FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Should your Baby be born at Home?





7Pound7
He folks,

Where I live, it is very common to have home deliveries. I know in the US most women have to go to the hospital. What is your opinion?
For me it felt most natural that my wife delivered at home, with everything at hand and in a safe environment. And no hospital personnel running around and trying to push the delivery in the 9-5 dayschedule.

7Pound7
blue77
Maybe the comfort of your home is important, and can help, but baby bear is dangareous proces and hide some risks for the mothers and the baby health. The choice is yours, but think about the posible risks.
alja
Where I live now "Austria" this is common and even now in US is becoming more popular to do it but for my onw experience I can tell you that I had everything ready, I even was knowledge enough to bring my baby myself but I was greatefull that I didn't have to because my baby had the cord around her leg and that made the things more difficult it was not really dangerous but more difficult than normal. so if you have the chance to be certain that everything is fine and the risks are covered then do it at home with the proper supervision and keep in mind the nearest hospital and a route in case of something unexpected. Having kids at home is best but not always is the safest.
mialynavahy
i think it's not safe, too dangerous, you know, risks are always there, you cant do surgery at home if you have to do it...
ddgenconst
Personally, I believe that hospital births are the best way to go, because, like the last poster said, there are always risks involved. I was in labor for over 28 hours before my baby finally decided to come. I am glad I had a hospital-delivery, because they ended up threatening to do a c-section. What if I was at home and did not know I might have to have a c-section? I wonder. They gave me an epidural and I ended up delivering naturally, to a beautiful 9 lb. 14 oz. baby boy we named Jack. But I had some complications during delivery that I'm not sure could have been handled as well if I had a home birth. My blood prossure kept going haywire the whole time I was in labor, and I needed oxygen at one point. I think the hospital delivery is the best way to go, as long as they let you keep your baby in your room with you, and don't take it to the nursery unless you say so. I delivered at a hospital in Saint Louis, MO. The only drawback was that our views differed when it came to feeding the baby. They said I HAD to feed the baby every three hours, and if he was sleeping, then I had to wake him up. Well, in my opinion, babies wake up when they're hungry. I think it is only natural to let the mother and child sleep as they need to. More and more doctors are agreeing that the reason babies wake up in the middle of the night and are so hard to get on a reasonable routine is because the nurses are so uptight about waking up the baby every three hours. I ended up lying on the breastfeeding chart they made me fill out, and that seemed to keep them satisfied. Once my baby and I got home, we let him sleep until he woke up on his own, and I found that we got into routine extremely quick. It also allowed me to sleep and rest much more. And the best part is, he is still gaining weight and length as he is supposed to be. So, in my opinion, hospital deliveries are the best way to go as far as delivering, but when it comes to taking care of your baby, only Mom knows best.
haris3
Having a baby at home is really not safe. What if he/she has a birth defect or some other problem and a normal person can't detect it. It could turn disasterous in the future when you later find out. It's true that insurance is expensive but having a baby at home is too risky. Most people who can't afford insurance can get free or discounted insurance.

Babies are more safe when they arrive on earth in a hospital rather than a home.
DRXX
Its too risky to have a baby at home, Something dangerous might happen while delevering the baby SO its safer to give birth in hospital
7Pound7
Wow,

Nice replies. But since when is a baby delivery 'dangerous'???
It's complete natural. Of course complications can occur, but it is not likely. And when it happens, a specialist can get to you pretty quick.
My opinion is that hospital deliveries are unneccisarely leading to complications. This is because:
1. the delivery is often speed up by the timeline that the doctors wish to follow
2. Unnatural start of the delivery through the tension present in hospitals
3. Unnecessary use of tools during the delivery instead of letting the body muscles and bones adopt to the forces that occur during delivery
4. The final pushing is often forced to go too quick, leading to uneccesary injuries
5. Too many people around
6. The baby's first hours ary very unsafe, it feels that mom is behaving weird and other people than mom are interfering too much
7. Since mom has to move quick to make place for another person, there is not a real quality time and rest for baby with mom (which should be at least a couple of hours)
8. During delivery there is no freedom to do whatever mom whishes to do
9. A hospital is full with bacteria and viruses, which the baby will pick up
10. Things in the hospital have to go quicker, so the mom and dad are forced to move on faster and have no time to enjoy the whole happening actually.


