FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What's the best OS for my PC?

alienjones
Hi there,

Now I am proud owner of a AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ DualCore-PC.
It came with preinstalled Windows XP Home Edition.
I wonder if XP Home is the best solution in order to take my processing unit to its limits. As I will get into video-editing and 3D-Animation I guess it doesn't make a difference for me installing a non-Windows-OS like Linux and using Open-Source-Software.

What do you think - which OS will be able to exhaust the possibilities of my Dualcore?
lSaKenl
Windows doesnt have good tools for video making, Linux neither, a bit better but not good ones, Mac is the best, but you can't install it, i'd suggest you to run SuSe or Mandrake Linux, best open souce video making tools are for those distros
alienjones
Don't get me wrong... this is not about apps or tools.
This is just about the operating system being able to use 64bit and dualcore power at its best.
{name here}
alienjones wrote:
Don't get me wrong... this is not about apps or tools.
This is just about the operating system being able to use 64bit and dualcore power at its best.

Red Hat was thoughly tested for the AMD 64 bit Intellistation. Perhaps something like that would be good.

I bet if you are competent enough in Linux and your computer hardware Gentoo would be the best solution.
lSaKenl
well well, then download SuSe for 64bit processor, as i know it runs very well, if not, then Ubuntu, there are a special version for AMD 64bit
Jaan
Linux is a big computer game. If you know what you're doing, go for it. If not, stick to XP - easiest to use and you still get good, fast results.
Cheers Cool Twisted Evil Question Exclamation Question Question Exclamation
alienjones
I'm quite firm with Linux as I used to run a cosole-based router/firewall on Mandrake, so this ain't no problem.

Suse would be good - it's a German distro and I am German Very Happy
But can Suse be downloaded? I thought one has to buy the Distro....
LostOverThere
You can download OpenSuSE for 100% free and legal here:
http://opensuse.org
shaggly
As the guy above said, you can download Open Suse now, which is, I believe, at 10.2. That would be a good idea if you're already familiar with it.

On the other hand, you could always try RH.

Once you've got one (or more) of those up and running, you can still dable back again with your XP setup, but you could use something like Xen and run it on hardware virtualisation, so you don't have to have the dreaded MS PC invasion.

From what I've read, the h/w virtualisation in Xen is pretty cool with dual core processors, and a lot more efficient than normal software virtualisation.
corey
What will you be using your computer for? That would be a better way to determine what OS would be most useful. How much video editing? What else?
alienjones
corey wrote:
What will you be using your computer for? That would be a better way to determine what OS would be most useful. How much video editing? What else?

Lots of video-editing (not only cutting and coding but also Creating), 3D-Animation and -Rendering, Designstuff.
PerArne
Windows XP PRO Edition is far better then Windows XP Home Edition.

Because Windows XP PRO Edition handles the problems far better than Windows XP Home Edition. (this has been tested)

But its probably no matter changing it now if you got it free preinstalled Wink
megamass
use windows xp 64 bit with sp2 and be calm. linux cause more problems than you imagen if you use them for first time
alienjones
Cant image there is a difference in handling between XP Pro and Home Shocked

Perhaps it's not a question of the operating system? I discovered a lack performance on using the soundsoftware "Cubase" yesterday. Seems like it is not able coping with two cores, just one...

Is it at least a question of which apps I use instead of which operating system they run on?
djclue917
shaggly wrote:
As the guy above said, you can download Open Suse now, which is, I believe, at 10.2. That would be a good idea if you're already familiar with it.

openSUSE 10.2 is still at alpha stage. The latest development release of it is 10.2 Alpha 4. I think 10.0 is still better than 10.1. YaST2 in 10.1 sucks so much. Anyway, I don't use SUSE now. I use Arch. Wink
djclue917
alienjones wrote:
Lots of video-editing (not only cutting and coding but also Creating), 3D-Animation and -Rendering, Designstuff.

You might wanna try Linux distros. By the way, don't generalize all Linux distros as being the same when you just tried one. Most distros as very different from each other. Some are deskop-oriented, some are server-oriented. Some are built for specific tasks.

One of the more beginner-friendly distros is openSUSE and Fedora I think. Ubuntu is somewhere between the middle: it fine for beginners who want to learn something.

By the way, the only way to get the most out of your hardware is to use software that is optimized to that specific hardware platform. If your machine is one of the newer ones, let's say an i686, you're better off with i686-optimized distros.

Another thing, you might want to try Blender for all your 3D animation and rendering needs. Wink

Here's a short movie made with Blender:
http://orange.blender.org/
gh0stface
lSaKenl wrote:
Windows doesnt have good tools for video making, Linux neither, a bit better but not good ones, Mac is the best, but you can't install it, i'd suggest you to run SuSe or Mandrake Linux, best open souce video making tools are for those distros

So you don't consider Adobe Premier or Sony Vegas Video good tools for video making?

Apple fanboys tend to push for Final Cut Pro. FCP is good no doubt, but each video editing software has its pros and cons. I myself perfer Sony Vegas Video as its really user friendly. Adobe Premier tended be a little more complex. There is also Avid Express which I have never used which is also suppose to be really good too. Supposedly it's the industry's leading video editing software.

I haven't really heard of any video editing 3D animation rendering software for Linux. But then, I don't really dwell into the Linux area.
turbohead
alienjones wrote:
I'm quite firm with Linux as I used to run a cosole-based router/firewall on Mandrake, so this ain't no problem.

Suse would be good - it's a German distro and I am German Very Happy
But can Suse be downloaded? I thought one has to buy the Distro....

Suse 10 is free now, you can download disk images from it's official site. Wink
urangkayo
try openbsd 3.9

you can look here http://www.openbsd.org

or maybe you want try solaris 10 too Smile
yhtsolutions
buy an MAC Razz
cybernerf
i think you are now ready to use the windows XP Pro 64bit Edition... I think it requires more memory and powerful processor but you're PC is much good enough to run that....

Try to check it out for some of its features.