FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Playstation 4? Xbox 720?





william
Xbox 360 came out last year and the Playstation 3 and the Nintendo Wii are on the way. I'm just wondering, in maybe five years or so we'll probably have new consoles out. So what do you think the Playstation 4 or any 8th generation console will be like?

Blu-ray and HD-DVD is new "next generation" technology, but by then, it'll probably be outdated. Next generation consoles may have a new format, or might not even use optical disks.

Anyway, what do you think the 8th generation consoles will be like?
Shanghai_Dragon
I think the 8th generation gaming consoles will run on games that you download onto the hard disk through the company, because it costs money to make disks for the games. Also I believe it would use a controller other than a gamepad. Maybe it will come with gaming googles to make you feel that you are in the middle of the action. But then again... I don't think technology will develop that fast.
Nameless
I'm crossing my fingers for at least basic VR. Then the next consoles after that won't BE consoles by full-body VR suits or chambers. Smile

I also predict Playstation will FINALLY hire someone to think of slightly better names by Playstation 5.
cg219
I dont know. I dont think they can honestly get any better than now. LIke come on. Next thing they are goin to have are real actors in the games lol. Or maybe virtual reality. But then again, I didnt think THey could get better than Ps2. Im a sony fan so f*** Xbox. LOl but ya. I dont think they can get any better. IF they do, it'll be too expensive for anyone to buy it.
Nameless
cg219 wrote:
I dont think they can get any better. IF they do, it'll be too expensive for anyone to buy it.


Somehow, I don't that will stop people. Rolling Eyes
dray101
I think that in the future, all games will be on computers, laptops and handholds, because, quite simply, they will be faster enough to run the most hard out graphics and calculations, that it would be a waste of money to by a whole new console(s) just for gaming.

As for virtual rooms etc, I think they are a long way off yet..... Wink

However one day, maybe.......
Yjaxygames
They should change the new things on the consoles. Not only the graphics and stuff like that, but other original stuff too, I can't think of anything now, they may do the thinking. They get paid.
Manofgames
Quote:
Somehow, I don't that will stop people.

I think it will because are you going to be willing to pay say... £1000 for a gaming console????

I think that the wy forward is downloading games to hard disk then playing them, what with broadband getting faster.

I think too that next gen consoles like (hopefully not named) PS6 (Or PSX) will end up being upgradeable so that you can fit them with better chips.

So we'll just end up buying gaming pcs
Soulfire
Sony has already hinted in some news releases regarding the PS3 that the PS4 would be under development and could be released anywhere from 5-10 years after PS3.
QrafTee
You know you guys totally forgot to mention the Nintendo Yu (You). It'll probably have the console have a motion sensor as well so it can detect body movements and so on. Eh... who knows, it's possible.
Josso
It will be more internet concentrated, games will be availible for download (because of increase in connection speeds at cheap prices) or I was thinking we might go back to cards. I mean with how small memory chips are actually getting it's perfectly reasonable to fit games on small peices cards. It'll definatly be interesting though, I look forward to seeing them.
djwayno
Well id have to say its near real life movie graphics. It has to be because the playstation 3 is already touching this. The 360 and wii are already outdated. The wii graphics are not very powerfull. that console is just the history of nintendo with a control pag failure already.

But the next generation predictions

PS Ultimate
The worlds most powerful games machine. offering real life 4d ultra robotics combined with a new revulation of Eyetoy taking virtual reality to a whole new world. no doubt, the disk format will be incredible because they are already using 50gb blueray disks for this machine.

EGG Box
Egg box, well what can i say. it will be a huge egg improved slightly from the 360.

Nintendo Michael Jackson

They have finnally realised they only make games for kids with graphics from playstations first console. So they should call it Nintendo Michael Jackson. With a slogan "For Kids" They may make pairs of socks and put buttons on too play gta10 lol.
william
QrafTee wrote:
You know you guys totally forgot to mention the Nintendo Yu (You). It'll probably have the console have a motion sensor as well so it can detect body movements and so on. Eh... who knows, it's possible.


Nice idea for a name. I couldn't really think of any names.

In the future, I think (or hope) that you can actually be "in" the game. Perhaps copy your entire genome into the console, and you're in the game. That would be amazing.
djwayno
yeah that would be awsome. but i think the pc3 can put you in a game using the eyetoy. i seen an amazing demo for the ps3 putting someone into a real game. i seen it on gamespy.

But gaming has developed so much in the last 10 years. I do wonder what the next 10 years will bring. When will it come to an end.