Well that are only a few of the drawbacks of hospital deliveries.
I think home deliveries should be the standard and every mom and baby should have the right to deliver at home, a much better and safe place. More quietness and more relaxing, more at home and and because of more time and relaxation the delivery is potentially happening without the use of tools that most of the time harm either the baby or the mom.

7Pound7
Cal_123
Yeah, I'd say stay at home. The atmosphere in a hospital tends to stress the mother, therefore causing problems. At home, the mother knows the environment, which relieves stress, thats what i believe Smile
mwellsy
there is nothing wrong with wanting to have your baby at home, but you will still want to have a professional (and experienced) midwife there to assist in the birth.

you should have your 1st baby in hospital if you possibly can, and sorry 7pound7, but although birth is a natural thing, it is one of the most dangerous things a baby (and mum) can go through.

there is;
1. preterm labour
2. Group B Strep infection
3. Uterine Inversion
4. Breech birth
5. Placental abruption
6. Placenta previa
7. Birth defects that may require immediate attention
8. Uterine Bleeding

should i go on??

anything can happen during the birthing process, and having professional help on call is not the assistance you need when giving birth. (how long did it take last time you called an ambulance?) they should be buy your side as the birth is happening.

sure there are virus and bacteria in hospitals, but they are at home too. there is no escaping it.

sure the comfort of the mother is important during delivery, my wife has had 3 kids now, and i have seen how pushy and annoying nurses can be. But is that more important than your childs health? (or your own?)

don't get me wrong, i am not saying home birth is a bad thing, just think about it very carfully, and make sure you are organised when you do.

if a hospital is not an option for you, you should take every effort to have the hospital brought to you.

7pound7 is right though, you should have the option to have your baby at home. (just have a mop and bucket ready 'cause there will be alot of cleaning involved Laughing )
DawningLight
I have had two healthy babies, both of whom were born in hospital.
The third healthy baby, I had at home.

Here in the UK they will agree to a home birth, provided there is no indication of obvious complications.

The birth was well planned, and I was very well supported. There must be two midwives at the birth, one for mother, one for baby. The mess was minmal, and we were given lots of advice on how to prepare to minimise it.

The atmosphere was amazing, and I suffered far less stress, and altogether had a far more positive experience than I had with either of the hospital births.

If there had been any signs of complications I would have been removed to hospital immediatlely. I never once felt more afraid than before and I knew the midwives were both expereienced at dealing with home births.

I would always suggest a first time mother gave birth in hospital, but I do believe home births have a very real place in todays society.

I will not be having any more, but if I was then my choice would be another home birth.
mwellsy
wow, you said that better than i did Smile

I have not seen a home birth myself, so it's good to hear about how it all works.

thats what i was trying to say though,
"there is nothing wrong with wanting to have your baby at home, but you will still want to have a professional (and experienced) midwife there to assist in the birth. " or like Dawn said -> 2

(don't go doing it hippy style, pushing out a baby with a few mates Laughing ) & steer clear of anything that slightly resembles "new age medicine"' talk only to qualified professionals who can help you, (or Dawn, she's been there and done that Wink Laughing )

i'm just going to shut up now, because I'm a bloke. Laughing

be safe!!
7Pound7
My wife has delivered our firstborn 5 months ago at home.
The mess you get is minimal. There were 2 good nurses, skilled and trained to do home deliveries. It is obvious you need those people!
The atmoshpere at home was irreplacable.
My wife's sister also delivered her 2 babies at home, as well as all of my sisters 8 children.
There is no more danger at home then in the hospital I think and the complications can be handled by the 2 nurses present.

more ideas anyone?
haris3
A hospital is much of a safer and cleaner enviroment than a normal house. A newborn is at a higher risk of getting germs and other things than the hospital. We have pets and smaller kids bring in dirt and other things from outside. I just think having it at the hospital is convenient and safer for both the mother and the newborn.

What if there is no one else around at home?



