FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

B&W logo with transparent background

buddycat
I have a b&w graphics file in postscript that i want to put on my page, but so
that the white is transparent and the web page background shows through.

Does anyone know how to do this without dabbling in the postscript code?

Also, what format should I convert the postscript into to include it on the
Web page? (I think html cannot import postscript.)

If you have an asnwer, please try to put it into plain English; I am neither
a computer scientist, nor a hacker.

Thanks in advance.

PS. BTW, is there a spell-check on this thing?
LukeakaDanish
Nope - there is no spell checker Wink

Nope - Browsers dont understand postscript

There are two ways of getting semi-transparent images on your website:

1. The easy way: Convert your image to .gif (if you need to know how to do this, plz ask) and choose white as your transparent color. The advantage of this is that its easy. The disadvantage is that it doesnt look so good - because any pixels that are nearly white will stay nearly white - they wont be nearly transparent. This creates an ugly halo effect around your image. Also antialiasing (smooth images/fonts) are useless with gif transparency
  2. The hard way: Convert your image to .png (if you need to know how to do this, plz ask). This is a "png hack" which will make your png work in Internet Explorer (it wont otherwise). Please also ask if you need help using the hack. The advantage is that the quality of .png's is awesome and you get exactly what you want. The disadvantage is that its harder!

I hope that helped and wasnt too geeky Very Happy - I cant explain it in any other way - if you dont know anything about making websites then the only thing i can do is to do it for you really...
sceptileex
png is the best way IMO. IE7 supposedly has png support, firefox has had it all this time. If you hacve photoshop just use background eraser then save it as .png .
LukeakaDanish
sceptileex wrote:
png is the best way IMO. IE7 supposedly has png support, firefox has had it all this time. If you hacve photoshop just use background eraser then save it as .png .

IE7 and Firefox only has 10% of the market put together.

So your page has to work in IE6 (if your a logical person Wink)

But yeah...png are the best - include them using the png hack i described above though, so they work in IE 6 aswell
medievalman26
I agree with you guys. What I do is I use Fireworks because when you export the image it lets you modify it so that they white background is transparent. So if you have it use fireworks if you need help on using it or doing my suggestion let me know and I can walk you through it.
biedr0na666
hmmm, i haven't done much in png yet, but.... I've put a nice png on a website (saved it using Photoshop 7.0 CE) and my crappy old IE6 displays it.
So, where seems to be the problem? is it just about a TRANSPARENT png or any png??

And yep, I agree png IS awesome!! colors are beautiful, compression ratio slightly worse than jpg, but for web graphics it's just irreplaceable.

cheers to you all PNG followers Wink)
LukeakaDanish
biedr0na666 wrote:
hmmm, i haven't done much in png yet, but.... I've put a nice png on a website (saved it using Photoshop 7.0 CE) and my crappy old IE6 displays it.
So, where seems to be the problem? is it just about a TRANSPARENT png or any png??

And yep, I agree png IS awesome!! colors are beautiful, compression ratio slightly worse than jpg, but for web graphics it's just irreplaceable.

cheers to you all PNG followers Wink)

Yea...the problem is only there with alpha channel png's (the tansparent ones)

If .png's dont compress as well as you want them, just index your image first with as low a color count as possible...
ivanegues
You could show here some of the final results.
Wink
dvanex
I have used .png for anything with transparency and it displays perfectly. Png supports every color in the .psd you are making it from and can be used in different applications such as Flash with the same great transparent results. Gif on the other hand only supports 256 colors and low quality 1 bit transparency. Trust me on this if .png comes out with animation .gif will be obsolete in no time. Very Happy Sorry for the 1 bit transparency smiley, its not my fault its a .gif. Ok now heres transparency