Something that i havent mentioned is the next generation of handhelds.

i know that nintendo, gizmondo and and other rivals are just going to copy psp. so what could the psp2 bring in the future.

i know that there is one new handheld console coming out made by iRiver with 8gb of memory built in. this is pretty incredible so it could be very good.

a link for the IRiver is here

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/01/03/iriver-g10-to-enter-handheld-market/
anzzek
i realy enjoy playing games on my ps2, but how expensive could the new generation of video gaming consoles cost , ovbiously with the new equipment and hardware, well , hope my ps2 dont get old....XD
djwayno
Well the Nintendo Wii is costing $200 (£120) - which is really cheap but they always have been.

The playstation 3 = $595(£400) stupid price. I cant see them selling many until they half this price.
DRXX
I doubt they will make another Playstation, I mean, why would they, Whats to add new inside it..

And they might make an another x-box

360 is no.1
rayx
I think the next generation console should be more realistic that can now emulate the real world. But I think it is 20 Years from now. Next generation will be more on Internet Gaming.
djwayno
DRXX wrote:
I doubt they will make another Playstation, I mean, why would they, Whats to add new inside it..

And they might make an another x-box

360 is no.1


already since the playstation 3 specs come out. There are announcments for even more powerful gaming on PC. In 5 years time when the ps4 or different name is made. It will have 10x more advanced technology than it has now.

If you knew what sony knew then you would be a millionaire.

Its called the product life style. They release old technology when they have found new technology. Its so they make money.

If they released what they know all at the same time, there would be no need for everyone to buy the different products.

There is no limit on finding out new technology. For starters, the playstation can invest more in 4d instead of 3d. More on virtual reality.
guhuai
i like xbox
Fire Boar
djwayno wrote:
Well id have to say its near real life movie graphics. It has to be because the playstation 3 is already touching this. The 360 and wii are already outdated. The wii graphics are not very powerfull. that console is just the history of nintendo with a control pag failure already.

But the next generation predictions

PS Ultimate
The worlds most powerful games machine. offering real life 4d ultra robotics combined with a new revulation of Eyetoy taking virtual reality to a whole new world. no doubt, the disk format will be incredible because they are already using 50gb blueray disks for this machine.

EGG Box
Egg box, well what can i say. it will be a huge egg improved slightly from the 360.

Nintendo Michael Jackson

They have finnally realised they only make games for kids with graphics from playstations first console. So they should call it Nintendo Michael Jackson. With a slogan "For Kids" They may make pairs of socks and put buttons on too play gta10 lol.

djwayno wrote:
i know that nintendo, gizmondo and and other rivals are just going to copy psp. so what could the psp2 bring in the future.


Fanboy alert! *sighs* What you seem to be forgetting is that Sony are going out of business in the future, completely bought out by Nintendo who are to regain their rightful position of "The Real Computer Entertainment Company" once again.

I know, I've been in the future and seen it all.

Joking, actually. But seriously, there's no way there'll ever be an Egg Box or a Nintendo Michael Jackson and since when have Nintendo copied Sony's ideas? *cough* Wiimote first *cough* Then came 6 degrees of motion *cough cough*.

Point I'm trying to make is that Nintendo was the sole competitor that anyone took any notice of in generation NES, they won in generation SNES-vs-Genesis, they won in generation N64-vs-Playstation, Sony won in generation Gamecube-vs-PS2-vs-XBox, Nintendo and Sony are both about tied in generation DS-vs-PSP and Nintendo looks set to win generation Wii-vs-PS3-vs-XBox360. But we can never know what's going to happen in future generations and given Nintendo's past success it would be ignorant and blind to assume that only Sony will survive to generation 8.

[/rant]
darth_revan
I dont like PSP. Nintendo DS was original, especially its games. For example, nintendogs. But PSP doesnt have original games, but its graphics are way too good. The problem is, graphics cannot entertain players. Nintendo knows that, and they are developing Wii (revolution). I can easily say that it will be the most entertaining console...
Pablo Diablo
I am still trying to cling to my original XBOX for as long as possible, please don't bring up it's 3rd generation already!

I heard Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are already out of date. A combination of companies are working together to create a new disc type that holds 100g igabytes of data and its already in the patent process. I can't remember the companies or the disc code name though.
djwayno
I would agree with you if the wii had plans to release normal games. But who the ****** wants to stand like a complete idiot all the time waving their hands about in the air. The DS is rubbish, the games are poor. The whole idea of the psp was to put the best ever console the PS2 into a handheld and its worked.

I have watched the e3 confrence and the wii is for kids and people who cant play the challenging games. ill wait and see, but sony have brought out these type of things before like the soccer mat, and the golf clubs that you swing around. They have flopped, because you do the same thing over and over.

I think the wii will flop, simply because its stupid.
lococobra
I'll point out something very simple...

Last gen polygons per character = approx 1000-5000

Current gen polygons per character = approx 25000 - 50000

Next gen? = approx 500K?

