FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do models affect your eating habits?

Do models affect your eating habits?
They affect my whole life
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Sometimes
18%
 18%  [ 6 ]
Occasionally
9%
 9%  [ 3 ]
Not at all :)
71%
 71%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 32

ChrisCh
Another quick poll - do models affect your eating habits?

It sounds strange, but does seeing a model in a magazine, on TV etc. make you want to be like them so much that you change your diet?

(Research for HPE theory) Smile
ninjakannon
I hardly watch TV and I don't read any magazines. But I would never be afected by a model (male of female) in any way. Half of them take drugs to stay so thin and I much prefer people who look natural, not as though they've been squeezed arround the middle until they won't get any thinner. But if you naturly look that thin, then that's fine. But few people actually do.

Some models have heck loads of cosmetic surgery, which is - although not bad, in my opinion - not something to try and copy. You'll probably find it hard to copy the looks of someone who has had their body altered through surgery.

Also, don't put on too much make-up, you see models do it, but the natural look is again, much better.
secret_soul
I don't think I've ever actually changed my eating habits because of a model but they do make me wish I could. It's so depressing seeing all these stick-thin people everywhere and then any model who is just normal is instantly called fat. I think when I've put on weight or something it affects me more though. Generally I tend to be more interested in how pretty their faces are and things like that.
thealpha
I don't think so, maybe I am a boy and I don't like begin too 'fit'.
CreepingD
I feel so sorry for all those girl who think supermodels are 'perfect'

being so thin isn't sexy at all, and all of that make-up isn't natural at all

well, that's only my opinion ofcourse Smile
ninjakannon
CreepingD wrote:

Mmmm I agree. In fact I bet that over 95% of models are actually less perfect than the people being infulenced by them.

But of course that's only my opinion. And I don't know a heck of a lot about the lifestyles of the models, but from my knowledge, that's my guess.

If you're a supermodel, don't be offended by this. Either I'm wrong, or you're one of the less than 5%.
tyrant
doesn't affect me either.

I feel that unless your planning on become a stick model for fashion walkways you'd be better off with whatever diet your having now.
puredazzle
I'm really interested in fashion, and now in later days I've noticed that the images effect me more than I realized... But not that much after all, you watch something and then you turn the page and it's out of your mind. But I think if I would get fat, im really skinny, then I would prob' be a little bit more conscerned.
DRXX
No

Why would they, My body is in a good shape so why would I want it to be like the others

I eat what i eat every day
noirame
No. I model, and I eat all the time! I'm probably not one of those super anorexic models you're thinking of, though. XD

Look at this!

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14748549/

They're refusing to allow super skinny models to work in Spain now! =D
ninjakannon
Haha, unlucky to those anorexics then! Shocked

That's a good thing. Although that will put some, but not many, people out a job in Spain. Maybe more people will realise that it's not actually that good to be όber slim! Let's just hope they don't all go and get fat! Razz That's actually unlikely (or, unlikely as a result of this), as there are super slim models in the UK (where I live) and obesity is a growing problem ("the next generation will die before their parents as a result of obesity" - not liking this quote (well.. it went something like that anyway (I think! Razz))).
HoboPelican
noirame wrote:

They're refusing to allow super skinny models to work in Spain now!
=D

I'm not familiar with how this works, but the article was about a single event, right? Don't the designers pick models who will best show off their threads? You'd think that they would pull out of the show if they couldn't display their products to best effect. Any insight on this, noirame?

I never thought of models as being "perfect" in any sense. They are bodies, faces and movement used to sell things. Beautiful? Some are attractive to some people, but I think, at the higher levels, it is more about "striking". You can be striking without being particularly pretty.

People always talk about the models, what about the designers? They are the ones making clothes designed for those body styles.
sbel
wait, i thought models are supposed to FIT in the designer's clothes and not the other way around...

But on to eating habits, i think models look better if they're not too skinny.
venkateshwarans
They do affect, not much. Looking at Brad pitt or anjelina jolie makesd you to feel different.
jon9314
mabee once in a great while. but not for long
rohan2kool
yep.. some group of nerds fighting for women's rights or something like that has helped in disallowing skinny models as they say excessive demands for skininess is causing a major segment to lose weight to fatal levels or Whatever - TF. Don't really care Very Happy
lepris
Is it really the models we adore or the well designed outlook they present? The skinny beauty was promoted once and is still visible in media. For me staying slim shows that a person takes care of how she/he presents in public. Being fat is not natural and associates with illness, the same concerns anorectic look.

Well I wouldn't encourage anybody to loosing weight in some drastic starving, or stupid (like untasty diets) ways, but.... With my own body i've noticed that it always better to way less than too much. It affects the physical and mind condition very positively. Like you find walking or running easier, not even mentioning the differnece you discover, when riding a bike uphill with or without a 5 kilo luggage.

From another point of view an occasional change of diet may be an exciting experience. For me it is, as I adore cooking some exotic dishes. I can also tell from my experience, that it's much easier to controll weight when you live on your own. I couldn't imagine dieting in my mothers house with a fridge full of delicious food and tasty meals prepared by mom.
meet in rio
No. I'm slim anyway and I actually dislike how boyish my figure is. What I would want to change would be impossible without drastic plastic surgery. I never feel bad about eating unless I know I'm being really unhealthy.

