speeding that matters. Unless you want to miss out on school days because you are trying to relief points from your record through debate in court appearances, keep at the speed limit at all times.

Save travels!

i agree my son has just bought a new car a commodre ute 2006 model.. i belive it is way too fast
Ozzy
a.Bird wrote:
You are not allowed to driver faster than the speed limit dude, it doesn't matter what "everyone else is doing". You might get away with it but following the flow doesn't give you the right to drive 70 in a 35 if six other street racers are doing it. Just relax and obey all the rules. Instructors want to see that you understand what's going on around your vehicle so you don't nail anything.

So true. You don't want to jeopardise your permit by going 5mph over the speed limit "because everyone else is"...

Nameless wrote:
Quote:

WTF! No way that can be true! lolol
What about when that car hits the freeway? Haha.Those men running better be super fit!
Sickness
Quote:

Really? Rolling Eyes I hate this law
djwayno
we speed all the time on purpose. A Full member of UK Cruizin http://www.uk-cruzin.co.uk/index2.html

Its streets racing, but i do feel sorry for people who get caught considering we all cruize three nights a week and hardley ever get caught.
ThornsOfSorrow
My mom always told me, "5 over is okay, but 10 over is pushing it". I'd suggest going 5 mph over the speed limit, because everone else usually drives at least that. Going a little bit over the speed limit is probably the safest way because you're going almost as fast as the other cars while still staying only slightly above the speed limit.

However, if you really want to follow the law and drive the speed limit, I once saw someone with a sign in his back window saying, "Driving the speed limit. Sorry for the inconvenience". I thought that was a great idea because the politeness prevents anyone but the biggest ****** from getting mad at the person for driving "slow". So if you want to drive the speed limit, but are concerned about other people getting mad, I'd suggest doing something like that.
izcool
ThornsOfSorrow wrote:
However, if you really want to follow the law and drive the speed limit, I once saw someone with a sign in his back window saying, "Driving the speed limit. Sorry for the inconvenience". I thought that was a great idea because the politeness prevents anyone but the biggest ****** from getting mad at the person for driving "slow". So if you want to drive the speed limit, but are concerned about other people getting mad, I'd suggest doing something like that.

My question to you is when you seen that car with the paper in the back window, did you continue to follow it obeying the law like they are or did you pass them up ?

- Mike.
djwayno
Simply my answer to this if i seen this would be too put my foot down and over taking it. i dont have a problem with people who want to drive the speed limit. but i would much rather driver 30mph over the speed limit.

Yesturday why we were cruizin. There was 200+ cars all doing over 110 on the motorway. We dont care, its late at night. nobodys about and when your driving like that it feels like you have freedom.
socialoutcast
Consider this. There are signs which say the speed limit is 55mph (or whatever). This is the posted speed limit. The law does indeed say that it is illegal to exceed the posted speed limit. If in the case that everyone around you is driving considerably faster than the speed limit, does that still make it any more right, or legal, to speed with the rest of the cars on the road?

If you choose to speed along with everyone else on the road at that time, then don't you share the same risk as everyone else that a police officer will give you a ticket? (yeah, yeah, you can wine to the officer that "everyone else is doin' it.") I'll give you that one as a freebee. So, isn't it also true that if you speed that you are indeed breaking the law? After all, the law's the law. Get over it. And isn't it true that if you break the law, reqardless of how rediculess it may be that you could be penalized?

Consider this. When you speed, along with everyone else on the road at the same time as you, and just because everyone else is doing the same thing as you (or vise versa), does that make it anymore right to speed? Are you not breaking the any less just because more people are speeding? Just because there are more people speeding, does that not make police officers less likely to issue tickets? Or is it that weare just so desensitized to our own consciences that we are able to ignore what is right and wrong?

I tell you this as my advise, not just about speeding on the roadway, but something that can you can take with you in your decision making. Strive to do what is right for it is better then having to weave a web of self-justifications to cover up for your mistakes. If you do make a mistake, it is better own up to it and take (here it comes...) responciblity for your actions. ("If you get caught?")

That could be the next logical step for debate, but I'll save that for another topic.