7Pound7 wrote:
Wow,

Nice replies. But since when is a baby delivery 'dangerous'???
It's complete natural. Of course complications can occur, but it is not likely. And when it happens, a specialist can get to you pretty quick.
My opinion is that hospital deliveries are unneccisarely leading to complications. This is because:
1. the delivery is often speed up by the timeline that the doctors wish to follow
2. Unnatural start of the delivery through the tension present in hospitals
3. Unnecessary use of tools during the delivery instead of letting the body muscles and bones adopt to the forces that occur during delivery
4. The final pushing is often forced to go too quick, leading to uneccesary injuries
5. Too many people around
6. The baby's first hours ary very unsafe, it feels that mom is behaving weird and other people than mom are interfering too much
7. Since mom has to move quick to make place for another person, there is not a real quality time and rest for baby with mom (which should be at least a couple of hours)
8. During delivery there is no freedom to do whatever mom whishes to do
9. A hospital is full with bacteria and viruses, which the baby will pick up
10. Things in the hospital have to go quicker, so the mom and dad are forced to move on faster and have no time to enjoy the whole happening actually.


Well that are only a few of the drawbacks of hospital deliveries.
I think home deliveries should be the standard and every mom and baby should have the right to deliver at home, a much better and safe place. More quietness and more relaxing, more at home and and because of more time and relaxation the delivery is potentially happening without the use of tools that most of the time harm either the baby or the mom.

7Pound7
mah_lau
Hmm... Actually, where I live (Vancouver BC, Canada) I've been seeing more ads on the bus for BC Registered Midwifery... I wonder if this is a growing trend?
indeedwrestling
I recently had this debate with an associate who decided to have an at-home birth. That part is something that I can understand -- after all, women have been giving birth for thousands of years. (Though, it's worth reminding people that childbirth and resulting complications can still be a leading cause of death among females in developing nations). However, what I really objected to was her complete and absolute refusual to seek any form of medical prenatal care. That's right -- she never once saw a doctor during her entire pregnancy. Now, I think she's putting the child at incredible risk for things such as her lack of vaccinations too, but that's another debate.
haris3
I absolutely agree with you. I think it should be banned to have a baby at home. You are endangering the baby's life, almost like a murder.

No Babies at home. Those who can't afford, can get insurance from the gov't.

indeedwrestling wrote:
I recently had this debate with an associate who decided to have an at-home birth. That part is something that I can understand -- after all, women have been giving birth for thousands of years. (Though, it's worth reminding people that childbirth and resulting complications can still be a leading cause of death among females in developing nations). However, what I really objected to was her complete and absolute refusual to seek any form of medical prenatal care. That's right -- she never once saw a doctor during her entire pregnancy. Now, I think she's putting the child at incredible risk for things such as her lack of vaccinations too, but that's another debate.
benjmd
7Pound7 wrote:
Wow,

Nice replies. But since when is a baby delivery 'dangerous'???
It's complete natural. Of course complications can occur, but it is not likely. And when it happens, a specialist can get to you pretty quick.
My opinion is that hospital deliveries are unneccisarely leading to complications. This is because:
1. the delivery is often speed up by the timeline that the doctors wish to follow
2. Unnatural start of the delivery through the tension present in hospitals
3. Unnecessary use of tools during the delivery instead of letting the body muscles and bones adopt to the forces that occur during delivery
4. The final pushing is often forced to go too quick, leading to uneccesary injuries
5. Too many people around
6. The baby's first hours ary very unsafe, it feels that mom is behaving weird and other people than mom are interfering too much
7. Since mom has to move quick to make place for another person, there is not a real quality time and rest for baby with mom (which should be at least a couple of hours)
8. During delivery there is no freedom to do whatever mom whishes to do
9. A hospital is full with bacteria and viruses, which the baby will pick up
10. Things in the hospital have to go quicker, so the mom and dad are forced to move on faster and have no time to enjoy the whole happening actually.


Well that are only a few of the drawbacks of hospital deliveries.
I think home deliveries should be the standard and every mom and baby should have the right to deliver at home, a much better and safe place. More quietness and more relaxing, more at home and and because of more time and relaxation the delivery is potentially happening without the use of tools that most of the time harm either the baby or the mom.

