FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Who is the best Pele or Zinedine Zidane?

ryukenden
Who is the better player? Pele or Zinedine Zidane.

Pele is a scorer of 1,283 first-class goals - 12 of them in World Cup finals and he won world cup in 1958, 1962 and 1970.

His number 10 shirt has become traditional among creative attacking midfielders and forwards, and many of great football players have since worn it.

Zinedine Zidane is as you know very tactiful player with beautiful techniques. He won 1998 world cup with two headed goals against Brazil that won France's first ever FIFA World Cup title.

Zidane was elected FIFA World Player of the Year three times (1998, 2000, 2003) and was European Footballer of the Year in 1998.

He helped Real Madrid to win UEFA champion league with his beautiful strike that helped the Real beat Bayer Leverkusen 2-1 to win the Champions League.

So what is your opinion, who is better player Pele or Zidane.
magneto_ms
I haven't seen much of Pele. But Zidane's style of play and touch on the ball is pure eye candy.
Ludo Lambrechts
For me Pele way better than Zidane. Pele had class and a great style of playing, I find Zidane arrogant in every way even though he is a great soccer player.

Ludo :tml:
d4rch
I find Zidane better than Pele. On one hand, with his particular style : he can do what he wants with a ball. It looks easy to play football when you see him...
On the other hand, Pele was of course a very good player. But he had not the same role. His role was to score. Zidane's role was to make the game for his partner. It's less restrictive...

So advantage Zizou ! Moreover I'm french so... Zizou forever Laughing
Sava
Zidane is a very good player but he is kinda easy to annoy. Have you seen what he has done this world championship in the game with Italy ?
To bad he ruines his image with these kind of stuff.
Pele is a legend and his name will always be said by kids playing football.
Anyway ... the best player of the moment is ronaldinho and I think he is just starting
poiko123
The title should be "who is better" not "who is best", because of Maradona Wink
but out of those two...i would have to say Zidane is probably better, but Pele was better considering his time. Zidane has much more competition now days then Pele did, but Pele grew up in a poor Brazilian village. I would say Pele is much more of a pure soccer player than Zidane, but Zidane is trained very very well. I think it just depends on what criteria you use...
shun
Yea, if you're asking who is "better", I will say I can't tell because I've never seen Pele play. I've heard a lot about his legend, but still I can't conclude that he's better than Zidane by just looking at his record, or what other people say about him. However, if you're asking who's the best, I guess there are many candidates out there other than these two, though both Zidane and Pele are probably the greatest in the soccer history. I'm just wondering does anyone have any video clip of Pele, becuase I really want to see.
skynet
hmm.. we can't compare each to other, because:
a. they didn't play in the same position.
b. they didn't play in the same time..

Thet's why we can't compare those 2 great players.
GameFreak
Though you can't compare them as skynet rightly said as they played in different positions and played in differemt times, I think that Pele is a much superior footballer than Zidane. Both are brilliant, but Pele is better.
2nProductions
You can't compare PELE with Zidane, though I love to see Zidane play, these guys are both from different generations, if you are going to compare Zidane compare him to Platini or Deschamps or maybe the Brazillian Ronaldo. Now Ribery will be the sucessor of Zidane, though Zidane will be missed. If not Ribery then Samir Nasri.
Svarn
Pele didn't go out with a headbutt, that is for sure!
Leptitpoucet
We can't compare Zidane to Pele.
They did'nt play at the same time.
Playing football was totaly different at Pele's time than it's today.
At the time the main issue in footbal was to score, today the main issues is to defend.

So I would'nt compare two giants of football's history
talinart
i second that opinion .. both are legends

but , Zidan rules Razz
agustin
I think Zinedin is better than Pele. Is a mess that he dont play any more!
s6010005
hard desicion.both are legends.although i have seen pele only from tapes i think he is better
coozy
I think Zinedine Zidane. Surprised
Alienz
For me, Zinedine Zidane is the best Smile
blendbet
"I haven't seen much of Pele. But Zidane's style of play and touch on the ball is pure eye candy."

100% i agree
Dragonfly
I haven't seen any video footage of Pele's playing football. It will be difficult to compare these two. I cannot therefore comment on this.

