FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

If You Were a Businessman...

Soltair
What kind of business would you be running, and why?

Personnally I think I'd go in the energy sector, something with clean energies, wether solar, wind, hydraulic powers or new fuels such as hydrogen, and run that along with research facilities to try to improve the product and the technologies. Might sound a bit idealistic, but the energy sector is constantly growing more important, and greater modern environmental care leads to a lot of investement in clean energies sector, especially wind power.

So, and you?
coreymanshack
I would be in the entertainment business. More and more people everyday are looking for new ways to entertain themselves, with some of the latest movies and/or video games. I think it would be an interesting thing to be into.
fx-trading-education
Even if I wouldn't to it, it would be better, rather to invest in "current hot subjects", to invest in fields where you are sure that the demand will increase for many years and that don't sound so attractive for the common people.

death: there are more and more people on earth, so there will be more and more dead and in average people get richer. So business around death is definitely a good one (even if not sounding very nice)

care for old people: as above more and more old people that are richer than before...

psychological help: now that people have free time and more money, they have psychological problems. Also every time they is a disaster there is a lot of psychological help needed.

Disasters: they are also both increasing, so all businesses in this area should be good.

It doesn't sound a very attractive picture, but a lot of people are already making business in these fields.
Meggsy
I reckon mergers and acquisitions. Taking over companies that have gone broke and building them back up again before selling them off. Maybe I only want to do this because I like Thomas Crown Affair and that is what he does (besides steal paintings) for a job.
shaggly
To me, I would have to take a cynical approach to answering this question and say "whatever current industry that happens to be the one attracting all the money". I appreciate that this isn't in line with the romantic nature of the question, but it's the most honest answer that I have to it Smile
CanadianGeek
I'd likely run a call center. The call center industry where I live is explosively popular. In fact, I write this while I'm in the call center, not taking all that many calls since it's Labour Day. A majority of the jobs where I live are in call centers, and call centers tend to be huge (although mine numbers only about 50 employees).
maclui
Agricultural Business, food for everyone high quality low price. That will also give the oportunity to help the hungry with free food.
risuarez
I would like to start a financial institution. Actually here in my country we are having an strong growth of revenues for financial insitution such as commercial banks and micro-financiers. Of course I will need a big start-up capital to get into this industry. You can't open a bank with 100 bugs you know!
NemoySpruce
I would start a religion based on science, then charge people high fees for absurd seminars and..oh wait....
Meggsy
To further that call center idea, I work in one too for an ISP. I believe that my employer would make a killing if he had a phone number that charged 50cents per minute or something similar.
risuarez
NemoySpruce wrote:
I would start a religion based on science, then charge people high fees for absurd seminars and..oh wait....

Laughing Laughing That would be great! You will have many Tom cruise's paying you a lot of money!
suntzu3500
Building nuclear power plants in southeast asia - korea, japan, and taiwan... Lot of money to be made there.
TrueFact
I would build a IT training center to train people (guess what) for low prices... cuz in Egypt IT market is getting larger everyday but they still doing it the old way. All the software for example somehow just copies from each other and they are all envolve the same subjects. That's why but the problem is how not why.
risuarez
TrueFact wrote:
I would build a IT training center to train people (guess what) for low prices... cuz in Egypt IT market is getting larger everyday but they still doing it the old way. All the software for example somehow just copies from each other and they are all envolve the same subjects. That's why but the problem is how not why.

I am curious, could you give us an estimate of how much money would you need to start-up a business like that in Egypt?
saveexclusive
Interesting enough, my major is business mgt. With this knowledge I am gaining, I am currently in the process of launching my own business. I am creating an ecommerce website. Hopefully, after incoporating and doing some more research on taxation, the website wil be up and running. So for all you sneaker fans...be alert for my sneaker website...you guys wont be dissapointed. High quality at an extremely low price...saveexclusive style!!!

saveexclusive.frih.net
risuarez
saveexclusive wrote:
Interesting enough, my major is business mgt. With this knowledge I am gaining, I am currently in the process of launching my own business. I am creating an ecommerce website. Hopefully, after incoporating and doing some more research on taxation, the website wil be up and running. So for all you sneaker fans...be alert for my sneaker website...you guys wont be dissapointed. High quality at an extremely low price...saveexclusive style!!!

saveexclusive.frih.net

And what are you going to sell?
jasmine
I would build my own computer related company. Being the computer and internet geek that I am, I think that is understandable. LOL
TunaFro
I would do a a advertisment or entertanment buisness. They are probobly the most fun and exciting buisnesses out there also you can really see who is buying your products by just going to the locl grocery store to look at teh new magazines and such.
-Tuna
venkateshwarans
I like coding and computers. It shall be the latest in the trends of computers. I have interests in retailing and textiles. Out of my reach though.
risuarez
venkateshwarans wrote:
I like coding and computers. It shall be the latest in the trends of computers. I have interests in retailing and textiles. Out of my reach though.

