FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Who is your favourite detective?

ryukenden
I have watched many detective films and series. My favourites are Sherlock Holmes, Columbo, and CSI.

I have read Sherlock Holmes detective stories both in my language and English a few times. Of the stories, "A study in Scarlet" , "The Hound of the Baskervilles ", and "The Sign of Four " are my favourite.

Columbo detective series is also quite entertainable. It is quite extraordinary from other detective stories as we know who comit the crime (eg. murderer) from the beginning and Columbo will deduct from the facts he gathered to finally put the murderer under arrest.

CSI is mordern series and "viva las vegs" and "Crow's feet" are very nice. I got the dvds of columbo and CSI series.

For me, I think Columbo is the best as it is extraordinary to other detective stories and also quite entertainable because of Peter Folk as Columbo. He suited Columbo very much.
ChaosMike
My mom loves those shows, and I hate most of them.

However, Columbo has this appeal to me that separates itself from the rest. Columbo is enjoyable to watch how he slowly figures out that the murderer is indeed the murderer. This is the only show I am willing to watch out of most of the genre Cool
Lusiphur
For pure entertainment it has to be "Monk"

One of the funniest detective shows on TV at the moment, watching someone that anal about cleanliness (sp?) at the scene of a crime, or being knocked into a bin, is just fantastic.

It's hard to argue with the wonderful Sherlock Holmes though, Doyles books are fantastic and the recurring villians (M) are truley memorable, favourite book being Hound of the Baskervilles (how orignal ehh...)
HoboPelican
Of current shows, Monk is my favorite. Although, it's starting to get a little silly, it still prefer it to any of the CSIs, Psych or what not...

Of old shows, I think I liked Rockford a lot...sort of an everyman PI. Made mistakes, got beat up, etc...Could relate to the character.

Hmm, does Emily Deschanel's character in "Bones" count? I like her, but it isn't completely because of her deductive skills...
comonsaree
eah I would have to go with Monk too because its also funny, so it combines fun with crime solving which in my opinion has a great success. And what can I say Tony Shalhoub plays the role incredibly well, I don't think I could immagine some other actor playing the part.

Thumbs up for Monk Cool
Lusiphur
Bones is a solid show, You watched any of Numb3rs? It's not to bad, interesting twist on the detective show.

There is only one acter I could see played monk, Eugene Levey (dad from American Pie), I think he would look perfect, and he is a damn good comedy actor.
HDirtwater
I enjoy Monk for a current detective.

As for old-timers, Rockford, Simon & Simon, and my all time favorite Hercule Poirot (Agatha Christie). I like the Peter Ustinov version of Poirot the best.
kikass
of the current shows i really like the monk and numbers... yeah numbers is a very very different kinda show.. though at times it does seem to be stretching the maths logic a bit too far... it is enjoyable nonetheless....
of the classics... no one comes close to sherlock holmes.. it just kills you everytime when holmes describes how simple his 'deductions' are Embarassed damn!
nondormo
I used to watch the following TV detectives:

Ellery Queen
    Magnum PI
    Remington Steele
    Nancy Drew
    Hardy Boys
    Colombo

I liked all of them.
Ludo Lambrechts
My favourite detectives are Chief Inspector Jacques Clouseau (Pink Panther) and Frank Drebin from Police Squad (Naked Gun).

Ludo Lambrechts Cool
angelussum
Hmm, this is a hard one. I don't think they do enough actual classic detective shows these days. Most now are modernized, which is fine, but it would be funny to see someone in the whole sherlock costume!
zanzou
Agatha Christie's poirot is, without a doubt, my favorite detective. XD I've always loved the huge reveal at the end, and though I haven't liked all the actors who have played him over the years, I still think his character is both awesome and brilliant-- just like any good detective should be. :D
Shewolf
Jack Frost, Morse and Midsummer Murders are all great series. They are never repeating themselves, and have strong caracters making the stories more worth watching Smile
QrafTee
ryukenden wrote:
I have watched many detective films and series. My favourites are Sherlock Holmes, Columbo, and CSI.

