FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

help with my computer start up problem

ryukenden
Hi
I got a computer desktop with mother board "Mercury KOB 730s FSMx " AMD processor 1 gig, RAM 496 and windows xp installed. Recently computer has problem with starting up. Whenever I start the computer, windows xp will run and start up for a few minutes for about 1-2 minutes. Then suddenly computer stopped and power switch off. Then I have to go through the above about at least 5-7 times to get stable state. I could not switch off the computer during day time as I don't want to go through the above. So I just switch off my monitor and come back in afternoon back to my computer.

I thought my 40 gig hard disk is problematic. I changed it to 160 GB. And I have reinstalled the windows Xp a few times without any success. I have defrangmented my computer and do check disk every few days.
I clean up my hard disk regularly. I got AntiVir antivirus software and Zonelab firewall.

Please advise me what to do with my computer so that I could switch off my computer during daytime when I am working.
Saber
my first thought is that it could be over heating.. but then reading the rest I dont know. But it still could be over heating.
Jaan
I really dunno. You could try reformatting Rolling Eyes though its probably a hardware problem. Download a system viewer or w/e that tells you the temperature and stuff, and fool with that. Try booting safe mode (f8 during startup).
Cheers,
Jaan
Donutey
yea sounds like a hardware problem, Use Motherboard Monitor 5 to see if anything is overheating. Also, make sure the reset and power switch headers are properly seated on the motherboard, I had a problem with sporadic reboots only to find that the reset header/cable wasn't seated all the way.
yjwong
It is probably not a sign of overheating. Computers won't get hot so quickly. I suspect it is the problem with your Power Supply Unit. Your PSU might ba close to its end of its life span, so I suggest replacing it. Fore more information on how to replace your PSU, please consult your computer technician.