FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Spanish or French?

Which language do you prefer (to teach, to learn, or anything else)?
Spanish
63%
 63%  [ 24 ]
French
36%
 36%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 38

Soulfire
Our school offers only 2 foreign language classes, and those are: Spanish and French.

Currently I am in Spanish 3 (junior in high school, highest level I can take). Now, I chose Spanish because I thought it was the language I'd most likely use, as it is faster-growing and spreads much more widely than French, but what are your thoughts?
lSaKenl
Well i'm a spanish language person... but i still think that for people who choose between spanish and french is better to learn spanish
why's that?
first language as the main language of the country in speaking is mandarin (there are more chinesse people than a whole continent)
the second one is spanish
and the 3rd is english

you would find it more useful and interesting that speaking french i think, of course, i wouldnt choose spanish since i might know more than the teacher, but you get my point.

Languages that i speak:
Spanish perfectly
English kind ok, you know, i might get couple mistakes but you still get my point

And i'd like to speak
German
Japanesse

^^
poiko123
I am quite sure you are mistaken about...
Quote:
first language as the main language of the country in speaking is mandarin (there are more chinesse people than a whole continent)
the second one is spanish
and the 3rd is english

Mandarin (as you stated), English and Hindi are all ahead of Spanish. Spanish is 4th and Arabic is 5th.
Not to deviate from the topic...so I would take French. Consider all of the Spanish translators in America now days. It would be more advantageous to know French or German as a business language (although apparently your school does not offer it).
Just my two cents...
rhathar
Aprendia espanol, porque me parece que sea mucho mas practical.

Mais, francais c'est bon aussi.

In terms of overall practicality, you're going to have better luck with Spanish. I end up using it at the job a lot more, when there are customers that don't speak English. And the few I've seen that speak French but not English.. well... they're usually more prepared to have me not understand them Wink

Of course, I live in southern California. If you live in, say, London, perhaps French WOULD be more practical.

EDIT: Where -do- you live?
Blaster
i'm a freshmen and going into spanish two. I like spanish better then french i think. Where i am there are more spanish people then french. If there where more french people i would have learnt french. But i think i'll need spanish more then french in the future.
poiko123
If you intend on staying in the southern half of the United States for most of your life, then I will concede Spanish is probably more beneficial. But if you do plan on international travel or learning a foreign language for a big business, French IMO is better, because it seperates you from most of the American population. So perhaps you can give us some idea of what you want to do in the future. Without knowing this it is impossible to definitively say one is better than the other.
Traveller
Since you list your location as Michigan, the nearest foreign country for which you may wish to use another language is Canada, and French could be more useful. Then again, I am not really familiar with Michigan, and you probably have some Spanish-speaking areas where the Spanish would be good to know.

In middle and high schools, I took Spanish, and I am now a missionary in Honduras, so your choice of language could also (eventually) influence the work you do. On the other hand, your intended profession could have an influence on the language you should learn. For example, if you wish to study psychology, it will be almost necessary to know German. For seminary theology work, on the other hand, it's good to know Greek, Hebrew, Latin, and German (the latter because of the influence of people like Karl Barth, although I would NOT recommend his actual theology).

My biggest regret regarding language is that I did not take Latin (the school I attended offered Spanish, French, German, and Latin) and, from what I have observed in the families of friends of mine, the ones who go to "classical model" schools that teach Greek and Latin from the ground, up (or kids who are homeschooled the same way), run rings around their peers.

Considering your being in year three of Spanish, I would suggest you continue your study of the language outside of school (since you're already at the highest class your particular school offers), so that you become as proficient in it as possible NOW and not start to forget some of it and need to relearn it. Put it into use as much as you can. If you have friends who are native Spanish speakers, talk to them in Spanish. If you go to Spanish restaurants or markets, speak Spanish. Get a Spanish Bible and start using that for your daily reading. If you're familiar enough with the Bible in English, you'll already know what you're reading, and some of the references hardly need any translation. For example, Romans 13:3 becomes Romanos 13:3 (on the other hand, James 1:19-26 becomes Santiago 1:19-26, so there is SOME adjustment). One more interesting way to practice a language is to take advantage of the many features of DVDs. Many will offer subtitles in Spanish, but some may even have Spanish audio tracks available, as well.