7Pound7


So, in specific response to the issues you have raised, I will mention the following points:

First, women and children have died in childbirth quite frequently since the beginning of time. If you are not aware of this, then you should do a little reading. It is estimated that up to 15% of women will have a complication with their first delivery. Given that the average blood loss for a vaginal delivery is 500 ml (10% of blood volume in mother), including all NORMAL deliveries, those that include hemorrhaging should be seen as substantial possible risks.

1) Doctors do not force a timeline. Women on an obstetric floor are allowed to proceed through the first "passive" phase of labor at their own rate. Once they enter into active labor (cervical dilation beyond 4cm), failure to progress to full dilation in under 3 hours can pose significant threats to the life of the baby. Most mothers prefer liveborns over stillborns.
2) Women tend to come into the hospital after labor has started, invalidating your point #2.
3) Forceps and vacuums in the hands of a skilled and trained obstetrician pose very little additional risk to the baby. It may surprise ones' eyes, but they can be used quite safely. A stuck baby can suffer a reduced heart rate, become hypoxic, and die. That's not good.
4) The final pushes in labor are largely controlled by the mother. Doctors cannot push for the mother. That should be kinda intuitive. At the point of delivery, most women are begging to push more while the doctor is trying to help them pace more reasonably to AVOID tears. First to third degree lacerations can easily happen and are easily repaired. Physicians are trained to brace the perineum to help prevent tearing. Fourth degree lacerations can take longer healing time, but the speed of the delivery is really in no one's control but mom and baby.
5) "Too many people around." Doctor, mom, nurse. That's three. Mom can request that.
6) Have you interviewed these babies? Considering that they cannot see more than vague shadows at this point and are primarily concerned with being cold, tired, startled (by the delivery), and hungry, babies likely don't notice as much as you think.
7) Most delivery floors have mom in her own room for the delivery. For vaginal deliveries without complications, she may be discharged in 48 hrs. For c-sections she may be discharged in 72 hrs.
Cool EVERY SINGLE PATIENT IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA HAS A RIGHT TO DETERMINATION OF THEIR HEALTHCARE WHEN MENTALLY COMPETENT AND OF LEGAL REASONING AGE. Mom cannot ask for something that will clearly harm the baby at the time of delivery, but otherwise she gets what she requests.
9) Mom is full of bacteria and viruses that the baby will pick up. HOME is full of bacteria and viruses that the baby will pick up. Delivery is done under sterile field and pediatric care for the baby is done by fully gowned pediatricians. The risk of life-threatening, uncontrollable infection is remarkably low compared with that of hemorrhage for the mom or hypoxia for the baby.
10) I have stood in a delivery room, helping mom deliver her baby while dad gripped her hand, wiping sweat from her forehead with a damp cloth. I have seen the proud dad handed his child by the pediatrician once dry and bring it to mom. I have seen the sheer magic in these people's eyes as their child sees them for the first time.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, I would ask anyone who is reading this posting by 7Pound7 to not endanger the life of a mother or baby by following misleading advice. Women can safely have children under the care of trained midwives, but they should be extremely aware of their risk status and have RAPID access to emergency care. Maybe hospitals were bad places to give birth in 1952, but now most obstetrics departments are phenomenally equipped to provide both comfort and exceptional care to new mothers.
em0o
yeah, many big hospitals such as kaiser hire people who specialize in midwifery. It's a very common practice to deliver a child at home.
girlcalledjay
I truly hope to deliver my baby in my home. I think that if you are healthy and have not experienced difficulties during your pregnancy, then home birth is a wonderful option.

As far as germs are concerned, I am FAR less concerned about the germs around my home (which I have naturally built an immunity to...and passed on to my baby) than I am about the antibiotic resistant germs that can always, always, always be found in hosptitals.

Womens bodies KNOW how to conceive, develop and deliver a baby. Women have been having babies for thousands of years...long before medicine started interfering in the process. There are many instances of unneccessary medical interventions during births. The rate for caesarean births has climbed over the years. Why? Our bodies are the same. Our babies are the same. The process of childbirth hasn't changed.