--www.socialoutcast.co.nr--
yy1124
izcool wrote:
ThornsOfSorrow wrote:

My question to you is when you seen that car with the paper in the back window, did you continue to follow it obeying the law like they are or did you pass them up ?

- Mike.

Personally I like that idea, I was thinking to find something like that some weeks before.

I need them not for asking them to obey laws, I wanted to pass the message "I am driving at speed limit so stop flashing like you never flash before or honk like circus elephant and most importantly GET AWAY FROM MY BUTT". I really hate these guy who will "stick" to your car so close that any emergency break will cause a "BANG"
jveezy
It really depends on where you live.

In California, it's pretty much okay to go five to ten over. But considering you have only your permit and not your license yet, do not drive more than five over for now. That way when you take your test you'll be used to the speed and you won't have to adjust your speed down during the most crucial drive of your life.

After you do pass your test, just drive with the flow of traffic. Of course I don't mean 75 in a school zone if everyone else is doing it, but if everyone's going 10 over on a city street, you should probably do it too within reason.

People normally don't get too mad if you don't speed a little. After all, you are following the law. They shouldn't be demanding that you break it. But if you travel with the flow of traffic, it's a much smoother ride for everyone and you'll have less people changing lanes trying to pass you.

Actually, if you're going to drive at the speed limit and not over, it's probably best that you drive in the rightmost lane since that'll be the slowest one and that'll be close to the flow of traffic anyways so you won't have to worry too much.
chrisu
Before when I was younger I did some speeding and got a couple of speeding tickets. Both times I were doing about 30km/h (18mph) over the speedlimit and got a 117 (euros) speeding ticket. I guess I didn't learn from my first time when I had to speed after that. But when I got the second one I decided that now I will quit to pay easy money to the Government. So now my max speed is about 5-10 km/h over the speed limit.

Here in Finland we haven't got so much of what you could call freeways. The most roads are with one lane for each direction. In the southern Finland were there live more people there are some roads that you could call freeways.

Here in Finland we also got this proplem that if your your going at the speed limit speed you will be past. But it not as common as on your freeways. But it's funny why drivers with expensive cars (Mercedes, BMW, Audi) have to always overtake the cars in front. If you see a new Mercedes in the rear mirror you always know that he will drive past you when he gets the opportunity.

The most ridiculous are those that first drive past you and then drive a couple 100 meters and then turns off to another road. Why can't they only drive behind someone for those last 100 meters?
undoweb
I don`t have a driving permit, but in my country (Romania) enithing is possible. I like to go with a car slowly, to feel ( in romania the gaps ) and to watch at the rims!
CharKargis Olort
I think you would be better off driving close(within 5 mph) to the speed limit until you have some experience driving. Granted, to everyone who has posted before, speeding is illegal and the excuse everyone else is doing it doesn't really hold water. But to be wide awake and responding to the real world, it's gonna happen, there's not a whole lot anybody (including the police) can do about it, and if we can advise one person to try and keep safe until their knowledge of driving expands to the point where they can speed and STILL BE SAFE, then I say it is a moral duty to advise said person to keep it close to the limit.
snowboardalliance
I usually drive just about 4 mph over, so it's not really speeding, but a little faster. What sucks is when you have to get to my schooldown this super long driveway that is 15mph and there is so much traffic. There are supposidly cops around to give tickets but its hard to go much slower than 25 without people on your ass. Especially when most go about 35. I just try to slow down even more when I get near the parking lot where any police cars could be. I hope they go after the real speeders doing way more though.
sibbahz
I kept to the limit while learning with an instructor and during the test, but now ive passed, i have a habit of going slightly over, or a bit more over on the motorways at night where everyone who isnt in a lorry is speeding.
yaashop
If everyone does and nobody got a fine just go for it. in my case, from city center to my hometown is a bit far (about 40+km) i have to drive on a long road which no car but speed limit is 50km! of course i cant void to drive fast (and now i got a ticket 3 times coz of speeding) i wanna know that the person who set the speed limit will drive that slow on that road or not...
Hammy
Im also learnign to drive and i find that everyone on the road also is going faster than the limit. And i fnd it quite dangerous to stick the the limit because of others going faster and it force them to overtake you.

