FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Google Tips

MC--
Google loves META tags. If you want to find about META tags Google that too!

Have as many websites that are currently in Google point to your site. Call your homepage index.html or index.php etc.

Visit here http://www.google.com/addurl/

Use google sitemaps.
ninjakannon
Just to explain something to people.

This link: http://www.google.com/addurl/ will take you to the Google page that allows you to add your site to the Google search engine, so that it will appear in searches. It may take days, or even a few weeks for them to process your application, but it's well worth adding your site.

META tags are tags that hold information about the web page that they are on. There are some META tags that only Google bots will read, and you can tell them whether to index your page or not, and how to index it.
drphp
META tags are good but i think that google neglect them soo i like using the <noscript></noscript> tags , it will not appear on any page and will not affect any thing in my code , but they are good to make ur site SEO friend and reachable by most of the search engines , but META tages are also useful as you can describe ur page and will help as well in Search engines indexing like yahoo Very Happy
coreymanshack
google doesn't neglect meta tags... and the sites that crawl yours will ignore the meta tags if they dont use them, so there is no need for the noscript tags... especially benz meta tags aren't script.
Mr. McCoy
meta tags really halp me too!!

in the start i couldn't understand NOTHING about meta tags, but then google had a guide that helped me!!

meta tags for the win!!..hehe

McCoy
SoftStag
The general consensus is that Google will obey Meta tags for whether or not to index the page, but generally ignores descriptions and keywords in Meta Tags.

Go to www.adobe.com this is a PR10 site, the Meta tags on the home page only refer to type of text and language used. So, if Adobe don't use a Meta Description tag, then how does Google rate it so highly?

Personally, I believe meta tags are overrated, and out of date.
ninjakannon
SoftStag wrote:
then how does Google rate it so highly

The way Google rates things is simple, and has nothing to do with meta tags. When the googlebots search through your web pages they look at all the html and store every word on your page, also every link. When someone searches, websites with the words that match most closley are returned from their database. These are then ordered by the number of links go to that individual web page / domain.
SoftStag
ninjakannon wrote:
SoftStag wrote:
then how does Google rate it so highly

The way Google rates things is simple, and has nothing to do with meta tags. When the googlebots search through your web pages they look at all the html and store every word on your page, also every link. When someone searches, websites with the words that match most closley are returned from their database. These are then ordered by the number of links go to that individual web page / domain.

Not quite so simple. In my example there is no instance of "click here" on the Adobe homepage, the search result is entirely as a result of inbound links having the anchor text as "click here". There are many more examples of this, Google bombing has almost become a sport!
ninjakannon
Oh, crafty.

Yeah, there is more to it than what I said, but that's the general principle. Other small things may change your websites ranking, but I don't know many of those.