Ask questions. Talk to people. Research the options for yourself and then make an INFORMED CHOICE that is suited to you. Home birth isn't right for every family, just as hospital birth isn't either.

I know that for me a home birth is right. I am close to a hospital should I need to be transferred. (No, I'm not being stupid about this...I recognise that you need a Plan B!)
Dragonfly
Those days of home delivery have gone to me. When there was not proper hospital and care it was right to deliver babies at home as we have no better option available. But now, hospitals are there where maximum care can be taken. And to me Hospital care seems to be better than home care. I would definitely recommend hospitals. But if good hospitals are not around home is not a problem because women have been delivering babies at home long before hospital thingy and concept were born.
blendbet
I will agree with previous user ... It is to dangerous in some cases.
janhasdogspot
If you do have your baby at home, can you get around those silver nitrate drops the hospital puts in your newborns eyes in case of gonerherrea? I hated these! I did not have VD but it was still California State Law to place these in my newborn's eyes!
janhasdogspot
Oops! a friend of mine is here and reading and he said the only reason your baby should be born at home is if you cannot get to the doctor.
He also said if your husband took the car to the bar might be another reason.
I wished I would have had my kid at home, I found the hospital very disruptive and I had a nurse midwife attending anyway.
arkebuzer
7Pound7 wrote:
He folks,

Where I live, it is very common to have home deliveries. I know in the US most women have to go to the hospital. What is your opinion?
For me it felt most natural that my wife delivered at home, with everything at hand and in a safe environment. And no hospital personnel running around and trying to push the delivery in the 9-5 dayschedule.

7Pound7


Isn´t it more safe in a hospital? Surprised
If there´s some complications it´s a lot better to be in the hospital, but sure, if everything goes allright I guess staying at home might feel a lot more relaxing and "natural".
MYP415
I believe hospital births are better because everything is more sanitary. Also if the baby is born with a birth defect or something goes wrong during labor, it is much more likely that the hospital has the tools necessary to try to solve the problem.
eldon_r
Count me and my wife among those who say "YES!" to this topic's question -- assuming "your baby" means we're not answering for anyone but ourselves.

For us, the risk of birthing in a hospital outweighs the risk of birthing at home. This may be partly due to the nature of our nearby hospitals and their staff, but that's OK. I'm only talking about us.

Here's our experience:

We've got 3 girls. The first was born in a hospital, the other two at home.

The hospital birth could have gone a lot better than it did, and it we nearly got away without very much complication (excepting for the mistake of inviting my mother-in-law along!). The hospital had a lovely bunch of community midwives in a special section that was somewhat separate from the hospital, which is a great idea, as it might have reduced the spread of some of those nasty hospital bugs for a start, and limited our exposure to other risks such as golden oldie doctors past their retirement age and well past being able to assimilate post-1970's medical/health information Rolling Eyes. But a change of shift introduced a real "dragon" of a lady into the equation just after the birth.

Everything (as I said, except for the presence of the MIL) was going fine, then this nurse from who knows where came by to have a look, and changed the calm post-birth time into an emergency room scene. She said the baby was too jaundiced, needed warming under a heat lamp, and needed feeding immediately with a syringe. Our most experienced midwife had just gone off duty, otherwise she would have stood up to her, because she told us later that the diagnosis was absolute rubbish and the baby only needed a close cuddle for a bit to warm her up, then breast milk when she was ready. Poor little newborn! Taken away from her Mother so early to "warm up", and forced to take formula via a tube! Wow, were we angry about that Mad. Especially the fact that the nurse threatened us into allowing her to feed the baby this formula. I would give more details, except I think my memory of it isn't clear enough and I might already be telling it inaccurately.

The other two births were wonderful. We again had been seeing midwives more than pediatricians prior to the birth, and we knew we were "very low risk" for having home births. We had very experienced midwives in attendance, and the second time I was game enough to do the baby catching myself (watch out -- it's a slippery job Smile). No real complications (cord wrapped around neck for first 2 but not the 3rd, and this wasn't a real problem - the first, in hospital, was a bit of a problem because the midwife wasn't very confident and reached in to unwrap the cord, which caused tearing and probably wasn't necessary).