I have read Sherlock Holmes detective stories both in my language and English a few times. Of the stories, "A study in Scarlet" , "The Hound of the Baskervilles ", and "The Sign of Four " are my favourite.

Columbo detective series is also quite entertainable. It is quite extraordinary from other detective stories as we know who comit the crime (eg. murderer) from the beginning and Columbo will deduct from the facts he gathered to finally put the murderer under arrest.

CSI is mordern series and "viva las vegs" and "Crow's feet" are very nice. I got the dvds of columbo and CSI series.

For me, I think Columbo is the best as it is extraordinary to other detective stories and also quite entertainable because of Peter Folk as Columbo. He suited Columbo very much.

Umm... Data posing as Sherlock Holmes from Star Treak: Next Generation. He cheats and always knows the answer because he's an android who basically knows everything other than why he knows everything so easily.
chrismen
I watched Boondock Saints again the other day and the gay guy is so awesome.
parokya
I used to like Robert Blake in Baretta -- the small guy with the big heart. I liked the background music too. There was also another detective series starring Stephanie Zimbalist called Remington Steele. It is about a woman who wanted to be a detective but because of her femininity, she had to hire an actor (played by Pierce Brosnan) to play the part of Remington Steele while she herself did the detective work. I liked the funny situations in which these two characters found themselves in: the one playing the front for Remington Steele, the other actually doing the work of Remington Steele.

Of course, Colombo was a great series too. Among the new batch of detective series, Numb3rs is intriguing. I never thought that math could play a role in detection. For me, that is a big plus. CSI (all three of them) is also enjoyable. And it makes you think.
mic79
Columbo was so entertaining.I found it humourous in the way he used turn the main suspect into a psychological wreck with his mind games. Leaving for the front door only to track back with another question springs to mind
dezzinea
I like Jason Gideon, the profiler of 'Criminal Minds'. Does anyone agree with me?

ciao
talonsmallville
Hi People,

I´so fan about detectives too.

Loved Grisson and all CSI´s - liked Gideon too, Vicent D´nofrio of Law and Order and Elliot too.

I liked that way that CSI´s resolve those crimes - I loved all CSI´s but Grisson is my favorite of course.
Manofgames
Inspector Gadget!!! Very Happy

No, i dont really like inspector gadget, clueso is quite funny.

prefer to read detective stories though.

more involved
mackhenry
one and only sherlock holmes Laughing
ftasyo
nondormo wrote:
I used to watch the following TV detectives:

Ellery Queen
    Magnum PI
    Remington Steele
    Nancy Drew
    Hardy Boys
    Colombo

I liked all of them.

That's a good list. I would add Barreta and Marlowe.
altmana
i vote for Veronica Mars.... and anyone who likes nancy drew should check out her show. it is part Buffy and part mystery and overall a very very good show.
endure
Wasn't there a similar thread about the same subject?

hmmz anyway, I like Monk alot, can't get enough of his show and his great acting skills.
rfarrand
ha ha ha...not sure if this should be catorgorized as a detective but i vote for jack bauer. that guy is amazing. looking forward to the new season!
LYL*
Oh I just "Monk" and I'm starting to like Psych too.
The Medium detectives are good too.
But not can't stand Monk!
Dean_The_Great
Yeah, Sherlock may be the man, but Veronica Mars is the woman!

I don't know how many people have seen this show, but it's called Veronica Mars and it airs Monday Nights. It's a fantastic detective show, and it's all about Veronica working for her father (who's a P.I), and solving the crimes involving those her age in an OC type society to which she doesn't truly belong as she is in the struggling middle class.

Great show, I highly recommend it.
MYP415
I'd have to go with monk and psych. Both are very unordinary people who have a very gifted talent. If you count Gregory House as a detective then he'd be up their too.
Rico
Columbo – I like the way he makes the perps think that he’s a total moron and then he catches them with their own craftiness. Gotta love the guy. And his car – really cool.
ashok
Doyle's Sherlock Smile
KoiboySG1
Clark kent from smallville Very Happy

Not a real detective but a verry good one.