FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

google ad placement problems, need help

TheGeek
My new site layout

Im using the mollio layout template and im trying to get the google ad to work inside or in place of the two boxes on the right side. However, everytime i do that it ends up looking weird. Please if you can think of something suggest it. I need help
NjRocket
TheGeek wrote:
My new site layout

Im using the mollio layout template and im trying to get the google ad to work inside or in place of the two boxes on the right side. However, everytime i do that it ends up looking weird. Please if you can think of something suggest it. I need help

um i dont see any ads anywhere man. Place the ads where you want them, so we can SEE the problem ya know.
LukeakaDanish
Ok...i dont know how capable you are of html/css stuff...this is gonna be the geeky/jargonized/wierd/not-entirely-understandable answer. (if you want the long/easy-to-understand/simplified answer, just ask)

I think the problem might be the the id="sidebar" div's width attribute (defined in CSS as 20%)

At high resolutions, I predict that the adsence stuff will position and display propperly, however if 20% is less than the width of the adsence box, the browser will face a problem. I presume this is what's breaking your layout.

I have 3 solutions for you...either:

1. Choose another google adsence block which is less wide (this obviously wont fix it, only make it right in more resolutions than before)
  2. Hard code the width in the template. This may be difficuilt, as the width of the content is also a dynamic width. The solution is absolute positioning for the sidebar and a negative margin for the content (its difficult but not impossible to do)
  3. Use some crafty (but not so clever) CSS hacks. I think min-width and inline-comments might do the job...

I hope this helped
TheGeek
Thank you LukeakaDanish, thankfully I am rather capable with both of those languages and your suggestion made almost perfect sense. I will try to manually adjust some of the sizes and see if that works since that is the simples solution you suggested. If that doesn't do it I will try the absolute dimensions and see if i can get it that way.

Thanks a lot

And NjRocket, I know the ads are not up there, that is because they cant fit and why i described where i wanted them.
TheGeek
Ok, update to the last post. I tried just resizing the thing and turns out that all i had to do was adjust the "sidebar" width to the same width as the ad and making the width static instead of dynamic made it work.

Thanks a lot guys. Now i have to figure out what content to put on the rest of the page.

Here is the page if you would like to take a look, and give me some feedback Thanks
LukeakaDanish
Im glad is was that easy Smile

One thing though:

At high-ish resolutions (mine's 1280*1024) the ad's overlap with the red/black bar at the bottom. Especially if one of your pages has LESS content than the current one, this could be come apparent and look kinda funny.

Try using clear: both or something...

(After i wrote that i decided it doesnt really matter - i left it anyway if your interested though)
TheGeek
Yea, thanks i noticed that too when i started making sure that it worked in all resolutions. I opted to just leave it as well because this site is made for screens that are running at 1024x768. The template looks weird in general at anything higher than that anyway. Thanks though.
LukeakaDanish
Your welcome!

Your template looks fine @ my resolution though Smile
(and btw 1280 * 1024 is very common nowadays)
TheGeek
Could you please have a look at the site and IE...why doesn't it work...crap...
LukeakaDanish
Your conditional comments are f'd up... Confused

I cant tell you how to do them, because i think they are useless (and therefor dont know how to do them), but i suggest googling for it - i certainly know they're meant to look like HTML comments in some way...
TheGeek
Ok i think i know whats up with it, but it has to do with the file found at geekattack-online.net/newsite/css/ie6_or_less.css

Im thinking that for some reason this file is not working right with IE the way that my site is now, however, when i first got the template it worked just fine...so im not sure what i messed up but as far as i know, everything about that doc is the same...
LukeakaDanish
I've just spotted a problem in firefox (i dont know whether this has been there all the time)

The adverts go over the content!

Confused
TheGeek
yea, i dont know what happened with that, i think i uploaded a messed up version of the page. That version has since been deleted and has been replaced by the correct version of the page on the server.
TheGeek
OMG I FIGURED IT OUT!!!! Very Happy Embarassed Shocked

apparently if you comment like this "<!--Comment--!>" IE doesn't like it, however, if you comment like this "<!--Comment-->" It likes it... Laughing Embarassed

STUPID IE!!! Mad
LukeakaDanish
TheGeek wrote:
OMG I FIGURED IT OUT!!!! Very Happy Embarassed Shocked

apparently if you comment like this "<!--Comment--!>" IE doesn't like it, however, if you comment like this "<!--Comment-->" It likes it... Laughing Embarassed

STUPID IE!!! Mad

Haha...IE is stupid but in this case you didnt give it a chance Wink

Comments have to be like that in all browsers... Confused
TheGeek
well, either way, FF didnt give two looks at the extra exclaimation mark...why cant IE do that...O well, im glad i figured it out...now i have to finish the rest of the content for the site and port all the stuff from my old site over...this is the easy part.