We're thinking that it's a shame we have enough kids now, as we feel we've been getting better and better at this birthing thing!

My wife says she's learned that fear is the biggest factor for her in childbirth pain; the more she accepted and welcomed the process the less painful it was, and vice versa. That makes sense to me, even though I'm not a woman Smile. So I believe that the environment is very important to how the birth goes. If we had a wonderful, supportive, caring and professional maternity section or midwifery department at our nearest hospital I think our story could have been different. We have heard other things about other hospitals a little further away, and wouldn't want those either unless they had some sort of revolutionary change take place.

Well, I hope all the above helps in this discussion! Smile

Regards,
Eldon
urangkayo
it's have a big risk for me, your wife can die if he lost much blood.

it's like gamble with your baby and your wife
satyamy
7Pound7 wrote:
He folks,

Where I live, it is very common to have home deliveries. I know in the US most women have to go to the hospital. What is your opinion?
For me it felt most natural that my wife delivered at home, with everything at hand and in a safe environment. And no hospital personnel running around and trying to push the delivery in the 9-5 dayschedule.

7Pound7

well as per my view
its safe & better to go to hospital
if not than
atleast u must be surrounded by a medicinal personnal for help
DeFwh
Due to the fact that over the last thousands years our lifestyles have changed significantly and therefore certain complications arise from it.

Although having a baby at home is fine just remember that u cant save a baby from strangulation or preform an emergency c-section at home. Maybe u could un strangle the baby. Also remember if your baby is going to be home born you should consult a doctor first before doing so as babys born outside of hospitals can catch diseases very easily in the first few weeks. Also special drops that immunize the baby at birth from getting hiv need to be administer or else the baby could get infected rapidly and die within about a day of contact.

In no way is all my information correct as this is what I remember from a project I did 7 years ago but I strongly suggest that any couple considering a home birth consult a doctor and have him present at the birthing.
benjmd
Quote:
Everything (as I said, except for the presence of the MIL) was going fine, then this nurse from who knows where came by to have a look, and changed the calm post-birth time into an emergency room scene. She said the baby was too jaundiced, needed warming under a heat lamp, and needed feeding immediately with a syringe. Our most experienced midwife had just gone off duty, otherwise she would have stood up to her, because she told us later that the diagnosis was absolute rubbish and the baby only needed a close cuddle for a bit to warm her up, then breast milk when she was ready. Poor little newborn! Taken away from her Mother so early to "warm up", and forced to take formula via a tube! Wow, were we angry about that Mad. Especially the fact that the nurse threatened us into allowing her to feed the baby this formula. I would give more details, except I think my memory of it isn't clear enough and I might already be telling it inaccurately.


Just to clarify about neonatal (at birth) jaundice. I can't comment on the diagnosis or the nurse's handling of the situation, but I can speak in general. Jaundice is due to an excessive of a protein called bilirubin in the blood. There are lots of things that cause this ranging from simple to severe. A little bit of jaundice is actually quite normal, but it warrants at least checking a blood level, after which the need for therapy can be assessed. Having a high bilirubin level can cause real problems, including something called "kernicterus." This means staining of the brainstem (literally that yellow color you see in the skin also stains the brain) and it results in neurologic impairment. Appropriate medical management cuts the risk of this tremendously. The easiest, best, and most common therapy for most cases of jaundice that need a little treatment is phototherapy. The point is not actually to warm the baby up - the point is to expose their skin to a certain wavelength of light that changes the bilirubin into a form that is more easily excreted by the body. Little newborns have thin skin and so the light can penetrate into their blood vessels to convert the bilirubin easily. In contrast, this is something that would never work in children or adults because the skin is too thick.

It sounds to me that in this case maybe the communication about what the hospital staff thought would be best for the health of the baby and why wasn't the greatest.
SGbilder
7Pound7 wrote:
He folks,

Where I live, it is very common to have home deliveries. I know in the US most women have to go to the hospital. What is your opinion?
For me it felt most natural that my wife delivered at home, with everything at hand and in a safe environment. And no hospital personnel running around and trying to push the delivery in the 9-5 dayschedule.

