FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Lunix

TeamPwn
Where is the best place to download a copy of linux and which distrubution would you say to go for?

I've wanted to get lunix for a while now but I cant seem to find a good place to download one.
{name here}
That's because it's Linux, not Lunix.

Linux.com has reviews of some of the more popular distrobutions(choose there), but the best place to download them is probably a torrent tracker(if they're free).

Ubuntu variants are supposedly the easiest ones to use. But if you truely want to learn how to use a Unix OS then I suggest you get FreeBSD, as it forces you to use the command line in the beginning and set the Desktop Environments, Sound Driver, etc. That way you know your UNIX basics - making programs, editing configs with ed or vi, directory structure, etc.
lSaKenl
not only FreeBSD, Slackware Linux too, you can download it in the official site, it has many many mirrors to download
Francisckrs
Also i like redhat better and use KDE it's kinda like windows and easier to use
kd5nrh
If you really want KDE to work right, the best one I've found for general purposes is PCLinuxOS. Goofy name, but it works great on my desktop, and it's pretty easy to keep up to date.

For some reason, every other distro I tried with KDE just didn't seem to work right.
djclue917
TeamPwn wrote:
Where is the best place to download a copy of linux and which distrubution would you say to go for?

I've wanted to get lunix for a while now but I cant seem to find a good place to download one.

Obviously, the best "place" to download an ISO of a Linux distro is from the distro's web site. Or if mirrors exist, then you might want to download from them instead. If you know how to use BitTorrent then you might just consider using BitTorrent to download the ISO(s) to conserve the bandwidth of the servers.

If you want a (big) list of distros, visit http://distrowatch.com
They normally have links to important web sites (e.g. forums, main sites, mailing lists, download links, torrents, etc.) concerning a particular distro.
simplyw00x
Finally, can I be the first to mention that this is in the wrong forum. Rolling Eyes
Animal
simplyw00x wrote:
Finally, can I be the first to mention that this is in the wrong forum. Rolling Eyes

Yes you can. And I'll be the first to direct everyone to the Official Thread on this topic.

-close-