I hope you do well in Spanish three and continue on to make good use of your additional language skill.
missmurder
French is a much more beautiful language than Spanish...
Blaster
Traveller i agree that if you do learn a language that you should speak it and all. Like i try to talk spanish to people on msn sometimes and i often read the spanish forum here and see what i can understand. Also watching the spanish channel can be a big help. My teacher this year was telling me about some guy that never took a day of spanish untill college was proficent in it just from always watching the spanish channel. But then again i know of people that have taken it for 4 years and they know nothing.
Traveller
Blaster wrote:
But then again i know of people that have taken it for 4 years and they know nothing.

True. One of the big difficulties for Americans who decide to learn other languages is that the American government schools rarely teach roper grammar any more. Without knowing the differences among nominative, dative, accusative and genitive (let alone vocative, etc.), and without knowing what the subjunctive is, and when it should be used, Americans often have no clue how to use even the most basic constructs of other languages (let alone their own).

Thus, it is not uncommon, in America, to encounter "We were talking about him going to Oregon" instead of the proper, "We were talking about his going to Oregon." Likewise, "I wish Jane was here" instead of, "I wish Jane were here." When one asks people why they do not say these things properly, they say (regarding the correct way), "It doesn't sound right." Well, the reason it doesn't sound right is because they were never taught what was right for them to have the proper basis for comparison.

This is also why, if done properly and well, the learning of other languages often leads to improvements in the understanding of the proper usage of one's primary language.
Blaster
Yea i agree in that aspect. But everyone does it. Not to many pople use i guess what you would say proper English. Even things like didn't and did not can't and can not. My engish teacher last school year was like if you do not write in proper english on some pieces you won't do good. But its a daily habbit of most americans. Now if you where to go to Spain people there do the same thing. Its that when learning spanish and not being used to it from native speackers you talk more properly. After you have talked to native speackers you know more and you start to do the same things.
Jurado
I leave in Belgium and if i have 2 choose between those 2, it would be Spanish Smile . The weather is simply better in Spain and the girls are prettier. and almost South America is speaking Spanish Smile
Wink .

Grttz,
Jaime
I know spanish (It's my first language) so I want to know french... Rolling Eyes
duckling
Jurado wrote:
I leave in Belgium and if i have 2 choose between those 2, it would be Spanish Smile . The weather is simply better in Spain and the girls are prettier.

well it's another point Wink

i would like to learn spanish Smile if i learn now it would be mine 4th language (including my main language) Smile
pjv
I think you got the right choice. I want to learn spanish myself. I know a few words but I'm totally lost with composing a simple sentence. I wonder if there's a free site that offers tutorials on spanish language. I tried googling around and found some but they just offered samples of how they do it and are not enough and some are not totally free. Gracias!
Traveller
pjv wrote:
I wonder if there's a free site that offers tutorials on spanish language.

This page lists a lot of resources. You'll need to check them out, yourself, to see which is best for you.

In addition, don't forget your local, public library. If you have a good one, they probably have a number of the varous language-learning tapes, CDs, or DVDs available for free. If you have a really good library, they may have special access to Internet resources for which one would usually have to pay. For example, when I lived in the States, the county library system had access to the web version of Rosetta Stone. All I had to do was go onto the web from home, log into the library's site using my library card number and password, and go to that section. Interestingly enough, I just tried it again, and it still works!
HoboPelican
Well, where I live, spanish is the only choice if you are planning on using it much. There are vastly more people speaking Spanish in most of the US than there are speakers of French.

My wife and I keep trying to learn Spanish, but I think the only way I'm gonna be able to do it is by moving somewhere where only spanish is spoken.
smokey4life
Well i would actually love to learn to speak both but i dont think i would ever need to learn french but then again you never know. As of so far i have never encountered any situaton where french would have been usefull. However spanish is around me 24/7/365 i havent yet mastered it lol but im learning so yeah for me its deffiantely spanish as well.
Ozzy
I suppose Spanish, as my dad was born in Uruguay, and I get the jist of the language, having grown up hearing the language. He never did teach me through the years. I kind of wished he did, so i was fluent in more than one language....
Blaster
if you want to learn spanish turn on the spanish channel and watch that you'll pick up on it after awhile.
snowboardalliance
Does anyone else only take a language class becuase it's required for college/in college? I mean I guess I see how it shows you are a good learner, but I really don't care to learn it. I honestly don't think I will use it in my adult life. I mean it's possible I would run across a spanish speaker some times, but I wouldn't want to speak in another language if they speak english.

