FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Big screen small mp3 player





Davidgr1200
Why do manufacturers insist on putting controls, logos and empty space on the front of their mp3 players? It's generally accepted that the players need to be as small as possible, but if the screen is to be of any use it should be as large as possible. So what do the manufacturers do? They put a 1.5 inch screen on a player which is 1.7 x 2.6 inches - plenty of room for a widescreen. However, the rest of the front is taken up with controls and blank space. I've seen a picture of something called Egokast which seems to have the right idea, though that has a 3.5 inch screen. It should be easy to make a decent player with a 2 inch screen that is scarcely larger than its screen but nobody seems to have done it - or does anyone know different?
Andrew426
Because they dont really need big screens to play mp3s.
With my old one (the generic chinese ones that play music, videos etc.) half the pixels died, and i used it that way for about a month (untill I threw it at someone and broke it) without any problems.
The screen just wasnt that inportant to me.
a.Bird
I've yet to see a decent HDD MP3 player that uses a simple file system and a good gui. iAudio is probably the best I've seen. Apple can kiss my ass.
starwallz
I'll just put this here as its to do with mp3 players. I just opened a student bank account with Halifax which means I get a free mp4 player. I was wondering if you could play .avi videos on it? And how long can they be?
Davidgr1200
It depends on the player! The more memory you have and the lower the resolution the longer the film you can use. Sometimes avi files can be played directly, sometimes they need to be converted (there are plenty of freeware converts available from Internet. If you've already got the player just try it (or even read the manual, it should tell you in some sort of pidgin English!)
ciaran27
2 reasons.

1. Bigger screen uses more power, and therefore less battery life.

2. Cost. To be competitive and still make a profit, components must be as cheap as possible.
darkeagle
Sony mOne.
I like this player.
It's size is 5 x 5 x 1 cm.
It has two screen and camera.
One of the this screens is 4 x 3 cm with color for watch video and see photo. Other of this screens is 3 x 1 cm black and white for read track's name.

And it has max 120 gb memory.
Davidgr1200
Quote:
2 reasons.

1. Bigger screen uses more power, and therefore less battery life.

2. Cost. To be competitive and still make a profit, components must be as cheap as possible.


1. Same size screen, smaller player
2. Smaller machine, less material, lower cost.
3. Competitive: no other competitors for this idea!!
a.Bird
How about an hdd player with a full color high res touch screen the same size of the harddrive, but with about 2 mm smaller on each side. A LOCK switch on the top to deny accidentally touching the screen and slide switch for sensitivity. 3 ports- mic in, headphone out, line out. and a power button. maybe an optional stylus holder. what do you say, a million dollar idea?
Reign
I actually prefer my mp3 player to be without a screen....Isn't the screen eating batteries like sh*t? I had to recharge or buy new batteries every 3days, lol. I knew someone that had an mp3 player without a screen and he could listen to music for like 2 whole weeks....

But maybe I listened more hours a day compared to him Smile
a.Bird
Reign wrote:
I actually prefer my mp3 player to be without a screen....Isn't the screen eating batteries like sh*t? I had to recharge or buy new batteries every 3days, lol. I knew someone that had an mp3 player without a screen and he could listen to music for like 2 whole weeks....

But maybe I listened more hours a day compared to him Smile


I have an iPod mini. The LCD is only black and white with a backlight. The backlight itself does drain a considerable amount of energy from the battery but the LCD itself with the backlight off does not really have any significance on battery life. Most the power is used up spinning those heavy platters and amplifying your audio. Full color screens half to be backlit or else you won't see anything, which is why watching full color movies on a portable device just for the sake of doing something while you're bored and not around a single computer or television just seems ridiculous to me.
Reign
It was just a plain old simple mp3player, I think I had to pay 50dollars or something for the thing.... it had no colors just green background and black letters. the only purpose the screen had was to show me the title of the track... so I really preferred no screen. but know I know I need to search for one without a screen or one with a charger included (like ipod I think?)
a.Bird
If you can handle listening to music without being able to browse through a gui to find the song you want, you're in luck my friend. I've seen quite a few players out there.
Reign
a.Bird wrote:
If you can handle listening to music without being able to browse through a gui to find the song you want, you're in luck my friend. I've seen quite a few players out there.