That would be at the level of almost 100% perfect realism as far as wrinkles and such goes... of course it will never actually get this high because they will try to advance physics and textures as well, which will cut down on how much detail there can be.

The current gen looks good, but not very realistic. Next gen will look like current movies, the gen after that should look exactly like real life. Scary if you put it that way eh?

Please tell me if what I'm saying is wrong...
xkobram
Im looking for virtual reality

And who cares about polygons, its about nothing, BIO gaming is on the way!!!
Osprey
cg219 wrote:
I dont think they can honestly get any better than now. .... IF they do, it'll be too expensive for anyone to buy it.


DRXX wrote:
I doubt they will make another Playstation, I mean, why would they, Whats to add new inside it..


This is ridicules, there is always new technology in development and new avenues to explore. I remember when pong came out and people were saying things like "This is the best!", "It can't get any better than this!"... Do you think they were right? Unless we get blown back to the stone age there will always be more development in gaming and consoles. The form factor of what we consider a console game may change, but I don't see it stopping until we have something as immersive as a holodeck and even then there will most likely be room for improvement. There are many steps along the way, we don't even have stereoscopic consoles yet, visually I think that is the next step. Wii is going in a fresh new direction by devolving innovative new ways to interact with a console, the future of new gaming consoles looks bright.

As for expense? That first pong machine we had was probably around $200, it played 1 game with a few minor variations. Someone else mentioned that the Wii was targeted around $200... Not much change but considering inflation that pong system would be the equivalent of $650 today. So what does this tell us? Consoles are costing less? Cutting edge entertainment is always going to be a bit pricey, but not out of the range of the average consumer, if you can wait the price will come down. Nintendo is great with this, they don't release a machine that is going to bankrupt you, they use slightly older technology and add an intuitive spin to it and sell you a quality product for less than their competitors.
QrafTee
djwayno wrote:
I would agree with you if the wii had plans to release normal games. But who the **** wants to stand like a complete idiot all the time waving their hands about in the air. The DS is rubbish, the games are poor. The whole idea of the psp was to put the best ever console the PS2 into a handheld and its worked.

I have watched the e3 confrence and the wii is for kids and people who cant play the challenging games. ill wait and see, but sony have brought out these type of things before like the soccer mat, and the golf clubs that you swing around. They have flopped, because you do the same thing over and over.

I think the wii will flop, simply because its stupid.

Hey fanboy... umm the thing is that E3 didn't allow many kids to go in there (due to their strict rules), and keeping that in mind (hoping that you can hold two thoughts at once) the Sony/Microsoft lines were deserted compared to the Nintendo (Wii) lines, even until the end of E3.

Now you say the DS is rubbish? Wow, that must only be you because the DS is a success which many gamers and game reviewers will admit because everyone believed that it was just one of Nintendo's gimmicks (I thought so as well) and the DS games are much better than the PSP's games. Okay, so they have ports (which they promised wouldn't happen because the PSP would be so wonderful... ehem... that's another subject altogether) and that is nice but gamers want good games with some originality in it, not just ports with "Ooo... pretty graphics." And they're not hard games either... since most of us has already played it once the PSP games are fairly easy.

Now you say Sony has tried something like that with stuff like soccer mats and golf mats? You forget an important thing, the Wii's stuff in integrated so you don't need to buy extra mats (which costs more from what I remember) and the Wii games will most likely use the "gimmick" all the time (although it doesn't have to and that's understandable as I don't want Super Smash Bros. Brawl to use the Wii-motes unique functions).

So please, because you try to argue for something get your facts straight and use valid premises young fanboy-kun.
mjhz
william wrote:
Xbox 360 came out last year and the Playstation 3 and the Nintendo Wii are on the way. I'm just wondering, in maybe five years or so we'll probably have new consoles out. So what do you think the Playstation 4 or any 8th generation console will be like?

Blu-ray and HD-DVD is new "next generation" technology, but by then, it'll probably be outdated. Next generation consoles may have a new format, or might not even use optical disks.

Anyway, what do you think the 8th generation consoles will be like?


Ithink that HD and Blueray disc are going to be old when that will be released.
HDD and OS is the thing to come with consols
roach831
Nameless wrote:
cg219 wrote:
I dont think they can get any better. IF they do, it'll be too expensive for anyone to buy it.


Somehow, I don't that will stop people. Rolling Eyes


i dont know maybe it will go up to 1000$, i dont think people are gonna want to buy a game console that cost that much, its like buying a car, omg that will be expensive. but i doubt the cost will go over 800$
gr3gg3r
In the next 6 years parents are going to have the choice of implanting all of their new born babies with a computer chip. This chip will allow direct access to say Sony or Microsoft gaming centers, which will then in turn cost an anual fee for each game played. Everything is kept in logs within the chips memory processor to keep track of the time spent playing those certain games. Parents will be billed via credit card in the mail annually.