I'm taking Spanish 2 now Junior year and I doubt I'll take 3 next year unless my counselors recommend it. I just don't care/see the point.
r_y_e_20
I can understand some Spanish word for my country was under Spanish rule for almost 300years and some of our words originated from Spain. So for me Spanish is easy to learn not only because i know some of it but also its grammar is easier to understand. On the other hand, Frenchy, aside from being a tounge twister, its hard to understand and write what is being said. I hope i can go to France someday to learn this language. Right now im studying Nihonggo, i can say their language is easy but i can hardly write.
r_y_e_20
no wonder why Spanish got the highest votes. There are more Spanish speaking than French is.
eku53ru
At the high school I went to, the only options for foreign languages were Spanish and French, too. It once had Latin, but the teacher seems to have disappeared/changed jobs.

I had picked Spanish because I live in an area where its utilization would be vital for most jobs, but now I don't remember much of what I had spent hours studying. I chose not to pursue French because it didn't strike me as a useful language in the States, and it was considered by many at my school as the tougher language to master.
jongoldsz
Definately spanish. Most of South America, excluding Brazil, speaks spanish. Also there is Spain and some other countries that also speak spanish. So spanish is more useful.
Liu
Spanish is much more useful, but I personally think French sounds much more better over Spanish.
Aless
Spanish is more useful in the US, but I got so sick of hearing it, that I learned French instead.
KernEnergie
I'm French so I can only tell you to learn it. I really love my own language, it's not so hard to learn, there isn't any accent or stress. Vocabulary and grammar is hard but once you get it...
There's also a loads of people who speaks French in the world you know! Of course in USA there's more spanish native talker. So I can tell you it will be better if you speaks French, for example if you apply for a job, I'm sure they'll prefer take one guy who speaks French than choose between three who speaks Spanish.
Wink
Blaster
Quote:
So I can tell you it will be better if you speaks French, for example if you apply for a job, I'm sure they'll prefer take one guy who speaks French than choose between three who speaks Spanish.

Not really... In the us thats not the truth. And you may not think there is an accent but there is a big one really. Just like every other place. Even in other places in the us there are different accents.. so don't say that either.
pll
French is my language ! Smile
Davidgr1200
Why not learn both?
According to a radio program I listened to recently language experts recommend that you should take up a new language every two years. Learning faster than that is not very easy (unless you're very very young). In Europe it's not uncommon for children to be fluent in 4 or 5 languages. Remember, you are going to make a much better impression on someone if you can speak and understand their language - both in business and in your private life.
ArmaghBhoy
Im pretty good at french, well basic french, Im terrible at spanish, someone once told me that if you can learn French ok, that you should be able to learn Spanish easily, but unfortunatly this was not the case for me
meet in rio
I learnt both languages to A Level (until I was 1Cool and am now continuing with Spanish at A Level. I suppose that us Brits have a slightly different perception of the two languages because French is the 'traditional' second language to learn, what with our proximity to France, whilst Spanish always seemed a little more exotic, because we don't have zillions of Hispanic people like in the USA.

I find Spanish easier to learn and speak, and there's more opportunity to hear and speak it (what with movies, music and it being very widespread). French is nice, but it's not my favourite.
goansfr
French because i'm french lol

No i'm joking, i love learn Spanish during my school time because i was in love with my spanish teacher

Miss u miss Rackel
nilsmo
French has got harder spellings for words than Spanish does and is also less and less used in the modern world, while it does have a lot of old literature in that language. I prefer Spanish. But I already know it so I take French.
SFMeatwad
I think that Spanish should be taught to other people around the world. I am learning Spanish I right now in my Freshman year.

There are more Spañards and Mexicans around the world today, that I think it's time for THEM or US to learn Spanish. It's actually not that hard either. Smile
Dwyer17
My school has german, spanish, french, german, and then american sign language if you consider that a language.

I used to like french, used to learn it. I know a few words in french still.
I prefer spanish though, as it may be useful to me in the future.

Currently I am in Spanish 4. Not sure how thought, I'm not very fluent.
Hitman.
well, i know spanish since i am hispanic. my school offers both languages to students. i personal found spanish to be easier. of course i live in a house hold where my family speaks pretty much 80% spanish besides me and my brother. i tried to learn french from a book, but i failed really bad. of course it would be easier to go into a class with teacher and learn it.

so i choose spanish as my personal choice.
masquerade
I do French, though I'm not a language person meaning I'm not very good at it. I think that I'd prefer Spanish it seems easier to me - my sister does it - depending on where you live or where you holiday the most often it's probably best to choose the place you're most likely to go to.
frozenhead
Well, I started learn Spanish just a few days ago and its fun! After learning it maybe I'll go also learning French. It's good having to learn it both in my opinion.