7Pound7


Hell no! There is way to much risks involved in having home deliveries. I would never ever risk my baby's or my baby's mothers health in that way. I think it is just plain stupid to do such a thing.. There is a reason that fewer women die in child labour since we got good hospitals, and that the statistic tells that it is way more complications with home deliveries..
eldon_r
benjmd wrote:

It sounds to me that in this case maybe the communication about what the hospital staff thought would be best for the health of the baby and why wasn't the greatest.


Thanks benjmd, I think you're right. There's also that memory loss that comes from it being 8.5 years ago - there was a bit of communication, but what I remember of it seemed pretty loaded with "the customer is always wrong" and "you wouldn't understand if I told you more information so I'll just give you the abbreviated, emotionally charged version to scare you into submission". (Of course, emotions are the best memory makers, so again I am probably skewing things in that direction).

I don't suppose anyone else has had that dished up to them by medical personnel... Wink ...but it's just another reason (one that I wish wasn't there) for our decision.
chrismen
It has probably been said before but come on people... A baby born at home can have so many birth problems that without the help of a hospital can cause unnecessary deaths.
eldon_r
chrismen wrote:
It has probably been said before but come on people... A baby born at home can have so many birth problems that without the help of a hospital can cause unnecessary deaths.

Look, if you want to get on your high horse, fine. But there are other extremes that I am more attracted to. I would like to think better of the medical profession as a whole, but it's a hard ask. I am headed towards an extreme that says the following (this is not a quote, though):

[rant]
If you want to live in fear, you're free to. But that's right where the medical profession wants you. It thrives on fear, it sells sickness. Like the unscrupulous insurance salesman who will play up your fears so that you will see him as your saviour from predicament x, y and z, the medical juggernaut, driven by the pharmaceutical juggernaut, WANTS you to be sick, WANTS you to think of yourself as a "patient", WANTS you to sell out your ownership / responsibility for your own health. Why is this? It's supposed to be a helping profession! Well, I believe it's partly the times we are in, with over-specialisation creeping into all walks of life, but it's mainly due to the nature of the big pharmaceuticals, how they push their products through the doctors. This is something doctors need to withstand, this temptation to benefit personally from getting, or creating more patients. They need to withstand it consciously, because it works on their greed, and they don't want to believe they have a greed problem (none of us do). So I'll only begin to trust doctors who are very hesitant to prescribe drugs, and I'll only go to a hospital if I absolutely have to (and I'll be on guard!), which for me & my family does NOT include childbirth.
[/rant]

Smile Go on - BITE! Smile

PS: Hey, I just noticed I'm afraid of getting hoodwinked by an industry based on fear-mongering. Ironic, eh? ... I'll just re-package that as "I'm wary of it" Wink
odinstag
7Pound7 wrote:
He folks,

Where I live, it is very common to have home deliveries. I know in the US most women have to go to the hospital. What is your opinion?
For me it felt most natural that my wife delivered at home, with everything at hand and in a safe environment. And no hospital personnel running around and trying to push the delivery in the 9-5 dayschedule.

7Pound7


All my children were born at the hospital. But I would have no problem with them being born at home.

I am all for staying as far away from the "system" as I can. Your doctor will most likely be able to foresee any complications. So you will know if you need to have the baby in a hospital.

Then you can make an informed choice.

Children shouldn't cost a butt load to birth. The hospital makes the cost intensive. So, I am all for home birth because of these reasons.

Mine were born at the hospital because their mother said "Honey, take me to the hospital. So, to the hospital we quickly traveled.
myweb
I believe it is better to be in a hospital because :-

the woman might need special procedures

she might need blood Transfer ,
or some small surgery ,
or the baby might need special
kind of help .
Related topics
Abortion: Yes or No?
To the Christians, this is why I don't fear hell.
The Last Movie You Saw?
Does God exist?
Is Adam really the first human in our world?
Big Baby Causes Sensation in Cancun
Asian guys with white girls?
Are (Radical) Muslims Stupid?
Obama - the truth part 1
Christmas is almost near...
Boy in China born with second penis on his back
Mother-in-law problems..
Arguments From Emotion
Honey sweet, honey, grass, Grass America
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Health and Beauty

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.