Through this process kids will be able to play games when and where they feel like it. Instead of any controllers or television sets they will be able to use their imagination and ultimately their minds to play their favorite games. Of course all of these new chips will have internet capabilities. Not WiFi, but the next generation of internet access that allows access anywhere in the world.

There will be limits of course to the internal memory gaming. Restricted zones, like schools or when you are in the work force, help stop gamers playing while in those certain places.

This is just my thought though. I honestly wouldn't want this theory to happen, because it just sounds scary. But this definetely would be the "next generation" of gaming..... literally.
william
gr3gg3r wrote:
In the next 6 years parents are going to have the choice of implanting all of their new born babies with a computer chip. This chip will allow direct access to say Sony or Microsoft gaming centers, which will then in turn cost an anual fee for each game played. Everything is kept in logs within the chips memory processor to keep track of the time spent playing those certain games. Parents will be billed via credit card in the mail annually.

Through this process kids will be able to play games when and where they feel like it. Instead of any controllers or television sets they will be able to use their imagination and ultimately their minds to play their favorite games. Of course all of these new chips will have internet capabilities. Not WiFi, but the next generation of internet access that allows access anywhere in the world.

There will be limits of course to the internal memory gaming. Restricted zones, like schools or when you are in the work force, help stop gamers playing while in those certain places.

This is just my thought though. I honestly wouldn't want this theory to happen, because it just sounds scary. But this definetely would be the "next generation" of gaming..... literally.


That would be awesome, but yeah, kinda scary. Though I don't think that we'll have technology that advanced soon.

Quote:
i dont know maybe it will go up to 1000$, i dont think people are gonna want to buy a game console that cost that much, its like buying a car, omg that will be expensive. but i doubt the cost will go over 800$


Well, technology becomes cheaper and cheaper as the years go by. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the most expensive console was about $700. It didn't succeed but technology like that would cost maybe $100 now. So, I think the prices might actually be the same.
ubertech
I dont know when do you think they will bring out another console? how many better graphics can they get it is already amazing with the 360 and ps3 coming out shortly... I'm not going to waste my money they just bring out something newer and before you know it you have an out dated model!
william
ubertech wrote:
I dont know when do you think they will bring out another console? how many better graphics can they get it is already amazing with the 360 and ps3 coming out shortly... I'm not going to waste my money they just bring out something newer and before you know it you have an out dated model!


Yeah, technology changes really quickly. A new console will probably come out in 5-10 years. The graphics on the PS3 and 360 are awesome, though they're not completely realistic. They can always be better.
Mwilliams
I think the playstations and xbox will use mini DVDs and they will also support yahoo and aol messangers.
QrafTee
Mwilliams wrote:
I think the playstations and xbox will use mini DVDs and they will also support yahoo and aol messangers.

That makes no sense, the Gamecube uses mini-DVDs (called GODs - Gamecube Optical Discs) and we've seen how much of a disadvantage it is on the Gamecube. Why would the next-next-gen PSes and XBOXes use mini-anythings? The fact is that they should use standard sizes (if the standard shrinks, then so be it) to get the most they can get out of their mediums.
I can see the XBOX using MSN Messenger, and Sony using AIM, but we can't say until it happens if ever.
ForceRun
I've talked a lot about this. Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 !yet unreleased! are both out of date. Grab a Nvidia GeForce 7900GT (OverClocked Mod) for $220-270 and you got them beat. Then run SLi and duel monitors and find out what real gaming is. Guess whats happening next year. Visita! Which means nothing to a lot of people, but they don't understand it means finally full duel & quad core system support, 64 bit!, HD full path setup, and the big one DirectX 10!!! With PC already smashing concles in gaming, just wait for the new DirectX 10. Nvidia should announce their new card in a few weeks, so if you are planning to buy HOLD ON FOR JUST A LITTLE LONGER!. All the big title games will have to be PC only for this reason alone. I'm sure with Microsoft gaming Live thing they are doing that they will port the games they control to XBox but at even a higher cut to graphics, sound, setup, and gameplay than they do now.

Did you know that, the same game on PC and XBox really isn't the same game? Just a cheap copy for Mr. XBox. Such is life. As far as HD and BlueRay work so far they are a joke give the tech. at least 6 months to even be usable.

I just got Company oF Heroes (WWII RTS) from THQ. Wow such a beautiful game, the next generation of games is here, and no console can hope to play them. Crisis (the new Farcry) which looks so sweet, is leading the pack once again and will come out fully DirectX 10, not planned at all for console release. The future is the PC. Find yourself a friend with a real gaming rig and there is no comparson.

