FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

VERY IMPORTANT PLEASE HELP

raver
Hello all, and thanks for reading this.
I have been spending the last two days breaking my brain trying to figure out how to do this:
Create a video gallery. I have all of the work done, with one exception. I want the script to automatically create a thumbnail from the movie, which will be used in the main page where all of the movies are listed. I can ofcourse make another field for uploading a jpeg taken manually, but i want this to be done automatically. All i could find is an api that must be installed on a linux server, and this isn't a very portable solution, not to mention not beeing able to acces the server directly.
Thank you all and can't wait for an intelligent reply Smile
mariohs
I'm just posting for you to know that someone at least read your topic... but unfortunately, I have no idea on how to do this, and let's pray for someone with better brain than us can do this... this is not a common thing, so it's pretty difficult...
hexkid
raver wrote:
I want [...] to automatically create a thumbnail from the movie

Have a look at ImageMagick. There's a PHP interface for it, but I've never tried it.

The command-line to extract the first frame from the movie could be
Code:
convert movie.avi[0] firstframe.jpg
Karrde
There's no built-in facility (as far as I'm aware) in PHP that allows you to do what you're wanting to. Your best bet is to use something like ImageMagick as suggested above or some similar library.

The other issue you're likely to run into is codec compatibility - there's a ton of different video codecs out there nowadays - DivX, XviD, WMV, OGM, MKV, MPG, etc etc etc. Unless your library can handle them (or all your videos will be in a specific format) you might have problems.