The bestfootballer of all time for me is Maradona!
learneasy
Pele was a really good player. First class of course. But as I am a French citizen although i am a french citizen, so in my opinions Zidane will always be my favourite. Plus he was a true player of his day. Pele was against weaker opposition as Footie was newer in those days and football teams were less developed.
todofecav
I think that for bullfighting, Zidane. For playing a football Pele. :p

Zidane has been the best player during 90s but his last match was very sad for him and for all people like football.
ashok
We can't compare Zidane to Pele. They did'nt play at the same time. The times have changed. At the time the main issue in footbal was to score, today the main issues is to defend.

So it's not like who's the best. we cant compare like that!
everyman
poiko123 wrote:
The title should be "who is better" not "who is best", because of Maradona Wink

Exactly my words Very Happy

But in the battle Pele vs. Zizuo, I'd select Pele. Pele didn't have "a dark side".
Ucbet
Both of them are have different role. I guess we should compare Maradona with Pele since both of them are created to scores and not a playmaker like Zidane.

So my verdict :

Playmaking - Zidane

Goal Scoring - Pele

Laughing
mattchun
Neither.
I think KaKa will be the best ever, you will see after 5 years!
arandanos
You can discuss to know who is the best, but you are wrong because the better of the all time is "The TEN" Diego Armando Maradona
carlospro7
I hate questions like this, simply because you can't compare two great soccer players like zidane and pele. They both had different styles. you just cant compare and people's opinions wont make one or the other better.
amusic
Zidane is the best ever. His skill and style are really amazing....
Xcelerate
Pele because he is just amazing. he will be passed tho not sure by who. but players not in just soccer but every sport get better as time goes on. look at babe ruth, roger marris, hank aaron. they r good yes but they wouldnt stand now against the pitchers. nobody threw in the 90s and 100s back then.
Arseniy
Zinedine Zidane is best! His style is amazing and goalscoring is on top. If Pele was playing now, he maybe was better than Zizu. But Pele is from 70... SO...
engeland
Aside from all zinedine's triumphs, he did get a red card in the final minutes of the recent world cup. That is something not alot of great players get.

So i think zidane is MORE ACHIEVED. Can't say he's better than Pele coz then there would be too many factors to consider Wink
Arseniy
Zidane was angry for Materazzi, who cursed him. So I think if you was Zidane you did the same.
Dragonfly
Not Pele nor Zinedine Zidane, but Maradona is the best player of all time. Very Happy Of course Zidane is among the great footballer of all time but he doesn't come close to Maradona.
vandetta
Sava wrote:
Zidane is a very good player but he is kinda easy to annoy. Have you seen what he has done this world championship in the game with Italy ?
Anyway ... the best player of the moment is ronaldinho and I think he is just starting

You cannot said that, I think I might also do the same thing when someone says something bad about my family, let say, if someone says something bad to your family, will you stay smiling at him? He's done something a man should do, protect their family's honour.

As for who is better, I never see Pele play, but he i surely great because can score more than 1000 goals! I also like to see Zidane when he play football, he is a very good playmaker, he can do anything with the ballwhen he touch it.

They're in different position so I could not compare who's better.
Hoogeveense RAT
I have Pele never seen, so I cannot rate him. Zidane is in my opinion not the best player I have ever seen, so I think there are better players than him.
agustin
You cant compare Pele with Zinedin Zidane. Is just uncompared. Both are very good players but Pele is better. Much better!
web_harman
No compasrison betweeen the two....
pele was a thing of past

zidane is the present..

we cant compatre the twoo

things were different,

enviroment was diferen.t
Hoogeveense RAT
web_harman wrote:
No compasrison betweeen the two....
pele was a thing of past

zidane is the present..