Esspecially with a 'L' sign on the car it's kind of a symble for 'Over take me now!' They speed up esspecially to overtake me. I hope to do my exam and test i nthe next few weeks tho.

Also note that say the speed limit her in england the motoways are 70mph for cars.. the speed cameras though are set to catch people when doing 76 or over... Thats jus to give the driver some margin for error.

Im sure i'll end up going as ast as everyone else to keep from holiding anyone up.
ThornsOfSorrow
izcool wrote:

- Mike.

I kept following him, and I made sure that I wasn't too close where he would think I was tailgating him. However, I'm sure that a lot of other people would pass someone like that, so you do have a valid point.
Srs2388
I think you should drive at the speed you are most comfortable at... but don't take what i say and dirve like 20 over the set limit that could be bad...
poiko123
Quote:
Before when I was younger I did some speeding and got a couple of speeding tickets. Both times I were doing about 30km/h (18mph) over the speedlimit and got a 117 (euros) speeding ticket. I guess I didn't learn from my first time when I had to speed after that. But when I got the second one I decided that now I will quit to pay easy money to the Government. So now my max speed is about 5-10 km/h over the speed limit.

Here in Finland we haven't got so much of what you could call freeways. The most roads are with one lane for each direction. In the southern Finland were there live more people there are some roads that you could call freeways.

Here in Finland we also got this proplem that if your your going at the speed limit speed you will be past. But it not as common as on your freeways. But it's funny why drivers with expensive cars (Mercedes, BMW, Audi) have to always overtake the cars in front. If you see a new Mercedes in the rear mirror you always know that he will drive past you when he gets the opportunity.

The most ridiculous are those that first drive past you and then drive a couple 100 meters and then turns off to another road. Why can't they only drive behind someone for those last 100 meters?

I've been to Finland several times and have seen this first hand. I agree with you that it doesn't make any sense. But I do like how there is a progressive cost for your speeding ticket depending on the income. It seems that since the Mercedes and BMWs are the ones speeding, they are actually getting fined more.
David_Pardy
After a few years of commuting over a distance of 75km every single weekday, I can safely say that you are SAFER to stick to the traffic speed, whether they are speeding or not. I'm on the freeway (110km/h limit) every single day, and have not seen a single speeding related accident during peak hours - every single accident I have seen has been due to drivers not looking where they're going, or rear-enders.

Keep in mind that during peak hours on this particular freeway the average speed is 130-140km/h. Some people often will hit between 160-180km/h when they're in a hurry and have the room to move - and this is in traffic!

But it all depends on your circumstances, on the road you're on, the weather, etc. 'Speeding' in itself is a word made up by governments to use for people driving faster than the speed they recommend for the road, pretty much any sealed road in the world can be driven on safely at speeds of up to 30% over the speed limit, and a lot of them you can go even faster on.

Also, street racing IS stupid and dangerous. Having a quick squirt of the throttle from a set of lights up to the speed limit is one thing, tearing along the city street in the middle of the night at 200km/h is just asking for trouble.

Governments do need to provide more facilities for drivers wishing to vent their inner racecar driver though. I know I certainly need to vent it (I WILL drive over 200km/h one day!)
seanooi
In Malaysia we use the metric system. So the speed limites would be displayed in KM/h

On highways the speed limit would mostly be 110KM/h (~68mph) but I would normally go around 120KM/h (74mph)
That's what most car would go but there are some who don't really car and would go to about 180-200KM/h (111-124mph) which is really crazy and stupid.
David_Pardy
I was doing about 65 the other day downhill in a 60 zone with a police car behind me. He turned on his lights, I pulled over, he took off, went through the next intersection (just turned green) around the bend and tore off to a different suburb.

I wish I had red and blue flashy lights and a loud siren Very Happy
Karl
If everybody just was as obidient to the laws as you guys!

One of the bad things with speeding is that it makes the traffic more unpredictable and decreases the flow of traffic.