Consoles will stick around because poeple are too dumb to learn how use computer and/or lazy. And mostly because the big guys like Microsoft want your money, but as we can already see they will be more and more just a unmodably, under powered PC.

Sure PCs can cost a lot more, but they can do so much more than Consoles. Help console die "Just Say No to Consoles!"
Fire Boar
As above, but remember: say "Yes" to innovation. Ie, Wii. Everything possible on an XBox or Playstation is possible with a computer. Look at the Wii and try and get some of the games from there onto a computer and you're stuffed. That's why Wii is different. That's why I'm not getting an XBox 360 or a PS3, because I have a perfectly good computer that outperforms them both, and that all games worth getting are probably on the PC too. Having a PC and a Wii will give me access to the best of gaming more than having a PC and any other console.

I thank you for reading.
kansloos
hum!
we're still in 2006.
if you are really unlucky you won't even make 2011
so focus on the current consoles!

or just buy a good pc
ForceRun
I guess I just dicounted the Wii because of it name, lol. What a joke.... Sorry anyways, I stand by what I say to the Wii as well, if you really want the crazy controls I'm sure you will be able to get them for PC. Thereby the PC tops even the future consoles yet unreleased.

Just relize what is a console -- it is a underpowered PC with very little functionality and use. Also most of the time very hard or not possible to upgrade, mod, and/or config. The major bottlenecks of console, past, present, and diffently future are the controllers, TV vs Monitor, function, game genre (FPS, RTS, and most top down games just don't work on consoles), and the list goes on.

The Wii is new and different I will give it that, but just as fast as everyone got excited about they will lose all interest in it. I see it as the new Dreamcast, hopeful but doomed to fail.
Kelcey
ForceRun wrote:
I guess I just dicounted the Wii because of it name, lol. What a joke.... Sorry anyways, I stand by what I say to the Wii as well, if you really want the crazy controls I'm sure you will be able to get them for PC. Thereby the PC tops even the future consoles yet unreleased.

Just relize what is a console -- it is a underpowered PC with very little functionality and use. Also most of the time very hard or not possible to upgrade, mod, and/or config. The major bottlenecks of console, past, present, and diffently future are the controllers, TV vs Monitor, function, game genre (FPS, RTS, and most top down games just don't work on consoles), and the list goes on.

The Wii is new and different I will give it that, but just as fast as everyone got excited about they will lose all interest in it. I see it as the new Dreamcast, hopeful but doomed to fail.


Every point you make is correct. However, at the same time it benefits consoles (up until the recent xbox 360...).

Not being able to upgrade your system's hardware means that you'll always be able to play the games made for it. A console's life span lasts for about 4-5 years. So that's a benefit whie the downfall is you aren't gonna see instant massive leaps in what the machine can do as you could with a PC.

Consoles offer more stability because the coders are only coding for certain hardware... unlike the PC where there are many variables. But, like I said, this "benefit" of owning a console seems to be falling apart with the 360. I won't be surprised if it continues with the PS3, but I highly doub t it will with the Wii.

Clearly the main difference between the two is the games you can play. You aren't gonna find a lot of the rts, fps, and mmos that are on pc to be on consoles. And vice versa, you aren't gonna find Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Final Fantasy (7,8,11 on pc), Devil May Cry, and Ninja Gaiden on PC.

So yeah, both have their benefits... depends what you wanna play Razz
CivilizeD
djwayno wrote:
Well id have to say its near real life movie graphics. It has to be because the playstation 3 is already touching this. The 360 and wii are already outdated. The wii graphics are not very powerfull. that console is just the history of nintendo with a control pag failure already.

But the next generation predictions

PS Ultimate
The worlds most powerful games machine. offering real life 4d ultra robotics combined with a new revulation of Eyetoy taking virtual reality to a whole new world. no doubt, the disk format will be incredible because they are already using 50gb blueray disks for this machine.

EGG Box
Egg box, well what can i say. it will be a huge egg improved slightly from the 360.

Nintendo Michael Jackson

They have finnally realised they only make games for kids with graphics from playstations first console. So they should call it Nintendo Michael Jackson. With a slogan "For Kids" They may make pairs of socks and put buttons on too play gta10 lol.


