FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Live Web Server Status

Hammy
Hey, i was thinking perhaps if you could try and find something that could give us live information about wheather the server is down or not.

This would prevent many posts about 'Server # down?' followed up by 10+ spam saying 'Yes, same for me...'.

Idea's:

Automatic: I know it's possible to get live information for games servers, so i suspect it's possible to do it for the web too, and you could have a seperate page, or perhaps on the homepage which is kinda advertising your 'Uptime' if they see-
Server #1: ONLINE
Server #2: ONLINE

Other Options could be Online, Offline, Error Reports.. Umm i duno, your more tecnically minded than me lol.

Or just simply,
Manual: This could simply be a stickied thread in the 'Web Hosting Support' forum with the thread title: 'Server #1: ONLINE || Server #2: ONLINE'
Then in the thread itself it can have information about the servers, like, 'All systems are working correctly' or... 'Pages are recieveing the following error: 'blah blah' .. Suspected down time: 15 minutes.'

This could be updated by Mods/Admins when they are informed of a server being down.

I couldnt find an example on the web sorry.. Hope you concider it though Wink

ohh yer, P.s. what does this mean?
Quote:
6) Asp on this server.
I thought perhaps it was just what i surgested?.. but not knowing what it meant means i surggest it anyways :p

Wink Please backup this idea Smile lol
Bondings
I'm planning to make a separate website on a different server/host with information about all the servers. I already registered a domain for it months ago, but I currently have other more important stuff to do first.
Hammy
Ooo.. very gud! Smile... can we get a idea of what the domain will be Wink It is for 'Server 3' yea?

I see u alrdy got www.frih.net, www.frihost.net .. whats server 3? Wink
Blaster
hmm how about www.frih.com or www.fri.net Razz hmm thats a good question i kinda want to know its something to think about.
Bondings
Frih.com is already registered and not by me. And the main purpose of it would be not to have it on one of our servers, at least not where the hosting accounts are.
Blaster
oh i didn't know that. Frih.info is avabile. frihservers.com/.net ( i like that one the best.) But anyhow this is way off topic.
Marston
Back on topic:

I'm pretty sure it's easy to do this with PHP... Correct me if I'm wrong?
SlowWalkere
Aren't the forums on a server separate from the hosting?

Whenever server 2 goes down, the forums are still accessible, so couldn't the status page be hosted on frihost.com?

- Walkere
coreymanshack
i dont think it's such a big deal as to where the script is hosted...the script is simple also, hell I could make one on my website on a different server!

the only matter is to when bondings decides to post it up... and the server he posts it on would need to be up 100% of the time.
Blaster
SlowWalkere wrote:
Aren't the forums on a server separate from the hosting?

Whenever server 2 goes down, the forums are still accessible, so couldn't the status page be hosted on frihost.com?

- Walkere

There are two servers. Server 1 hosts the forums and server 2 hosts most of the sites. the .frih.net sites. frihost.net sites are on server 1.

@hammy n0obie had a dynamic sig like this at one time. I'm sure any dynamic sig person here would be able to do this. I'm pretty sure bondings could do this.

I think it might still be up too and there might be an image somewhere in one of my posts. But looking through over 3000 posts for it would be murder.

Edit: well it wasn't murder i found it Very Happy It shows both server 1 and server 2.

SlowWalkere
I thought that the forums were at frihost.com and that frihost.net was just for hosting. But I guess they could be the same server with different domains pointing to it.

As for the sig, where does the info for server uptime come from? If it comes from the same place that the direct admin info comes from, then the problem is that it is inaccurate. Right now, direct admin tells me that server 2 has an uptime of 5 Days and some odd hours. But I'm pretty sure server 2 has been inaccessible between now and 5+ days ago.

I'm guessing that something is making the pages inaccessible (i.e. excess server load from scripts) but that doesn't necessitate the server being restarted, so there is no evidence that the "downtime" actually happened. I think what Hammy (and everybody) wants is some kind of indication of whether or not the server is accessible and, if its not, how long its been inaccessible.

- Walkere
Blaster
on the above sig there is a problem with server 2. I'm not so sure how n0obie did it and i don't think he would tell me. But both frihost.net and frihost.com are the same server.
Bondings
SlowWalkere wrote:
I'm guessing that something is making the pages inaccessible (i.e. excess server load from scripts) but that doesn't necessitate the server being restarted, so there is no evidence that the "downtime" actually happened. I think what Hammy (and everybody) wants is some kind of indication of whether or not the server is accessible and, if its not, how long its been inaccessible.

That is the time since the last server restart.

What you are referring to is most likely Apache restarting/crashing. The problem is that every time an account is created or removed, Apache (web server) needs to restart resulting in it being 10-30 seconds down. It is also currently restarted one time per hour by the monitoring tool (and there are problems if I switch it to less frequently). Also from time to time Apache crashes and is usually restarted within the minute, the last thing is what I'm trying to stop and what is the most annoying.
garionw
Bondings wrote:
SlowWalkere wrote:

That is the time since the last server restart.

What you are referring to is most likely Apache restarting/crashing. The problem is that every time an account is created or removed, Apache (web server) needs to restart resulting in it being 10-30 seconds down. It is also currently restarted one time per hour by the monitoring tool (and there are problems if I switch it to less frequently). Also from time to time Apache crashes and is usually restarted within the minute, the last thing is what I'm trying to stop and what is the most annoying.

Could I please ask why it needs to restart after every new account, is it for DA?
Bondings
garionw wrote:
Could I please ask why it needs to restart after every new account, is it for DA?

I'm not completely sure about the exact reason, but each time an account is removed/added the configuration of Apache needs to be changed (virtual host removed/added).
simplyw00x
Several points:
It's fairly obvious if the server is down. A status page is sort of unnecessary unless it has information about when the problem is going to be fixed. If it's scheduled, you'd know already, if it isn't, you won't know when it'll be fixed.

You don't have to use PHP, just have an image stored on each host all load on the same page. If any fails, then the host is down. Simple as.

Why are there different domain names for each server? Why, in fact, is there a different domain for the forum and for the hosting? What's wrong with a load-balancing system? It's confusing and (I'd say) uneccesary to have 3, and soon 4 domains for the same service from the same website.

Finally, such a sig is easy to do - you use php's system() to run uptime - the servers run linux (arch, if I'm not wrong). The problem is it's farily heavy and probably shouldn't be used. Your call.
Manofgames
how about trying a program called Internet Seer(i think)

very limited, but emails you when website is down and gives the reason why (i.e. error 404 server not found etc)
Blaster
manofgames nice sig Razz

But really i dont' know what your talking about. I still think something of like what i posted would be a good idea. Although it woudl be nice if there was a forum on .frih.net to say whats going on with server 1 if there is a problem. Just something where people can register but bondings could post on it.
Hammy
by the way, i dont think anyone answered..

whats does "6) Asp on this server." mean?

Ya'll have very gud ideas Smile , we'll just have to see what bonding has in mind Smile
Bockman
Hammy wrote:
by the way, i dont think anyone answered..

whats does "6) Asp on this server." mean?

Ya'll have very gud ideas Smile , we'll just have to see what bonding has in mind Smile

ASP is a language equivalent to PHP or HTML, except it only works on windopws based servers.
Since all our servers are linux/unix based, it's kinda foolish to request for ASP support on the servers Wink

Be Well Cool