we cant compatre the twoo

things were different,

enviroment was diferen.t

I agree with you, it's really difficult to compare these with each other because in the 60s and 70s was everything different than now.
slchap5
Pele by far. No chance for Zidane even though he is a good player.
gaurav.baral1
i think Zidene is far more better than pele..when we compare soccer how it was played during peles era and now;its very different..i feel
at that time soccer was far physical than technical.and in that matter pele was great...but now its totally tehnical and in this zidene is awesome( i dont mean pele is dump)...
but for missing to score a goal i'll surely go for pele..
Peterssidan
I haven't seen Pele that much but I think he was good for his time. Today there is so many good players so I don't think Pele would be the big star if he played now. I'm not sure if zidane would come to his right in Pele's time eather... maby.. Anyway I think zidane is the best player of those. Shocked
dor_segal
absolutely Pele.
Pele was everything. He do everything on the field, he was fastest than everyone else and he just was better than all of the players in his period.
In adition, he was amazing scorer. players didn't succeed to stop him.
In the other side, Zidan, is very good player but limited in his skills.
He can play only in one position and players can stop him.
Of course it's very hard to compare them, because they played on other positions and period of time, but Pele was bigger.
jon9314
hunnuh
Zidane is the best ever. His skill and style are really amazing....
Fake
Quite obviously Pele is better.Another way to compare them is to think how many people from Pele's era can be counted in the same league?
Where as Figo and Beckham were always challengers to Zidane.
josel7u1host
Pele is the best player of all times!
I think Pele was better than Maradona his had a dribbling that even in these days no other player in the world has he was know as the inventor of the "bycicle" in soccer terms.
He was a playmaker better than Zidane i don't know why some people try to compere Pele with Zidane neither with Maradona who is the second best and Zidane could be the third if not Ronaldino.
Did you know that Pele is the only player in history who kick a goal from goal to goal. i don't think Maradona or Zidane ever did that.
One time he dribbled players from his own defense to the opponents defense and kick a goal too but many people remember more Maradona dribbling the one who make a goal with his own hand in the world soccer champinship in 1986.
And to finish, if Pele were playing now i think he will be better then any of the best players who are playing now even Ronaldino, Cristiano Ronaldo, Ronaldo of Brasil or Messi. Very Happy
Gilgamesh
Pele didn't invented the bycicle. The first known player who did this kind of shot was Leonidas. But even he, who played in 30's said he saw a Chilean doing it.

And there is no way to compare Zidane with Pele.

Pele played in the field, in EVERY position. He acted as defense, wing, midfield, attacker.
Did you know that pele even, in 4 ou 5 games, played as goalkeeper (cause one of his companions got the red card), and never took a goal is his nets?
Pele was a complete player, he was good defending, and a unreal attacker. Pele stopped a war in Africa, cause the chiefs wanted to see him play, so they agree a stop for the time pele was playing.
Zidane began to play good only when he got older, more than 23 years.
Pele played the same way, and the more time, the better he played. He started at 16 years, being world champion on sweden, and in 30 years old, there he was, world champion again, in mexico.
georgekalathil
There is no point in comparing two awesome players from different poles. Both of them were the best in their respective eras. Both had different styles and attitude. The situations has also changed since the Pele era. So its not a good idea in making comparisons on two of the greatest soccer players. There are many other players also. One of the all time greats, Diego Maradona is also there. But all these three came from totally different periods and possesed unique talents.
wabik90
I think it is hard to chose who is better. Some prefer Pele, some prefer Zidane. I think Zidane is(was) one of the best players, he is the legend of football. Smile
frenchy
Both are legends it's hard to say.
joegoodwelder
Contemporary assessments are biased by the frequency of having seen which player in action, whether by someone who types on a typewriter of texts on a phone. History will determine who really had a greater impact on football. The next generation of children (and the generations after that) will decide whom they will emulate. Clearly, nobody questions the greatness of Isaac Newton or Galileo, but we all know who said the world was flat.
sudipbanerjee
No one is best. Best is only one- Diego Maradona.
Among these two pele is a striker where as Zidane is an attacking midfielder. So comparison is very tuff. But actually I didn't saw any live match of Pele. I saw only some clippings which show only his strengths no weakness. But I saw to play Zidane from 1998 to 2006. So for me Zidane is better than Pele.
pscompanies
Pele for sure.
slashnburn99
Zidane, what a way to finish a Karate move into the chest, awesome player and mad as beans
uzeed
Men without mixing words i want to say that PELE is the best player of all time.... My reason is that pele played football at the time when you develop your skills why Zedean played when he has people like pele to watch....
The history pele left is far more than Zedean.... i watched pele videos he is trully a world class and best player of all times.
D'Artagnan
if you were comparing legends like Maradonna and Pele, but zidane?