Well! you know that one of the required attitute of a succesfull business man is to know that nothing is out of your reach!!!
TrueFact
well risuarez the total costs will reach the 2 Million Egyptian Pounds including but not limited to Land and construction costs, Equipments and the first month salaries for the workers, engineers and the rest of the stuff
discountcontacts
I think my path towards business success would be to start off by finding my niche in venture capital then gradually turn my business into a conglomerate. I think right now we are in a stage of history where scientific and technological rate of advancement is becoming so exponential it is unimaginable. Eventually, a new technology would like the latest blockbuster- nothing special. Perhaps i could try my hand in biotechnology- nanotechnology. I recently read an article about the discovery of a frog's excretion that is non poisonous and a very potent adhesive. It has the potential to be used for medical purposes such as the relief of bleeding. I think business lies in something like that. You find some sort of technology that is already used in nature, and develop it into something useful for humans. Perhaps I could take advantage of china's rapid boom and start something there.

After I make my first bucket of gold, I will probably start to diversify my business into less risky ventures and rise from there.
Tiger
Soltair wrote:
What kind of business would you be running, and why?
Personnally I think I'd go in the energy sector, something with clean energies, wether solar, wind, hydraulic powers or new fuels such as hydrogen, and run that along with research facilities to try to improve the product and the technologies. Might sound a bit idealistic, but the energy sector is constantly growing more important, and greater modern environmental care leads to a lot of investement in clean energies sector, especially wind power.
So, and you?

Nice one, Soltair! I've been interested in alternate power sources myself for some time. Things like ethanol and bio-diesel are pretty cool.

I have started my own business before in IT, but I it closed when I went overseas for a few years. Now I have just started my own business again, providing IT support services, including on-site training and so on.

It's not as difficult as people think if you have the knowledge. You don't have to register a company or incorporate at the begining - you can work as a sole trader. Import-export is also a field that I am interested in, and I plan to look into that more seriously later on this year.

If anyone here wants to start their own business, I'd like to encourage them to do so! As I've said, I have done it before and I've just started again, and while it's not the easiest thing to do, it's definitely worth it.

My uncle has also started his own business after working for an international company for over 20 years and he confirms that nothing beats it!
sonalobramo
Robotics.
Right now it does not really sound like a money maker but just wait 10-20 years.
sumangurung
i would love to start a community site and later use it for business after having many regular visitors. I do feel that this is one idea that has already been used but i think the potential is still there. With more people spending more time in the internet, internet business is going to grow.
I think multimedia through interenet is going to be a big thing in the next 20 years. If i had the cash then there are a lot of stuffs that i want to do but rite now i have to get back to my old job!!
sketteksalfa
I want to be engaged in gaming community. I want to build a computer hub and promote a game competition where everyone or any teams can participate. I also want to promote our countries top gamers and send them officially to world competitions.
cgaclub
if i were a business man i would invest my money in IT sector...
i think its a fast growing business.......
since the use of computer in increasing in rapid numbers all over the world i think investing in this sector will not cause me a great loss...
so i think i will invest in IT secotr....
who knows "may be someday i'll be rich like Bill Gates...." Very Happy

if not IT then i will invest in comunication secor i.e telecommunication....
its also a fruitful sector i guess...
robbinsjd
WHEN I become a businessman, I plan on building new custom homes. There is always a strong market for custom homes. Custom home builders can make a lot more money compared to building and selling cookie-cutter homes. Either that or I plan on developing neighborhoods and have a monopoly in that neighborhood for building homes, make it all nice like and make people want to pay a lot to live there. My dad builds custom houses so I am learning from him and I am majoring in Business Management and minoring in marketing.
koke01
I wouldn't become a buisinessman. Iīm not that good with all the things you need to do to have a good buisiness. IF I would, it probably be something related with technology.
hunterm
I think the original poster has the right idea. Green energy is going to real big business. You can see the move towards it in the UK now. The key is to finding out where to make the money is (as well as help saving the environment off course)
gnllr
I've started a real estate investment business but I'd also like to start a business with my wife. She's a great business thinker and detail person. Plus, we'd be able to spend more time together (this can also be a pain at times too Very Happy ).

Don't know what the business would be, we thought of operating retreat centers or something like that outdoors.