This all sounds great I can't wait till I get em Cool
eday2010
The games for the current and new generation consoles look great, but nothing will ever replace the 16-bit era as my favourite. I'll gladly always play my Sega Genesis and SNES games, and even my 8-bit Sega MasterSystem games. Simple and lots of fun. The new games and machines are great, but the old school stuff is still my favourite Smile
j0zman
More use of rendering (parallax), more details, bigger environments, new physics system, better quality games. I'm looking forward to PS4 Very Happy
xeekkcnook
I myself am hoping for Virtual reality ADVANCED (where you run on a platform and it will move your character and so on and so forth.. or even mind controled! Shocked
QrafTee
xeekkcnook wrote:
I myself am hoping for Virtual reality ADVANCED (where you run on a platform and it will move your character and so on and so forth.. or even mind controled! Shocked

Mind controlled... the risk is too high (though not really, but in this situation the percentages are skewed) for brain injury in times of a lightning storm or some freak accident sending out a backsurge of electricity into your brain. You think the whole Pokemon Episode Seizure was bad? Think about how it will be when Sony/Nintendo kills people via brainshock (Somehow I don't see Microsoft into this type of gaming... or maybe they might, it'd be easier to be a monopoly if they controlled the consumers)0.
j0zman
Virtual reality, yes! That would be rocking! To be dragged into the game, like you're fighting as a real soldier. Nobody would redo a war, but as for a game it could be damn sweet.
DopeyCriz
World is going to end anyways.

BOOM.
GONE.

Damned O-Zone...


And......

PS3 is going to be the best, until...............

The company make a virtual reality.

Confused Ain't so pleased about it,
Nothing can beat the finger bashing controller Very Happy
give my thumb an exercise, these days people get overweight thumbs Wink

~DopeyCriz
Cal_123
Hm it's a hard call to make, they might have found a way of revolutionising cosoles by then, like actually putting u in the game or something, WHO KNOWS? Razz
cuckoo
I don't know, consoles just seem to be quickly turning into computers... it's weird. Hopefully the "next generation" consoles will put people more into the game.
DecayClan
Just a few words...
They will be like computers, modified especially for gaming...Nothing more, nothing less... Even now, they are like low-budget gaming computers...
S i M p L e Question, With a SiMpLe answer... Don't get comfused... That is what will happen
QrafTee
cuckoo wrote:
I don't know, consoles just seem to be quickly turning into computers... it's weird. Hopefully the "next generation" consoles will put people more into the game.

I think you've just decribed the Wii vs. PS3/Xbox 360...

DecayClan wrote:
Just a few words...
They will be like computers, modified especially for gaming...Nothing more, nothing less... Even now, they are like low-budget gaming computers...
S i M p L e Question, With a SiMpLe answer... Don't get comfused... That is what will happen

Umm... yes they're low-budget compared to computers, but the fact is that consoles reached (and at one point exceeded) computers during the PS2-era in terms of raw power and graphics, but not anymore (Core 2 Extreme, anyone?) But I do prefer the computer over console games since computers have much less restrictions than consoles which is why I'm only getting a Wii because it's something I can do on console that I can't on the computer. (Also an ingenius way for Nintendo to prevent piracy onto computers as they need new hardware to make it happen) You'd be surprise how a high-end notebook PC will lag when trying to play an emulated GCN game, quite astonishing indeed.
william
Most people here state that the PC is far more powerful than consoles, and I agree. In the next generation, they might be able to put people into the game. What I think is that if Virtual reality is ever available, it'll be available on the PC first. It would require quite a bit of power to create virtual reality; more power than any console today (or even PCs) can offer today.
fuzzy91
Personally I think a topic like this is pointless considering we havn't got the PS3 or Wii yet.. But its here so i'll discuss it anyway..

The PS4, probally won't be named that, imo. If it had say 4 cell processors or what not, I think they'd for for the Playstation Quad. As for microsoft, I think they may totoally rename there next console, meaning no more XBOX.

As for nintendo, I think they're new console will be outdated rubbish as usual, maybe it'll have the power of the XBOX 360 which will be pretty naff in 5 years.

As for discs, considering Blu-ray and HD-DVD is the upcoming formats, in 5 years I HIGHLY doubt it'll be old. DVD has been around for along time now, and is still the main format for discs. Considering either Blu-ray or HD-DVD won't be a standard format for another few years I think that it'll be more standard for the next generation, as DVD was and is for last gen and dvds.

Though its more likely they will have newer Blu-Ray or HD-DVD techonology in 5 years, maybe we'll be playing 200GB Discs as standard. Though for now, 50GB (PS3's Blu-Ray) will me MILES more than enough for game devolopers, I would be suprised if they make a game to use that much space in 5 years, and if they do; damn it I can't wait to see what it's like.

~Fuzzy~
QrafTee
fuzzy91 wrote:
Personally I think a topic like this is pointless considering we havn't got the PS3 or Wii yet.. But its here so i'll discuss it anyway..

The PS4, probally won't be named that, imo. If it had say 4 cell processors or what not, I think they'd for for the Playstation Quad. As for microsoft, I think they may totoally rename there next console, meaning no more XBOX.

