FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Google Search bar Location

NjRocket
hey guys, i want to implement a google search box on my site, any suggestions where should place them?

www.sportschatter.frih.net
eruct
I forget where I saw this but I stumbled across a page that did research into where visitors of a site expect to find certain things and generally speaking people expect the search box to be somewhere near the upper right on a page. So, that is where I think you should put it, right on top of the banner even.

I had some free time on my hands so I made a little mockup for ya Very Happy

But, you could also move your navigation down a little and put it above that but as you can see things get a little tight.

Also, I know you didn't ask about it, but I think that your site could benefit from a drop shadow added to the sides of the main content area as seen in the top image. It just helps to seperate it from that background grey a little bit.

NjRocket
eruct wrote:

Also, I know you didn't ask about it, but I think that your site could benefit from a drop shadow added to the sides of the main content area as seen in the top image. It just helps to seperate it from that background grey a little bit.

yea that looks alot nicer, um hmm, how do i do that Embarassed lol. Please explain, thanks.