FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

GMail Drive

jayzee
GMail Drive is a Shell Namespace Extension that creates a virtual filesystem around your Google GMail account, allowing you to use GMail as a storage medium. GMail Drive creates a virtual filesystem on top of your Google GMail account and enables you to save and retrieve files stored on your GMail account directly from inside Windows Explorer. GMail Drive literally adds a new drive to your mycomputer area and then you can axcess tht file by providing your gmail id and password and can store files.

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/GMail-Drive-shell-extension-Download-15944.html
LukeakaDanish
Wow!

Thats a very cool piece of freeware for gmail users like me and you Smile

Installed and already using it!

[recomend]get it![/recomend]
PerArne
Amazing! Very Happy
japasco
Small application and works fine. But we must check if its a secure connection.

Regards,
dickyzin
Does the software just send the files as an attachment to your email address?
Can you also access other files that have been sent to you as attachment by someone else? Does it have a file size limit?
jayzee
no u just have to copy paste files and it has no size limit.
Da Rossa
Unfortunately it's unstable yet. Sometimes the transfers stop. But besides that... it's indeed amazing!
exarkun
I have used it before, but it was a complete failure. It can't seemed to connect to the server everything.
Jaan
Yes, for me too, but that was version 1.0, this is 1.010 Wink . Let's hope it works.
Xcelerate
I've seen that program before, but I've been afraid to use it because I didn't know if it was against Gmail's terms of service. Does anyone know?
varun_dodla
This piece of software sounds really amazing but can anyone who has used it tell about how is the speed coz i think it might depend on how u connect to the internet and like wht are the min requirements( like the connection speed ).
LukeakaDanish
There are no "min requeriments", but if you have a slow internet connection, then obviously it will transfer files slowly...

I doubt its against the terms of service - all it does is create emails on your gmail with the files attached...surely google wont mind that...
cheeta
when servicelink Xdrive is around... why use illigal Gmail drive Confused?

anyway Gmail drive has problem that no files can be bigger than 10MB
sky217
This was also done in linux fairly soon after Gmail came out. It was called gmailfs I believe.

http://richard.jones.name/google-hacks/gmail-filesystem/gmail-filesystem.html

It's a neat idea for an offsite backup solution.
toughtrio
Superb software. Thanx for lettin me know.
Well, does this have the limit of 10mb as someone already posted for it.

Warm Regards,
LukeakaDanish
toughtrio wrote:
Superb software. Thanx for lettin me know.
Well, does this have the limit of 10mb as someone already posted for it.

Warm Regards,

I just tested it, and there isnt such a limit as cheeta describes - I uploaded a larger (than 10mb) file and it worked fine!

Also i REALLY dont think its illegal...and I believe in the principle of "innocent until otherwise proven" Smile - anyway - why would google mind - all it does is create messages to yourself with your files attached - it doesnt "exploit" som "secret" loophole Smile
anathema
Amazing tool!!!!!!! Thanks!!!!
lukeropro
Wow! Xdrive has more storage space than gmail! Thx for the suggestion cheeta! 5GB of storage here I come!
Sita
It is really good feature.

Great idea but I have one suggestion for next release, if possible.
When I delete file from virtual drive (GMail Drive) it is deleting mail from mail box, even it is not available in Trash folder. If there is any mistake no chance to recover. If you keep it in Trash folder we can recover.
LukeakaDanish
Sita wrote:
It is really good feature.

Great idea but I have one suggestion for next release, if possible.
When I delete file from virtual drive (GMail Drive) it is deleting mail from mail box, even it is not available in Trash folder. If there is any mistake no chance to recover. If you keep it in Trash folder we can recover.

I think you should send that idea to the makes of gmail drive, rather than post it here - it seems VERY unlikely to me that he should be a frihost user Smile
VFisa
but is it legal? a heard that google is deleting this accounts for abuse.. Rolling Eyes
desertwind
Good but old info.
anathema
I think that a better tool is the GSpace addon for Mozilla Firefox

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1593/
rjaduthie
This sounds very interesting -

CAN YOU use the GDrive as a ftp equivalent, so as to upload files so they can be accessed remotely.

FOR EXAMPLE, if you would like to post a picture HERE on the FriHost forum - would one be able to use the GMail space for this end??

Let me know!

Rog
sky217
I don't think it would work as a place to host files that you want others to see unless you want to give them your email password. It's more of an offsite backup type thing.
caroline
sounds cool!
I have a few questions:
Does google yet you do something like this?
Are our passwords safe if we use it?
Do the creators of this software get access to our passwords or anything?
rjaduthie
Very nice I've now had a go at the beast, and it seems to be a nice little groover, as you say.

Does anyone know, however, of a webspace app. for GMail, which allows access exactly as if it is a webspace... in my previous post I mentioned the example of having pictures posted in forums such as this one, where the picture is based on the web.

If there is, let me know!!!!
suicidalsam
cheeta wrote:
when servicelink Xdrive is around... why use illigal Gmail drive Confused?

wow man its its just great.thanx for the infojavascript:emoticon('Wink')
Wink
tamilparks
I like the GMAIL drive its very easy and very fast ....... a very good space is here
engeland
wow. are you serious! im gonna try it now
sky217
rjaduthie wrote:
Does anyone know, however, of a webspace app. for GMail, which allows access exactly as if it is a webspace... in my previous post I mentioned the example of having pictures posted in forums such as this one, where the picture is based on the web.

I've never used it, but I know you can host pictures for other people to see on http://picasa.google.com. Not exactly an all-purpose file hosting service, but works pretty good for an online photo album.
psquared
GDrive, gmailFS, etc are all nice, but they are all very much so against the gmail TOS. Be careful guys, most people set up a seperate gmail account exclusively for use with their gdrive, as it could be cancelled at any time.
ganesh
Both GMail Drive and GSpace extension are very cool! They need to be used in different circumstances.

If you want an Explorer extension, then go in for GMail Drive.

If you want a Firefox extension, then go in for GSpace extension.

You will definitely not be disappointed! It is great and both of them deserve a try! I have both installed.
hellrahul
Do anybody know what is the concept used in this software......
tuncay
In my opinion, in the days where you can get a 1 GB usb drive for $15, this is bloody obsolete!
thatsashok
jayzee wrote:
GMail Drive is a Shell Namespace Extension that creates a virtual filesystem around your Google GMail account, allowing you to use GMail as a storage medium. GMail Drive creates a virtual filesystem on top of your Google GMail account and enables you to save and retrieve files stored on your GMail account directly from inside Windows Explorer. GMail Drive literally adds a new drive to your mycomputer area and then you can axcess tht file by providing your gmail id and password and can store files.

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/GMail-Drive-shell-extension-Download-15944.html

Yes, Its a very good software made for gmail users for online storage.

I am using it for a long time, and found it very ueful.
thatsashok
tuncay wrote:
In my opinion, in the days where you can get a 1 GB usb drive for $15, this is bloody obsolete!

Hmmm thats good but buddy this is online storage, your data is secured not crachable. Smile
Scoria
varun_dodla wrote:
This piece of software sounds really amazing but can anyone who has used it tell about how is the speed coz i think it might depend on how u connect to the internet and like wht are the min requirements( like the connection speed ).

Probly not
supermuu
Wow!

Thats a very cool piece of freeware
redice
Yes, it very good and I like it.

Gmail drive make a removeable disk just like a USB stick, but all the space is from my Gmail account. How nice to have such a good software.

google is the best.