This means that some of the delays on freeways is actually caused by the idiots that break the traffic rules.
Droop
David_Pardy wrote:
After a few years of commuting over a distance of 75km every single weekday, I can safely say that you are SAFER to stick to the traffic speed, whether they are speeding or not. I'm on the freeway (110km/h limit) every single day, and have not seen a single speeding related accident during peak hours - every single accident I have seen has been due to drivers not looking where they're going, or rear-enders.

Keep in mind that during peak hours on this particular freeway the average speed is 130-140km/h. Some people often will hit between 160-180km/h when they're in a hurry and have the room to move - and this is in traffic!

But it all depends on your circumstances, on the road you're on, the weather, etc. 'Speeding' in itself is a word made up by governments to use for people driving faster than the speed they recommend for the road, pretty much any sealed road in the world can be driven on safely at speeds of up to 30% over the speed limit, and a lot of them you can go even faster on.

Also, street racing IS stupid and dangerous. Having a quick squirt of the throttle from a set of lights up to the speed limit is one thing, tearing along the city street in the middle of the night at 200km/h is just asking for trouble.

Governments do need to provide more facilities for drivers wishing to vent their inner racecar driver though. I know I certainly need to vent it (I WILL drive over 200km/h one day!)

I totaly agree with u!!
David_Pardy
Karl wrote:
If everybody just was as obidient to the laws as you guys!

One of the bad things with speeding is that it makes the traffic more unpredictable and decreases the flow of traffic.

This means that some of the delays on freeways is actually caused by the idiots that break the traffic rules.

I don't see how speeding makes the traffic more unpredictable.

I can't predict the slow idiot in the middle lane merging into me while I'm next to them in plain view. People have almost done this about 3 or 4 times on the freeway, and who knows how many times on city streets - in crawl speed traffic! Not speeding!

More traffic problems are caused by people not indicating and not looking where they're going than by people who managed to skip ahead of 10 cars. Add to that the people who aren't prompt when it comes to getting moving after the lights turn green, or situations causing Christmas lighting (braking at the last second), and you've got a wonderful soup of chaotic traffic.

By the way: No accidents are caused by speeding. Accidents are caused by incompetence (being unable to take a corner correctly, or being one of those people who can't drive in a straight line), stupidity (taking a corner way too fast, or not looking where you're going), and downright bad luck (like if a kangaroo or deer wanders onto the road, or if some stupid person doesn't look where they're going and they cut you off).

Of course, there are always exceptions to everything to do with driving. After all, there are still millions of stupid people driving on our roads everyday, millions of incompetent people NOT getting into accidents regularly, and a few very capable drivers making mistakes or simply having a bad day.
slec
i am in NZ and there is an ads like

'its not the matter of drink and drinve, its how you drive'

its cool aye Very Happy
jb2_86_uk
The germans have the right idea, I wish they would derestrict the motorways in the uk.

During busy periods, I accept that having a bunch of trafic moving at 60mph and a vehicle approaching doing 90 is dangerous, so perhaps derestricting the highways during certain times would work. I work nights at the moment and more often than not, the motorways are deserted when I am driving both to and from work. Providing the conditions permit, I will quite easily find myself doing between 90 and 100 simply because I am not endangering others, nor do i feel I am endangering myself.

I think in the real world, its all about keeping comfortable and relaxed at the wheel. If you are happy with the conditions and want to break the law by speeding, then do so, but never endanger or give anyone grief who are sticking to the posted speed limits. Alternativly if you are one of those people who stick to speed limits then dont speed just to keep people happy, you are doing absolutly nothing wrong by obeying the laws.

At the end of the day, everyone is different and some people are in a hurry! Very Happy

JB

One last thing I would like to add is that if you do wish to stick to the speed limits - unless you're overtaking slower traffic - please stick to the slower lanes, one of my pet peeves is finding a car travelling in the middle lane of an empty motorway. I actually make a point to exagerate changing lanes behind and then infront of these people. Maybe in future I should just tailgate them in the middle lane until they move over
wolfpack
I am one of the worse people about speeding I am always in a hurry and feel the need to get where ever I am gong fast as I can........always run run run with me. But now the parent side of me says to obey the speed limit just sake of safety. Be safe on the roads cause most of us are not! Smile