FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Learning Java

magneto_ms
Where is the best place for learning Java on the web. I am talking about a newbie perpective. Where do u start off as a noobie..?
pollux1er
hi magneto, we have the same preoccupation for the moment. hope we will find out interesting things.
Satori
So I hope that this web site will be of help to the two of you:

www.w3schools.com

I have not as of yet learned javascript, but I am definitely intending to do so. This is the site that I learned html and css from (mainly at least) and I am soon going to be learning asp or psp as well as javascript from there. It's a great resource, so I hope it helps you guys out! Let me know if you learn anything there!
varun_dodla
Learning on the web has become very easy with google. You will find loads of stuff there. As far learning java is considered it is difficult to decide which one web site to choose. I suggest you first get equipped with JDK and an easy editor like TextPad and then u can learn java the best way that is by implementing. Start with simple programs.....get familiar with javadocs and u r on the go......
calvinchin
Hi there,

Thanks for the link... Wink

Java is easy to learn... yet tremendous effort to master... Sad
McMuffin
Satori wrote:
So I hope that this web site will be of help to the two of you:

www.w3schools.com

I have not as of yet learned javascript, but I am definitely intending to do so. This is the site that I learned html and css from (mainly at least) and I am soon going to be learning asp or psp as well as javascript from there. It's a great resource, so I hope it helps you guys out! Let me know if you learn anything there!

Javascript is NOT Java.
Javascript is a client-sided scripting language for in a browser.
Java is a multi-purpose programming language that can be run on any machine which has a Java Virtual Machine installed on it.
Though it is very common to embed Java applets in HTML documents.
magneto_ms
Hmm..i guess sun.java would be a good place to start off.

Also I hear that the 'Head First' Java series is good.

Just posting so that it would be of help to other fellow seekers.
Cassiowt
I had a look already in planning JAVA, C * and PHP, between this 3 that I found more was the PHP, of easy understanding, and the version 5 is totally opposite for direction the objects.

Obvious that others C * and Java they are mightier, but they apply for a much bigger dedication.
UHF123
Go here and download Bruce Eckel's online version of his book 'Thinking in Java'

http://www.mindview.net/Books/TIJ/

It's very well written and widely used.

Also download CodeGuide or which is a great IDE to learn Java with the 'on-the-fly' code compilation makes it easy to see your mistakes:

http://www.omnicore.com/registercodeguide.jsp
Jermore
these are very good thanks!
rooney
Thanks guys...right now I am sitting for an MBA e-business and I need help in JAVA
akshar
Quote:
hey try this links i m sure u will be satisfied

www.javaworld.com
www.universalteacher.com

all the best
akshar
Learning curve of java is very steep so so no matter which book u refer u r going to find it weird and difficult but once you grasp the fundamentals u will realise the beuty of JAVA

I suggest u try

Thinking in JAVA book which is available for free on net. Just google
pollux1er
Thanks very mry much for the link, but if you also have links for courses in french do not hesitate to post them. Because i think they can be good link in.
marioflory
I can only recommend the mindview / bruceeckel books.. you can download them... and the examples are cuite useful and easy...

I just bought the TIJ book paperback.

Enjoy.
discountcontacts
is java actually useful in the corporate world? im thinking about learning to further my career opportunities.
marioflory
Yeah absolutely useful... it is a language with a neat concept, so you understand how things work and how to think in a programming language. If you prefer other languages like C# or Phyton doesn't really matter.... I think to start Java would be a great idea and offer lots of possibilities. But maybe you like another language too, then switching is easy when you started with java.
Star Wars Fanatic
java.sun is an exellent resource, it contains all the Classes in Java. Very useful.
pollux1er
No doubt! java.sun.com is the main important site to consult. But... There is a but.
Star Wars Fanatic
Well yea, it doesn't provide very good examples, it is just a reference of all the Classes in Java. The ones that come with JDK anyway. You really should have someone teaching you who you can ask questions and such.
pollux1er
Star Wars Fanatic wrote:
Well yea, it doesn't provide very good examples, it is just a reference of all the Classes in Java. The ones that come with JDK anyway. You really should have someone teaching you who you can ask questions and such.

Don't hesitate if you can help us by providing us better links Wink
Star Wars Fanatic
Here are some tips and things, http://java.sun.com/developer/TechTips/index.html and I will look for someother place with good tutorials to starting Java.
pollux1er
Star Wars Fanatic wrote:
Here are some tips and things, http://java.sun.com/developer/TechTips/index.html and I will look for someother place with good tutorials to starting Java.

If we assume I am a beginner, which is the case, the link you sent is not very good at all. In fact, I am a beginner. And the wrst : I'm french. No matter to read in english but if it's not for beginners... I'll be lost. Wink
fedex220
I went to the W3 schools website. And, it is quite difficult.. for me. I totally new to the whole HTML and Javascript, But, Im looking for a website that has some java stuff already built and i just put it in the site. Any one have any of those. Between schoolwork and other things i just dont have enough time to do all of the things that i want with Java, Thanks.
Star Wars Fanatic
fedex220 wrote:
I went to the W3 schools website. And, it is quite difficult.. for me. I totally new to the whole HTML and Javascript, But, Im looking for a website that has some java stuff already built and i just put it in the site. Any one have any of those. Between schoolwork and other things i just dont have enough time to do all of the things that i want with Java, Thanks.

Well W3 has Javascript, but not Java, Java and Javasript are completely different. If you want ready made Javasript, you can that on tons of sites, what you won't find is ready made Java programs.
rano
If you have learned the language basics (syntax, function calls, objects, primitive variables, arrays, threads and so on) than you can start to create some GUIs and experiment...

From my experience the most convenient online source
to start learning GUI programming in Java is - http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/uiswing/TOC.html
marcmgeronimo
I learned java by myself through reading Sun's own tutorial plus some other books and online resources. It was easy for me because I have been using C and C++ even before I tried Java. You just have to learn the languages basic syntax or generally the form of how to do programming. J2EE is just an extension of java so it wasn't hard for me to move up on to it. So now, I am doing Java programming for a living (although I am starting to handle teams now).
mukesh.cv19@gmail.com
lots of java e books

Arrow http://e-books.amagrammer.net/Java/