FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

engagement ring

bluefossil
How much you supposed to spend on a diamond ring? 2 months salary? Before or after tax? Wink
kd5nrh
I spent about $250 on the ring, but could easily have spent a lot more. OTOH, I figured the ring was more decorative and symbolic, and since I proposed on her birthday, (one less day for me to remember) I spent a good bit more money on other fun stuff.
JoeFriday
it depends on how much of a sucker you are.. but read this article first

http://www.princeton.edu/~amoroz/2004/11/have-you-ever-tried-to-sell-diamond.html

the standard rule is "whatever the salesman can get you to spend".. or whatever your girlfriend/fiance thinks she's worth, as that's generally what determines your action

seriously, if I were going to buy a diamond (which I can reasonably say I won't.. nor will my girlfriend want one), I'd either go to a diamond wholesaler such as www.bluenile.com or a secondhand/consignment seller.. ebay is also a viable option

but keep in mind that the diamond markup at a diamond store is approximately 400%.. and once you buy it, the diamond is yours forever.. hence the saying.. cuz nobody is going to buy it from you at that price.. it's like buying a Mercedes and having it immediately depreciate to the price of a Kia in an hour
blue77
You should know the girls taste first. It's the best way to save some money and to give her what she wants. Maybe 200- 350 dolars it's the regular price
Sava
lol, I bet a girl loves diamonds so a 400-500 would bring you a definite yes =)
girlcalledjay
My engagement ring is truly stunning and unique, rather than a traditional solitaire. It also cost far less than two months of my husbands salary. In fact less than one week!!!

For me, my engagement ring is a symbol of his committment to me and to our relationship. FOr other women though an engagement ring is very much a status symbol and they work on the bigger is better theory.

If you are lucky you are planning to propose to a lady who loves you and wants to be with you and is not obsessed with a large or expensive stone.

Why not stop and browse in a jewellery store window with her one day. Take note of the types of stones and settings that catch her eye. Cluster type settings (which use lots of very small stones) look very impressive, but are cheaper because of the size of the diamonds. It's what I have!!!
randy
The correct answer, of course, is that you buy from me the one I still have for a couple hundred.
mah_lau
(not totally off topic but...)

Have you ever heard the saying, "Marriage is a three ring circus?"
Haha you have the engagement ring, the wedding ring, and the suffering. Haha.
Sadow
A bit off topic but it's a really nice story which actually happened. (whether you will believe it or not...)

A couple of years ago the whole family went on holiday to the south of France. My sister and her boyfriend were also tagging along. All went great, had a lot of fun and sun, until suddenly my sister's fiance (they got engaged the other night...) had lost his engagement ring in the sea at the beach. He dropped it about 3 - 5 meters from the shore. When they came back to us (we were lying on the beach a bit further) they told the sad news. I didn't hesitate for a moment, borrowed a scuba set from a french lady and jumped into the sea where the ring was lost.
LOL I really felt like Deagol when I found the ring back on the bottom. Razz
My sister and her fiance were in awe. ^_^
tracybh
just she accept it,

save money. Love counts.
LadyAngel
my husband only spent 100 on my full wedding set...

the ring doesnt matter.. its the love that counts..
JoeFriday
wow, I don't know where you people are from where you can find engagement rings for $200-300.. but more power to you!

it's not at all uncommon for the people I know to spend $3000-15,000 (yes, that's thousands) on diamond rings
blue77
Hi, JoeFriday and all forumers Very Happy

I'm from outher country. Not US I mean. Hire the things are cheaper and you are right to keep wondering about the prices I gave. Sorry Rolling Eyes
I'm a women and I think that the gesture is more important. I wouldn't be happy if a knew that the guy has spend a fortune and is almost ruin about the engagement ring he gave me.
KarylleSmith
It depends on how much you can afford. Don't be cheap on engagement rings. http://www.rokstok.com/engagement-rings.php
josealford
On my wedding i gifted my fiance an wedding dress worth 500.... Laughing

Pretty expensive deal..... Sad
Greatking
I will have spent the best to get the best of diamonds. I spent abot 200 on a diamond ring.
iiinvest
Some of you guys spend a couple hundred on a diamond ring? Surely it would be nice to live where you guys are. I'm planning on trying to find an engagement ring for my girlfriend here in Korea but the prices are quite ridiculous even compared to American standards. There are import taxes on rings and they easily go for 30-50% more than the $1,000+ in the US. Even if I buy a ring on the internet and have it shipped here there is a 30% tax that I have to pay on top of the ring. It's also illegal to bring a ring in without claiming it at customs and paying the 30% tax. Most older Koreans don't wear rings but the younger crowd all have huge rings to show off their status.
De Beers I hate you.
FastDebrid
I don't really know.
Perhaps what ever is enough to buy one which doesn't come off and is genuine. Razz
LegendVPN
Hahahaa...one that doesn't come off but it makes sense. For me, I'd just like something that is genuinea and visible, I guess.
Segia
Buy her a gorgeous ring, no matter the price. If that's a week's salary - fine, if it's two months, fine as well. As long as it fits her taste and personality it'll be just fine; money doesn't need to be in the back of either of your heads at such a magical moment, be it in the form of greediness or materialism.
johans
people like expensive things.. the point here is if you really in-love with each other no matter how cheap or expensive your presence to her it is important that she satisfies with you.

Very Happy
LittleBlackKitten
Depends on if she cares what other people think, really. My engagement ring was $75 and I honestly don't care; I love how it looks, and I'd rather spend the excess money on something that we can use, enjoy, and appreciate, instead of a shiny rock on my finger (which I would be TERRIFIED to wear if it were worth more!). It honestly boils down to whether or not she is materialistic. Some women equate love with gifts, and those of us who know what love REALLY is, honestly don't care. Spend what you feel comfortable spending without feeling cheap, and if you want to jazz it up without her being at risk for being mugged for her ring when she is alone, you can always be elaborate with dinner, chocolate, flowers, or even hiring a band.
andro_king
do whatever she will like.. select the most beautiful ring which you can afford..
loveandormoney
Please post fotos.
xpfocus
thank God I didnt need a for my woman
codersfriend
That's a lot of expensive. I guess you'll really have to do a lot on preparations for that moment
loveandormoney
xpfocus wrote:
thank God I didnt need a for my woman

She bought for You.
Isnt it.
Da Rossa
The ring is gonna last for a long, long time. Don't be a cowhand. She deserves it. But as someone pointed above, it is the love that counts.

Don't trade your teeth either.
loveandormoney
Da Rossa wrote:
The ring is gonna last for a long, long time. Don't be a cowhand. She deserves it. But as someone pointed above, it is the love that counts.

Don't trade your teeth either.

How long is long?

One week?
One fighting?
One illussion?

Yes and yes
trading is a big problem.
Pippo90
Do not buy diamonds! They are like a scam since the process to produce artificial diamonds is not that complex or expensive, and you can distinguish them from original ones only because they are actually even more perfect.

For more information about this: https://www.quora.com/Scams/What-is-a-scam-that-everyone-needs-to-be-warned-about
loveandormoney
Pippo90 wrote:
Do not buy diamonds! They are like a scam since the process to produce artificial diamonds is not that complex or expensive, and you can distinguish them from original ones only because they are actually even more perfect.

For more information about this: https://www.quora.com/Scams/What-is-a-scam-that-everyone-needs-to-be-warned-about

Is it better to buy gold?

In the crisis You can pay the doctor with gold.