As for nintendo, I think they're new console will be outdated rubbish as usual, maybe it'll have the power of the XBOX 360 which will be pretty naff in 5 years.

As for discs, considering Blu-ray and HD-DVD is the upcoming formats, in 5 years I HIGHLY doubt it'll be old. DVD has been around for along time now, and is still the main format for discs. Considering either Blu-ray or HD-DVD won't be a standard format for another few years I think that it'll be more standard for the next generation, as DVD was and is for last gen and dvds.

Though its more likely they will have newer Blu-Ray or HD-DVD techonology in 5 years, maybe we'll be playing 200GB Discs as standard. Though for now, 50GB (PS3's Blu-Ray) will me MILES more than enough for game devolopers, I would be suprised if they make a game to use that much space in 5 years, and if they do; damn it I can't wait to see what it's like.

~Fuzzy~

Well Mr. Bad English, I disagree with you. The playstation could've already gotten a new title by the third installment (like Playstation Cell), but they didn't do that and called it 3, I think it will likely get the name PlayStation 4 or if they're really really creative, PlayStation IV.

The Xbox... that's a tricky one. I doubt it will continue the 360º thing (since it's supposed to be a revolution like the Wii's code-name), it's still a mystery... perhaps they should just called it HaloBox since that's the only good original game they got... in my opinion as well as many others over here in California.

The Nintendo... I still think a Nintendo Yu is still likely so they can easily tagline something like "The game is up to Yu" using u as a connected ii (it's been done on logos of other companies). And you say Nintendo consoles are outdates as if they always are. They weren't, just so you know. The GCN overpowered the PS2, but the medium was inferior as Nintendo has an obsession with anti-piracy.. and now the DVDs will be inferior to the Blu-rays, but it's not like people will be happy buying an HD-DVD attachment for the Xbox 360.

I believe with today's compression technology, 200GB would be more than enough and that might make games take much longer to develop. The Blu-ray/HD-DVD by 5 years SHOULD have a winner by then, but both companies (Microsoft and Sony) have said they'll back their format until the end, so yeah... but by the time of the next console, who knows?
Em_de_Tech
Not to be a pest, but i think that if Xbox or Playstation will pass into actual reality, i would stop playing. I mean, it'll soon be like another life jsut on a tv (or in a virtual zone reality chamber thing Very Happy ) It'll be like a second copy of your own life... so yeah...
Em_de_Tech
Don't get me wrong though, i would die without gaming. But i'm more of a PC kinda person.
william
Em_de_Tech wrote:
Not to be a pest, but i think that if Xbox or Playstation will pass into actual reality, i would stop playing. I mean, it'll soon be like another life jsut on a tv (or in a virtual zone reality chamber thing Very Happy ) It'll be like a second copy of your own life... so yeah...


Heh, but think, if it was actually like that, then you could live a "better" life. Very Happy
TRIAD
Somewhere along the line people stopped discussing next gen and got into a ps3 is better than xbox thing. Or a PCs better than anything.
Fact of the matter is, all formats have fans. No one console or format is better necesarilly, it just depends what the particular consumer is into.

The fact that people are discussing PS4 or XBOX 720 is absurd in itself, as we havnt even fully got 7th gen consoles yet. The fact that there are still individuals who take delight in saying "my consoles better than yours", need to grow up and just accept people like different things.

As for developement, the skys the damn limit. We have got so much more to come before virtual reality (a concept that was actually dropped years ago). People who think this is the next step for need a "reality check", and NOT a virtual one!
lazyboredom
F*** everything else
I say when we get the tech to do this we do it:
U touch the screen (unfortunetly this will Diminish the value for bots) And u go into moniter and u are actully in the game...
Thats still a long way away but still i think it would be cool
lazyboredom
TRIAD wrote:
Somewhere along the line people stopped discussing next gen and got into a ps3 is better than xbox thing. Or a PCs better than anything.
Fact of the matter is, all formats have fans. No one console or format is better necesarilly, it just depends what the particular consumer is into.

The fact that people are discussing PS4 or XBOX 720 is absurd in itself, as we havnt even fully got 7th gen consoles yet. The fact that there are still individuals who take delight in saying "my consoles better than yours", need to grow up and just accept people like different things.

As for developement, the skys the damn limit. We have got so much more to come before virtual reality (a concept that was actually dropped years ago). People who think this is the next step for need a "reality check", and NOT a virtual one!

