FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

NTOSKRNL.EXE Missing

sunjay
Hi guys,

My computer wont boot. When I start it up, the mseeage saying that I have a missing NTOSKRNL.EXE file. This happened after I installed Vista Transformation pack.

I've done some research and I need to use the Recovery Console, but it asks me to enter my Administrator password. I know my password for my account which has all the administration rights, but it doesnt work. And I have no idea about the Administration account.

If anyone knows how to fix this problem, please let me know.

James
mOrpheuS
sunjay wrote:
Hi guys,

My computer wont boot. When I start it up, the mseeage saying that I have a missing NTOSKRNL.EXE file. This happened after I installed Vista Transformation pack.

I've done some research and I need to use the Recovery Console, but it asks me to enter my Administrator password. I know my password for my account which has all the administration rights, but it doesnt work. And I have no idea about the Administration account.

If anyone knows how to fix this problem, please let me know.

James

If you're unable to access the recovery console, you can always try putting the file back manually.

You'll find the compressed version of the required file at \i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ in your XP installation CD.

Expand it using command :
Code:
expand ntoskrnl.ex_ ntoskrnl.exe

Then just put this file into your windows\system32 directory.

p.s. - You can easily do all of this with a simple dos bootdisk Wink
sunjay
hi,

When recovery console asks for my password, I just press enter and then it gives me this thing C:\WINDOWS

I then typed expand D:\I386\ntoskenl.ex_C:\windows\system32
and it tells me that access is denied.

Why cant my user account password work even it has full previllage?

James
hellgod
because as u said its USER ADMIN pass.. not system admin.. the admin pass its askin is the one ugave during installation of windows.. try loggin on to safe mode.. thereul get the option 2 log on to that admin accn.. try givin some passwords u remember ther..
sunjay
Hey,

um... my computer doesnt have a floppy drive...

Is it possible to boot the computer in Linux and then use another computer on the network to access the computer and replace the file manually in C:\windoes\system32 ?

If that is possible, how do i do that.

I was thinking of using the Ubuntu Live CD.

James
p.s I really appreciate the help from users at frihost, thanks.
quartz
Linux has some problems with NTFS write support(i think you use Windows XP and NTFS). Maybe today linux has drivers for ntfs but i think it fill be litle bit hard to enable it. So there is some easier ways:

You can boot from Win2000 installation CD and go to recovery console. Then you may copy files you need, no passwords will be asked.

You can download ultimate boot CD(http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/), write it to CD and boot it. you will get acces to your drive and copy
Bones
Couple of different things can cause the pc to throw this error.
First I would boot to recovery console and run a chkdsk /r
This has maybe a 50% chance to fix it, but it is the least invasive and easiest fix, so that's why I would start with that one.

If that doesn't work, then from RC again, run bootcfg /rebuild
which will rebuild the boot.ini file.

When it asks to add an installation, select Yes. For load identifier Just type in something like Windows XP The identifier is only the text that appears on the multiboot menu.

For load options enter /fastdetect
Try rebooting the pc..if this still does not work, then you will need to replace the ntoskrnl.exe file as stated above...except...
You will want to rename the ntoskrnl.exe file that is currently in the system 32 folder before expanding the new one.

So from a c:\windows prompt (again in recovery console)
cd system32 <enter>
ren ntoskrnl.exe ntoskrnl.old <enter>
expand x:\I386\ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe <enter> - where x: is the drive letter of your cd/dvd drive that the XP disk is in

Hopefully one of these will fix the problem for ya
Also I noticed in your post that when you typed in the expand command, you left out the space between the _ and C:
noliver
If all of the above fails you can put your hard-drive in your friends PC as a slave. So your friends computer wil boot and then just copy your friends file over your corrupt one.
darween757
This file “NTOSKRNL” represents the executive and kernel layers of the windows Operating System and it is very essential for running windows. Varieties of processes which happen due to this file are memory management, hardware virtualization and even process implementation. So, once it becomes corrupted, it can hamper the operation of the system considerably.

Please read http://www.completepcpedia.com/ntoskrnl.html to cure this problem.

Good Luck
Marcuzzo
the OP posted this 6 years ago....
Ghost Rider103
-close-