I know and I can't. but this one was like 128mb... so it contained like max 2cd's. no need to go and scroll trough your music list Smile

Actually the new ipod type mp3 players are more than just a ordinairy mp3player.... but hey I agree with you
a.Bird
Sony Walkman MP3 Player (NWE002BLUE)

512MB of storage
High-Speed USB 2.0
Stores up to 345 songs
Quick-charge option
Organic EL display
Skip-free

This has a very tiny "1-Line Organic Electroluminescence display" (Lol) that probably draws very little power as the unit has "up to 28 hours of playback with the rechargeable embedded battery". For 69.99, however, you be better off jumping on the bandwagon and getting something like the iAudio X5. Much better than any iPod in my opinion.
Reign
Smile

thanx alot but i have a car with a cd player now Smile the only problem I know have is that diesel costs alot of money lol
tidruG
Andrew426 wrote:
half the pixels died, and i used it that way for about a month (untill I threw it at someone and broke it)

I don't know... I just found that hilarious. You say it so matter-of-factly. ("Oh mom, remember that MP3 player you bought me last christmas? Yeah, I kinda threw it an Tony for fun, but he ducked, it hit the wall behind and smashed into a thousand pieces. Can I have another 50$ for a new one?")

Anyway, on-topic:
Your idea makes sense, David. However, for me, personally, the screen is unimportant. I have a Sony 512MB Network Walkman, which gives me awesome audio output, etc etc. Best part is that I have the option to encode files as .oma which gives the same audio quality at 64kbps that MP3 gives at 128, which means each song I put in there takes half the space an ordinary song would, which means I usually have about 220-225 songs in there.

The screen is a single line basic LCD with a green backlight, and I couldn't ask for anything else. It has all the basic functions, and I've come to control it almost instinctively. I use the screen only when I have to switch between folders or when I'm searching for a particular song.
Josso
It's probably not financially viable in some way Laughing
traceyskene
Davidgr1200 wrote:
Why do manufacturers insist on putting controls, logos and empty space on the front of their mp3 players? It's generally accepted that the players need to be as small as possible, but if the screen is to be of any use it should be as large as possible. So what do the manufacturers do? They put a 1.5 inch screen on a player which is 1.7 x 2.6 inches - plenty of room for a widescreen. However, the rest of the front is taken up with controls and blank space. I've seen a picture of something called Egokast which seems to have the right idea, though that has a 3.5 inch screen. It should be easy to make a decent player with a 2 inch screen that is scarcely larger than its screen but nobody seems to have done it - or does anyone know different?


try searching for convergence and you will know why lol
biedr0na666
why do people want something like 'color display' to play music..? ok, if u want to store your 'favorite pictures' - ok, but you may do this with your cell phone as well (if it has any purpose at all LOL)
i use a Creative Zen Sleek player with nice blue display and it's nice
Andrew426
a.Bird wrote:
How about an hdd player with a full color high res touch screen the same size of the harddrive, but with about 2 mm smaller on each side. A LOCK switch on the top to deny accidentally touching the screen and slide switch for sensitivity. 3 ports- mic in, headphone out, line out. and a power button. maybe an optional stylus holder. what do you say, a million dollar idea?
That sounds alot like a palm.
One of the problems with touch-screens is that their not as strong as regular LCDs, as they cannot have a layer of hard clear plastic over them to protect them.
a.Bird
Andrew426 wrote:
That sounds alot like a palm.
One of the problems with touch-screens is that their not as strong as regular LCDs, as they cannot have a layer of hard clear plastic over them to protect them.


I thought palms only had 128MB of internal memory, on average. And about the weaker LCD display, obviously palm pilots have found a way around it, and most pocket PCs. I really don't think that's a big issue.
william
Well, for one, it will cost more to manufacture one with a widescreen. Also, most people don't actually watch videos, so there's no point for that.

The Toshiba Gigabeat S 60 GB is one of my favorite mp3 players and it has a great screen. It's a good size even though the overall size of the player is smaller than the iPod.

clip
for some reason, i don't like mp3 players with screens. That's why I like iPod shuffle a lot. I'm still iPodless though. Sad
a.Bird
william wrote:
Also, most people don't actually watch videos, so there's no point for that.
How do you know this?
Davidgr1200
No of mp3 players available for people who like a small screen or no screen: 1783
No of mp3 players available for people who like a screen to be as large as possible and the player to be as small as possible: 0

The person who mentioned "convergence" (by that I assume you mean "do what all the other manufacturers do") is probably on the right track!
a.Bird
Davidgr1200 wrote:
No of mp3 players available for people who like a small screen or no screen: 1783
No of mp3 players available for people who like a screen to be as large as possible and the player to be as small as possible: 0

The person who mentioned "convergence" (by that I assume you mean "do what all the other manufacturers do") is probably on the right track!


