FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Shadow of the Colossus

japasco
A grat game for PS2 from ICO team; great history, great animation, great music and is old one (from past year). You must try it (is very addictive)

Here's the history:

The story of Shadow of the Colossus begins as Wander enters the forbidden land, travelling across the long bridge at its entrance on his horse, Agro. Led to the massive Shrine of Worship at the center of the region, Wander carries with him a body wrapped in a cloak, which he lays upon an altar in the shrine. Removing the cloak, the body of a maiden named "Mono" is revealed. A moment later, several shadow-like creatures with humanoid forms appear and prepare to attack Wander, but he easily dismisses them with a wave of an ancient sword in his possession. After vanquishing the shadow creatures, the voice of the disembodied entity known as "Dormin" echoes from above, expressing surprise that Wander possesses the weapon. Wander requests that Dormin return Mono's soul to her body, which they state may be possible, but only if the sixteen idols lining the temple's hall are destroyed. They explain that this task can only be accomplished by using the ancient sword to kill sixteen colossi located throughout the land, each containing a portion of Dormin's own essence.
Despite a warning from Dormin that he may have to pay a great price to revive Mono, Wander sets out to search the land for the colossi and destroy them. With the death of each colossus, his physical appearance deteriorates, his skin becoming paler and his hair darker. Meanwhile, Mono's complexion improves and her voice can be faintly heard after each colossus has been killed. After the death of the twelfth, it is revealed to the player that Wander is being pursued by a group of warriors led by the shaman called "Lord Emon". Urged to hurry with his task by Dormin, Wander soon defeats the last colossus. On the way to this confrontation, however, Agro falls from a crumbling bridge into a canyon river far below. Lord Emon's company arrives in the Shrine of Worship just as the last temple idol crumbles, and Wander appears soon after, his eyes and skin now both entirely pale, and two small horns protruding from his head. Declaring that Wander has been possessed, Lord Emon orders his warriors to kill him while he struggles to reach Mono, one warrior shooting Wander in the leg with a crossbow, while another stabs him through his heart. Black blood sprays from the wound as Wander's body becomes covered in darkness and falls to the floor - a death identical to those suffered by the colossi.
Afterward, Dormin's spirit possesses Wander's body, transforming it into a shadowy giant. They explain that their own body was separated to seal away their power. While his men flee, Lord Emon casts the ancient sword used to kill the colossi into a small pool at the back of the temple's hall, creating a whirlwind of light that consumes both Dormin and Wander. Emon and his men flee the forbidden land as the bridge connecting to the temple collapses behind them. As they safely arrive at the entrance to the forbidden land, Emon expresses hope that if Wander survived, he will someday be able to atone for his actions.
In the temple, Mono awakens, restored by Dormin in accordance with their agreement with Wander, and Agro limps into the temple with a broken hind leg. Mono follows him to the pool into which Wander and Dormin were pulled by Emon's spell, finding a male infant with tiny horns on his head. She takes the child with her, following the horse to higher levels of the Shrine of Worship, and arriving at a secret garden within the shrine as the game ends.

Regards,
bluefossil
THis Game is great, kinda short but very enjoyable. I've always Wanted to play Ico but since i played Colossus I got Ico. I like the Style of the visuals. any word on another game from these guys?
djcaution
I'm currently playing through this game and it is just absolutely gorgeous. Like I wish I could take screenshots of this game and frame them as paintings on my wall constantly throughout the game because the outdoor lighting effects along with the gorgeous landscape environments are just freaking eyegasming! (and that's no small thing for me to be saying, I'm not a newb gamer in the least its straight-up been an obsession since NES)

One thing that really gets to me though is how barren and empty the world is, aside from the collossusses lurking in their little caves (only one by one though if you manage to get WAY lost in the gigantimunguous world & stumble across the lair of a collussus that isnt your next target there will be no collossus Sad So it's just a huge, empty world with some lizards and some birds & a few fish. What I would die for is if they made a next-gen Shadow of the Collossus with a more lively, interactive world, like a network of towns not unlike as seen in zelda games, with villagers shaking in fear of 'the feearfuul collooosssuuusss' and well, you get the picture.