Zidane is an excelent player for sure but he should be compared with Ronaldinho.
RuBo
Pele never played in Europe.
Zinedine Zidane is my all time favourite player.
Zizou is God.. who the hell is Pele?

infoxt
No football player in the world today should be compared to PELE.

He was/is/will be the best ever football player.

KUDOS great PELE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
menino
The best football player was Pele, hands down.
He was really good with the ball... much better than Zidane.

Zidane was good, but nowhere near as good as Pele, with the ball. He earned more fame because of his head-butting the other player which went as a craze on the internet, and also gained recongnition among the arabs, as he is of arab decent.

Maradonna was also a great player, but many of Maradonna's goals came as a result of playing politics on the feild. In many cases in todays soccer world, they use this strategy to win games, or not let the other team win, or score.
daredninja
I find it funny how people can decide that Pele is the best player of all time having only seen a few minutes or footage or one of his famous world cup matches.

Since Pele did not get the chance to ply his trade in Europe there will always be people that hold that against him. Also let's not forget that those Brazil teams he played in were amongst the most star studded of all time! Brazil 1970 in particular!

Romario scored overs 1000+ goals yet that alone is not a reason for him to be considered one of the top three best players of all time. Oh he won a world cup as well. And won titles both in Brazil and in Europe!

Pele has marketed himself amazingly and that is one of the main reasons he considered one of if not the best to ever play the game. Don't get me wrong from the little I have seen of him he was an incredibly gifted player but I have trouble calling him the best based on that.

Players like Maradona who single-handedly led a no-mark team from southern italy to the national and european title? Or Zidane as mentioned who although his career marred by that headbutt was the best in the world for so long? Or Brazilian Ronaldo whose career blighted by injury mesmerized everyone? Or Messi today?

It's too difficult to say. But I am pretty comfortable saying it was not Pele.
Segun3d
magneto_ms wrote:
I haven't seen much of Pele. But Zidane's style of play and touch on the ball is pure eye candy.
! zidane is born with the spirit of soccer while king pele is a trained soccer player their is a difference between talent and fun hobby.
Segun3d
Dragonfly wrote:
Not Pele nor Zinedine Zidane, but Maradona is the best player of all time. Very Happy Of course Zidane is among the great footballer of all time but he doesn't come close to Maradona.
! Twisted Evil maradona common give me abrake the guy is just a disgrace to the history of lewgend but was very lucky to find the hand of god but who cares and now he is no were to be found
ifeco2
pele is good but i thing zidane is better. IN my side, he is popularly know as "ESHINOLA"
yagnyavalkya
It is difficult to compare these players
conwayss
How can you compare Zidane to Pele. The only player that comes close to Pele is Maradona. Zidane is a great of his time but not in the top 5 of all time greats in my opinion.
ujjwalshrestha
Both are great players. Pele not only played a great game but totally dominated in that era, only player who came close to his greatness is Maradona. I don't see Zidane at the same level.
alimddine
Pele its a legendary player and he scored over 1000 goals. Zinedine Zidane its also a very good player but Pele was the best of the best.
ujjwalshrestha
After seeing the way Messi is playing, the question should who is the best between Pele and Messi. Messi has shown a true potential to be greatest ever. He still has lot to prove. I think he got what it takes to become the best and only time will tell.

Zindane is a good player but couldn't better Pele or Maradona.
TheLimey
This question should not even exist.... Pele is so much better than Zidane, just look at the stats
ujjwalshrestha
Zidane is no compare for Pele.

Pele is icon, legend and synonym to football. No player has ever come to his level of greatness. Maradona came close but drugs and heroine f'ked up his brain.
portoskt
impossible to compare... different time, different game completly... if i have, ill vote for zidane, just because i did not watch pele never
supermanlovejan
both also good, harder to compare, different generation.
pravojednostavno
There is not much sense in comparing Pele and Zinedine Zidane.
Pele was a striker and he made 1281 goal in 1363 games - this is a quote 0,94 goals per game.
On the other hand, Zidane was a midfielder, though an offensive one.
He made 123 goals in 614 games (according to Wikipedia), and this is a quote 0,2 goals per game.

Zidane was FIFA World Player of the Year 3 times, but Pele was chosen as the World Player of the Century.

I think Pele is much, much better than Zidane, and there are even other players that are better than Zidane - Maradona, Messi ...