Lol where did you derive these figures?
Andrew426
a.Bird wrote:


I thought palms only had 128MB of internal memory, on average. And about the weaker LCD display, obviously palm pilots have found a way around it, and most pocket PCs. I really don't think that's a big issue.
Most have SD card slots, so you can have as much memory as you like (within reason).
Also, they havne found their way around it. My friend harry has gone through 3 palm pilots in 3 years because of smashed screens (and hes alot more careful with electronic stuff than I am).
a.Bird
Andrew426 wrote:
My friend harry has gone through 3 palm pilots in 3 years because of smashed screens (and hes alot more careful with electronic stuff than I am).


Lol, I'm sorry. I've had the same palm for about 5 years.
Panthrowzay
So what's the deal with Maxtor hard drives ? I hear western digital bought them . Just as well as Phoenix bought Award bios .
can anyone give me any suggestions on what hard drive to get ? There's so many choices segate, western digital, Maxtor, quantum, and so many others to choose from . If you could give me a suggestion I would really appreciate it thanks...
a.Bird
I've never had problems with my WDs. They have proven to be as solid as a rock. However, I've never really dabbled in any others.
Davidgr1200
Quote:
Lol where did you derive these figures?

I guessed!
william
a.Bird wrote:
william wrote:
Also, most people don't actually watch videos, so there's no point for that.
How do you know this?


I can't remember where, it was some article about mp3 player screens.

Though, I actually would watch videos, so a I'd want a good screen.

Anyway, I like mp3 players with large screens (2"-3").

By the way, I fogot to mention one other thing. Larger screens reduce the battery life. (I was a little dissapointed with the Gigabeat's battery life.)
meetul
a.Bird wrote:
Sony Walkman MP3 Player (NWE002BLUE)

512MB of storage
High-Speed USB 2.0
Stores up to 345 songs
Quick-charge option
Organic EL display
Skip-free

This has a very tiny "1-Line Organic Electroluminescence display" (Lol) that probably draws very little power as the unit has "up to 28 hours of playback with the rechargeable embedded battery". For 69.99, however, you be better off jumping on the bandwagon and getting something like the iAudio X5. Much better than any iPod in my opinion.


it doesnt seems to have the screen either
bulek
I think that big screen isn't the biggest priority at mp3 players. Small screen can have better quality than bigger screen.
However, I own Creative Muvo n200 and although it has small screen, sound quality is perfect and that is my highest prioritiy at mp3 players.
Slick
my psp does me proud!

games, movies and music all in one!
roadruner
the bigger the screen the more energy it drains so that wouldprobably be a god reason not to put a widescreen on an mp3 player Smile
it's not like you need it anyway Razz
unless of course we're talking about an mp4 player, because watching a movie on a very small screen is not really advisable
jongoldsz
If you want a small mp3 player get a iPod shuffle, the new one is the size of a quarter. If you want to watch movie, buy a tv, or a laptop... MP3 players aren't made for watching movies, they are made for music.
m00170w
This is my Mp3 player


Slick
^^^ exactly wat i have - 1.5 firmware tho Wink Wink for all those that know Wink

cant fault it... specially now the sandisk 4GB duo cards are as cheap as 90
luciddream
The bigger the screen, the less room for other electronics inside of the device.
lance713
"Because they dont really need big screens to play mp3s.
With my old one (the generic chinese ones that play music, videos etc.) half the pixels died, and i used it that way for about a month (untill I threw it at someone and broke it) without any problems.
The screen just wasnt that inportant to me."

This guy right here got it right.
Related topics
Toilet seats with full fledged MP3 Player....lol
Which MP3 player to get?
Anybody used an mp3 player as a boot disk_
What kind of MP3 player do you have?
Detection Funkey MP3 Player Help
MP3 player?
mp3 Player
My MP3 Player
MP3 Player
Please Help: Firmware Upgrade for MP3 Player needed
Help needed: Video Compression for MP3 player
Meizu Music Card----such a cool mp3 player
Mp3 player story
Can someone recommend me an Mp3 Player?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.