That aside, the collossus are SO FREAKING HUGE the game's guaranteed got you hooked after you figure out you need to climb up it's hairy legs/back up onto its head as its trying to shake you off and stab it right in the forehead to make it come crashing down!

In closing, to describe this game...the words epic...grand...grandly epic... grandslam epica masterpiece......all come into mind.

a definite must-try game
-Ed-
althalus
I got this game a few weeks ago and I must say, I was stunned at first. I've never before played a game with bigger enemies than the Colossi. Shocked

So far I've beaten 11 Colossi, but since I joined a new guild in WoW all my time has gone to playing that, so I haven't been able to advance much further.

Beautiful and breathtaking.. That's how I would describe it. Smile
dyrtyrice
I heard this game was awesome, but too short and very slow during parts.

Excerpt: from and IGN REVIEW"

"October 17, 2005 - Shadow of the Colossus is a rather difficult game to review for a couple very important reasons. First, it's hard to talk about the game without spoiling anything, something I'm going to attempt to avoid doing as much as possible. Secondly, trying to describe exactly what makes Shadow of the Colossus so fantastic is akin to trying to describe why the bodies of work of Picasso, Bach or Beethoven are unquestioned classics; you can do your best, but any of these examples must be experienced in full to truly be understood, and especially appreciated.

What isn't difficult, however, is stating that not only is Shadow of the Colossus an absolute must-play experience, but one of the most important games you'll come across anytime soon. Shadow is a true work of art, the likes of which we've only seen approached by a very, very small number of games. The closest thing that comes to mind is ICO, the studio's spiritual precursor to Shadow."

Graphics look awesome, I might have to check this one out, I pretty much missed out on all the good PS2 games, but i guess it's never too late to go back...
Hanpusu-kun
I played shadow of the colossus at a gamemeeting in sweden. I think its an awesome game. A guy also made it to the last boss and it was amazing. It was such a great feeling to see tha last boss, it HUUUUGE!
SilverDogg
i played it for a while, and it was exactly as i pictured it.

big, and empty. ffs, give me some more enemies beside the damn giant bosses. its just too fscking empty!

and that damn hamburger he is riding. woah! either he is one small kid, or that burger is one mighty one (doublebigmac?).
Darkfall
Amazing game, all I've got to say on it.
10/10

:]
philpriest83
amazing, but shame it didnt have more of a story to it, i liked ico cos it had geogrphical puzzles, they couldve had some sorta puzzles on the landscape, say to get to a particualr collosi u have have to negotiate a labyrinth or caverns or mountains, instead of holind a sword up and as good as a big dirty arrow pointing where it is!
That said, this game had me hooked what a great idea, my fav collosus had to be the one with the sword, couldnt work out that for ages! made me cringe when u see him reverb and shatter it on the floor. And it was wierd again like ICO love the weirdness factor, but its nice when they actually explain what the hell is going on at the end!
aquamaniac14
I played Shadow of the Collasus, and found it rather fun. The one reason i dont play it anymore was because i could get past the big buffalo looking collasus. I couldnt kill it. So i sent it back to game fly, if you could tell me how to kill it that would be great!
Jeff_vella_leone
japasco wrote:
A grat game for PS2 from ICO team; great history, great animation, great music and is old one (from past year). You must try it (is very addictive)

Here's the history:

The story of Shadow of the Colossus begins as Wander enters the forbidden land, travelling across the long bridge at its entrance on his horse, Agro. Led to the massive Shrine of Worship at the center of the region, Wander carries with him a body wrapped in a cloak, which he lays upon an altar in the shrine. Removing the cloak, the body of a maiden named "Mono" is revealed. A moment later, several shadow-like creatures with humanoid forms appear and prepare to attack Wander, but he easily dismisses them with a wave of an ancient sword in his possession. After vanquishing the shadow creatures, the voice of the disembodied entity known as "Dormin" echoes from above, expressing surprise that Wander possesses the weapon. Wander requests that Dormin return Mono's soul to her body, which they state may be possible, but only if the sixteen idols lining the temple's hall are destroyed. They explain that this task can only be accomplished by using the ancient sword to kill sixteen colossi located throughout the land, each containing a portion of Dormin's own essence.
Despite a warning from Dormin that he may have to pay a great price to revive Mono, Wander sets out to search the land for the colossi and destroy them. With the death of each colossus, his physical appearance deteriorates, his skin becoming paler and his hair darker. Meanwhile, Mono's complexion improves and her voice can be faintly heard after each colossus has been killed. After the death of the twelfth, it is revealed to the player that Wander is being pursued by a group of warriors led by the shaman called "Lord Emon". Urged to hurry with his task by Dormin, Wander soon defeats the last colossus. On the way to this confrontation, however, Agro falls from a crumbling bridge into a canyon river far below. Lord Emon's company arrives in the Shrine of Worship just as the last temple idol crumbles, and Wander appears soon after, his eyes and skin now both entirely pale, and two small horns protruding from his head. Declaring that Wander has been possessed, Lord Emon orders his warriors to kill him while he struggles to reach Mono, one warrior shooting Wander in the leg with a crossbow, while another stabs him through his heart. Black blood sprays from the wound as Wander's body becomes covered in darkness and falls to the floor - a death identical to those suffered by the colossi.
Afterward, Dormin's spirit possesses Wander's body, transforming it into a shadowy giant. They explain that their own body was separated to seal away their power. While his men flee, Lord Emon casts the ancient sword used to kill the colossi into a small pool at the back of the temple's hall, creating a whirlwind of light that consumes both Dormin and Wander. Emon and his men flee the forbidden land as the bridge connecting to the temple collapses behind them. As they safely arrive at the entrance to the forbidden land, Emon expresses hope that if Wander survived, he will someday be able to atone for his actions.
In the temple, Mono awakens, restored by Dormin in accordance with their agreement with Wander, and Agro limps into the temple with a broken hind leg. Mono follows him to the pool into which Wander and Dormin were pulled by Emon's spell, finding a male infant with tiny horns on his head. She takes the child with her, following the horse to higher levels of the Shrine of Worship, and arriving at a secret garden within the shrine as the game ends.

Regards,

nice describtion
i never played this game and i think il have a go somethime when i have time
thanks for the info Smile
Dj Redrum
Its an ok game i would'nt say it was a great game though as it is very frustrating at times, even at the start of the game.

At the moment im on the 4th boss type and that as just put me off playin any more as it is to hard to get onto the things back.
Kiandoshi
This game is Great. It is probably the best game I have every played, not for being a typical game but for being a huge, lonely, and beautiful game. This game uses not mindless enemys and the like to challenge and delight the player but, it uses scale, which I think works very well. The best part of the game was the feel of the controls, I absolutely love the interaction with the environment and enemys.

Here is the way to beat the buffilo boss, I assume you mean the one down in the cave lol. He is easy really. Get off your horse while behind the collosus. Switch to your bow. Watch as he lifts his feet, the targets are on the bottoms of his feet. I believe you shoot two of his hooves and he falls some allowing you to climb onto his back. The rest is cake.
Xellos
the 4th boss is a b***h, you have to hide under the cave to make it mad.
the colossi will try to stump the cave while you're below.

wait til it try to take a peek inside then you run out the other side of the cave and get on it's back by grap onto it's tail. this one is not really easy

the music in this game is real good. i even cut one for my custom ringtone from the soundtrack.
dyrtyrice
I actually have this game now and love it to death, I wouldn't say it's too slow at parts, but it is a bit short. It's reminescent of a Zelda boss rush mode, but a hell of a lot more satisying. Hopefully we'll soon see more from the team that made this and Ico. Seriously the draw distance in this game is amazing and I seriously can't believe they mastered the PS2 processing power so well!
DarkJad
Umm, nice job at completely ruining the game's story. A "history" that lacks a spoiler alert wouldn't mention anything after "Despite a warning from Dormin that he may have to pay a great price to revive Mono, Wander sets out to search the land for the colossi and destroy them. "

Shadow=great game.
OP=terrible.
m_furquan36
sounds like a good game goota get my hands on it Smile
androjuni
GREAT GAME!!

feels kind of lonely though wandering around the very very very large map where nothing else makes a sound but you and youre trusty horse...

i realy hope there will be a sequel, and in the sequel there will be little monsters to fight and some more people to talk to..

yet again, game is great! grab a cop and PLAY it! great graphics, gameplay, and a realy great twist sa story.
Wink