They already have it for Aracnid phobia They use it for people that are scared of spiders
Which is Stupid if u ask me.....They know it isnt real Why are they scared it.....+ the bad Graphics so Far with VR and ummmm The Wii and the Xbox have came its called 2006? were u people in your closets?
Seiji
There probably will be newer consoles in the future but I'm done with them. PC Gaming is so much better and there are always newer graphics cards being released that can handle more extreme graphics. I don't think consoles can keep up.
gullip
Pioneer have just made a 400 gb blu ray disc. Maybe that will be the future. Or streaming the games online if we have high enough conenections.
enygmasoft
william wrote:
Xbox 360 came out last year and the Playstation 3 and the Nintendo Wii are on the way. I'm just wondering, in maybe five years or so we'll probably have new consoles out. So what do you think the Playstation 4 or any 8th generation console will be like?

Blu-ray and HD-DVD is new "next generation" technology, but by then, it'll probably be outdated. Next generation consoles may have a new format, or might not even use optical disks.

Anyway, what do you think the 8th generation consoles will be like?


That is the way of all tech toys, they always go out of style sooner or later.
Wuppie
I think they still use blu ray, because blu ray is not really popular yet, but in a few years it will be. I just don't see a new format coming to consoles in the next few years.
I think the services that the consoles provide will be better, online gameplay really improved and graphics again too, and I think the Artificial Intelligence will be a lot better in the next consoles.
Pikokola
there will be no PS 5, nor xbox 1440

before they comes, some people, wether it some middle east fanatic or new generation of bush, will start world war 4 which will wipe out all technology, then we will play using stick, rock and such things again Laughing Laughing Laughing

but I still hope, there will be goggle gaming controller or things that makes our mind can control the machine easily without moving our body ^^
Or maybe things that can absorb our soul to the game machine so we will venture inside it Razz (black out, and you die Laughing Laughing Laughing )
ptfrances
What is this crazy topic ? Laughing Laughing Laughing Very Happy
dickyzin
I think the basic VR is realistic for 8th generation games. I believe they will try to merge the game consoles with other technology we use daily. Like using the phone, controlling electrical devices like air-conditioners, garage doors, lighting in the house, intercom.. etc.
blk3
By the time the next generation of consoles comes out, Blue Ray may not be the media it would plays, remember every few years a new media is released, scientist won't stop at Blue Ray disc , they will always try to improve disc capacity much much more in the future. As for new consoles coming out, don't expect them to be coming out for a few more years. My extimate is that the current generation of consoles would still be played 5 or more years from now.
David_Pardy
Consoles will ultimately give way to Media Centre PCs.


But what I think people are forgetting are the following IMPORTANT details:


Complete 100% adaptation of HD and higher resolutions. Fallout 3 looks MUCH better on my powerful PC than it does on the Xbox 360, because I can run it at 1680x1050. Not to mention that current consoles suffer from frame rate problems.

In three years time, the 'mid range' graphics hardware should be somewhat equivalent to today's near high end graphics hardware.

Detailed graphics don't have so much to go before they reach their peak. More polygons will make very little difference. High resolution textures (requiring card with lots of memory) are the way of the future, along with more realistic physics and weather within games. Can you imagine if they started putting true 3D trees in games, with realistic winds and physics allowing the trees to sway in the wind realistically?

And another point is shadow realism. Shadows are one of the biggest FPS killers. Mix that with HDR and anti-aliasing, and you've suddenly got a lot of FPS going out the window. I'm fairly sure modern cards allow true HDR and AA at the moment.

And what about correctly modelled audio environments? As far as I know, EAX4, for example, doesn't allow 'mixed' environments, such as having a sound echo off a wall on your right, but fade into nothing through the empty air on your left. I don't know that much about EAX though so I might be a little behind the times Wink.


My point, for those too lazy to read all I've said, is that there is PLENTY of room for improvement. What happens if they bring out a new HD standard? HD is only a vertical resolution of 1080. Considering Windows has supported 4:3 resolutions of 2048x1536 for several years, it is entirely reasonable to expect that a higher HD resolution will be released within the next few years, for the 'hardcore' enthusiasts.
mexican
i heard they now have sunglasses for watching movies on it like u plug it in the system like iphone and play the movie and u can see them in the glasses if thats true i think games might be cool like that so when u twist ur head u can see in the game like it moving in real life and then some gloves that react to the games that ur playing that would be awsome
enygmasoft
The only guarantee is that HD will always go up. The only constant in anything is change
Related topics
My list of musics
xbox 360
PS3 vs Xbox 360
Favorite videogame systems
The Nintendo "Wii"
[news]Playstation 4 sin unidad de disco.
Playstation 4 Grill
PlayStation 3 se preparará para la llegada del 3D en juegos
What's the better controller? Ps3 or Xbox?
Best Old Games
Microsoft confirms new Xbox
Xbox One vs PS4
Thumbs down Xbox One .... hello Playstation4!
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Sports and Entertainment -> Games

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.