I think if people thought of their bodies more as tools (mouth for eating, not pouting; butt for sitting on, not looking at; legs for getting from A to B, not for shaving and putting on display; breasts for feeding babies, not for your boyfriend) then we might all be happier.
benjmd
meet in rio wrote:
No. I'm slim anyway and I actually dislike how boyish my figure is. What I would want to change would be impossible without drastic plastic surgery. I never feel bad about eating unless I know I'm being really unhealthy.

I think if people thought of their bodies more as tools (mouth for eating, not pouting; butt for sitting on, not looking at; legs for getting from A to B, not for shaving and putting on display; breasts for feeding babies, not for your boyfriend) then we might all be happier.

I don't think the problem is people not thinking of their bodies as tools to accomplish those tasks. They most certainly do. I think the problem is not accepting that there are a range of bodies that can all achieve those purposes and others.

Many different people are attracted to many different things. The most universal appeal is that of health, whatever the eye deems it to be. Your body *is* something to share with someone special whom you choose and all the pleasures that you can derive from that. Acts of grooming enhance the sensual experience for some and do nothing for others and that is for them to determine. You should be confident in your wishes for yourself, make them realistic and healthy wishes, and carry them out.

Everyone is attractive to someone. But that doesn't mean there aren't general things that tend to attract people more: like shaven legs in some cultures, more or less weight in others, or particular body scents (whether natural or clean). That doesn't mean every person feels that way - just that more people like that particular thing than another particular.
ktzenga
I am so sick of hearing about how models starve themselves. I model A LOT and everytime I do a photoshoot or a runway show that takes several hours we are always backstage eating chocolate, and pizza, and pop, and a whole bunch of junk food!!! MOST of my agencies clients want sizes 8,10, and 12 because that is the average woman's size. I am 16 and my size ranges from 2-6 and I have been told by my agent to GAIN weight! never once have I heard her tell girls to lose weight she is ALWAYS encouraging us to GAIN weight. And no my agency is NOT for plus sizes! Evil or Very Mad
lepris
Hi Ktzenga
I congratulate you on your wonderfull metabolism. I whish I had such too. I think that keeping thin troubles mainly those who suffer a great difficulty while trying to loose some weight. When the metabolism is too slow it is almost impossible to keep fit and eat whatever you want and as often as you wish. By the way from my experience i discovered that the older you get the harder it seems for me to loose weight. I also remmember a school mate who at secondary school was very fit until we were in the last 2 years of school. She gained weight suddenly and i cannot remmeber her becoming as slim as before.
urbanbuddha
Sometimes. XD Mostly its those darned skinny girls. I'm not chubby or anything, but I'm short and I feel like my legs are kinda stubby... No matter how thin I am, my legs will always be this part of me that I want to be skinny like models. XD
ninjakannon
urbanbuddha wrote:
Sometimes. XD Mostly its those darned skinny girls. I'm not chubby or anything, but I'm short and I feel like my legs are kinda stubby... No matter how thin I am, my legs will always be this part of me that I want to be skinny like models. XD

So what do you do about this, if anything? And is it the modles which make you feel bad about them (assuming you do feel bad them) or just the general pressure of our society?
lepris
Hi urbanbuddha, My friend has an opposite problem to your , she's very tall, and con not find the way to gain anything on the leggs:) You could switch.
mstreet
I have never had an image of a model affect my eating. Now maybe my buying habits, whoa I like those shoes but not my eating.
chick.peckin
Just kidding! I am not a carnivore, or a cannibal... No- I eat what I like, unless some model were feeding me yummy grapes then that might affect the situation. But unfortunately I am not so lucky.
driftingfe3s
I guess as a guy it doen't affect me as much as it might a woman. I'm trying to cut down on fats when I can becuase I'm trying to get really defined muscles but thats not a result of models and TV. Most of the time I eat whatever I want, but I try to eat healthy when I can.
just-in
ninjakannon wrote:
CreepingD wrote:

Mmmm I agree. In fact I bet that over 95% of models are actually less perfect than the people being infulenced by them.

But of course that's only my opinion. And I don't know a heck of a lot about the lifestyles of the models, but from my knowledge, that's my guess.

If you're a supermodel, don't be offended by this. Either I'm wrong, or you're one of the less than 5%.

I too feel so sorry for those who follow supermodels when it comes to eating.....

for me... you can eat whatever you feel like but not just eating the way you eat same way you should do some activities do burn your fat.
SGbilder
I dont want to be skinny so i dont have that problem..
furtasacra
ChrisCh wrote:

It sounds strange, but does seeing a model in a magazine, on TV etc. make you want to be like them so much that you change your diet?

(Research for HPE theory) Smile

Nope! However, seeing really FAT people on TV sometimes has an effect on my meal or snack choices immediately afterwards (carrot sticks instead of chips, or not eating meat at dinner, for example).
Tatsumaru
Nope... I know how to take good care of my body, diet- and trainingwise. I don't need 'models' to look up to. Manly models in my case haha Laughing
chastise
A lot of people think models, media and what not have a negative effect on the children of today. I think barbie has a worse effect. If there was a real life barbie, she would have back problems, and be unable to walk.

Models do have a positive effect in one way because it discourages obesity. Which is taking it's toll on canadian and american teenagers, and adults.