Soy nuevo en el lenguaje de Enpanyol. Very Happy
Soulfire
frozenhead wrote:
Soy nuevo en el lenguaje de Enpanyol. Very Happy

Este es mi tercero ano del espanol. Estoy aprendiendo "present progressives" en espanol.

Por ejemplo:

En ingles - I have swam.

En espanol - Yo he nadado.

Creo que la idioma es mas facil que frances.

En mi escuela, tenere este ano y uno mas ano (Espanol Cuatro).

Lo siento si my espanol es mal, estoy practicando.
okullar
Spanish...

How many people on the world speaks Spanish? If you think this point, Spanish will be more valuable. But I have seen many people who think that French is very polite (huh? I dont think so, but I respect).

By the way, French is harder to write, and read. Can you please tell me ho to write "what is this" in French Very Happy. (is it: "qu'est-ce que c'est "?) A little sentence becomes to be longer in French as writings, but when you want to read it it becomes shorter. ("qu'est-ce que c'est"="kes kose" Laughing "je t'aime"="jo tem" ) But Spanish is not like that. ("que es esto"="ke es esto", "te amo"="te amo")

And I think Spanish sounds more natural. French is a little artifical/cold, I think...

So, I prefer Spanish.
Vrythramax
I always wanted to learn French, not exactly sure why....it just sounds so cool Very Happy
konflikt
Spanish. If it's going to be something that you're going to use, then it should be Spanish. I'm pretty sure French has its uses, but Spanish is(IMHO)more useful(probably because I am of Mexican descent).
Vrythramax
@konflikt

That could be the reason why you would be so interested in Spanish Laughing
monzoncf
I been taking the Foreign Language too in my class. But unfortunately it only offers Chinese (Mandarin) language. It's kinda hard to study.
But for me, Spanish or French. I'd like to go to Spanish. Because spanish is easy to learn even you're a newbie unlike the French that you can only use in France. Hehehe. I hope im correct..... But for sure im going to use spanish.
Dwyer17
monzoncf wrote:
unlike the French that you can only use in France. Hehehe. I hope im correct..... But for sure im going to use spanish.

Well, you have forgot Canada. There are many French speakers there.

And besides Canada, there are many other countries that have French as one of their national languages.

Examples:
Belgium
Canada
Central African Republic
France
Guinea
Haiti
Madagascar
Republic of Congo
Senegal
Switzerland

But that is only a partial list.
Then there are also countries that may have few french speakers, but don't have it as a national language.

I'm not trying to prove you wrong or call you dumb, just letting you know.

I'm not a fan of french either by the way, I know very little french. I am in a spanish class.
Vrythramax
Spanish may indeed be a more pracible language, but I'd still like to learn French....it is the language of lovers so I have been told Wink
feliciafans
I went with French, and I got the highest grade! :p

It's not that hard when you had learned the basic grammatics.

The verbs could be a heck of a job though. I remember spending hours rehersing those vocabs!
Aimewitue
duckling wrote:
Jurado wrote:
I leave in Belgium and if i have 2 choose between those 2, it would be Spanish Smile . The weather is simply better in Spain and the girls are prettier.

well it's another point Wink

i would like to learn spanish Smile if i learn now it would be mine 4th language (including my main language) Smile

LMAO that's mean french girls are more ugly than spanish -X big frenchfrom my french girls XD
so french language is beautiful ,spanish is more musical i think
Aimewitue
okullar wrote:
But Spanish is not like that. ("que es esto"="ke es esto", "te amo"="te amo")

And I think Spanish sounds more natural. French is a little artifical/cold, I think...

So, I prefer Spanish.

te amo is not spanish' just from italy,spanish is "te quero"
jongoldsz
100% spanish. Half my family speaks spanish because they lived in South America for some time.
okullar
Aimewitue wrote:
okullar wrote:
But Spanish is not like that. ("que es esto"="ke es esto", "te amo"="te amo")

So, I prefer Spanish.

te amo is not spanish' just from italy,spanish is "te quero"

I thought it is about the verb amar
and for the pronoun "I", it would be: yo amo
and te refers on "you", so it should be "yo te amo" or just "te amo"...

te quiero is also used same meaning but it means directly: "I want you".

Maybe I am wrong, or maybe te amo is both for Italian and Spanish?

Are you a native Spanish speaker? If not, I wish someone who is native Spanish speaker answered. I must correct myself...