FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Good songs to learn

rhathar
I play the guitar, and am always looking for new songs to learn. I love to sing and play, but rarely find songs I like enough to learn both parts. Any suggestions?

Some examples of what I can play now (and sing):
House of the Rising Sun
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication
Sublime - What I Got; April 26, 1992
Green Day - Good Riddance ; Basketcase ; Brain Stew
Dispatch - The General
RENT - One Song, Glory
cyph33r
Try some Metallica songs, a good one is 'Nothing Else Matters' - it is quite easy to learn to play.
fashioncrimewave
i found that "Sweet Jane" by Velvet Underground is actually pretty easy to sing and play at the same time, which I find pretty challenging. a lot of the early Bowie songs, like Space Oddity or Ziggy Stardust, are cool too.
Magicman
Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd is pretty easy to learn to play and sing for the most part. Thats the first full song I learned. Just skip the solo if you want to keep it simple.
HoboPelican
First song I really learned was Stairway to Heaven. Took a bit, since this was way back before the web was around and my bud and I had to do it by ear. But it was that good combo of not too hard but beyond what I was doing so I learned a lot from it.

Of course, you could try some Johnny Cash songs. Laughing Those are just fun!
Shewolf
"Shy" By Sonata Arctica should not be too difficult, and it's a pretty song:)
Ozzy
cyph33r wrote:
Try some Metallica songs, a good one is 'Nothing Else Matters' - it is quite easy to learn to play.

Indeed, or Enter Sandman.

When I first picked up the guitar the songs I learnt were:

Megadeth - Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?
Metallica - Enter Sandman
Metallica - Nothing Else Matters
Metallica - My Firend Of Misery
Metallica - Seek and Destroy

Without the solos of course. They are relatively easy to play, provided you are into that kind of music.
Sickness
Six Feet Under - Torture Killer lol
angel_of_death
why doesnt any one talk about linkin park?
and btw, just as ozzy put it, metallica songs are awesome

these are the best according to me
Arrow Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication
Arrow Sublime - What I Got; April 26, 1992
Arrow Green Day - Good Riddance ; Basketcase
Arrow Metallica - Nothing Else Matters ; My Firend Of Misery ;
Peace Sells...But Who's Buying? ; Enter Sandman ;
One ; Master of Puppets ; Fade to Black
Arrow Bon Jovi - Summer of 69 ; Back To You ; Have a nice day
Arrow Blackmore Nights - Under the violet moon
Arrow System of a down - Toxicity
Arrow Joe Satriani - Surfing with an Alien ; Always with me, always with you
Arrow Ironmaiden - Paschendale ; Alexander the great; Blood Brothers; Brave new world
Arrow of course many by Led Zepplin
Arrow and Eric Clapton

feel free to learn 'em(duh) the are some of the best Twisted Evil
i know about half of them Cool
ddukki
Out Loud by Dispatch is also a good song. Might seem a bit simple - actually, it is ... - but I like the mellow feel. Jack Johnson has a lot of songs that are fun to play, if not good sounding.
jrs32
Theres a lot of good stuff out there. Try some Nickelback, Flaw, Slipknot, Seether, Crossfade.. its all good! System of a down has some pretty fun stuff too..

Good luck!
Srs2388
Far Away-Nickelback.... I don't like to sing because I am terrible at it... but the song is easy to play
good luck
rhathar
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! Smile I've been trying some Metallica recently, as well as some oldies. Neil Young, etc. Also, added a few more Green Day songs to the mix, because I'm a sucker like that Wink
SGbilder
Outcast - "Hey ya" is a very easy song to play, but play it like Obadiah Parker and it sounds greate!!!
mercurial
i would say eric clapton songs are the easiest to learn and yet of some technical standard..for a start try learning songs like tears in heaven or layla. den for more difficult songs maybe try metallica songs like nothing else matters or fade to black. for me i personally like led zeppelin songs more but its kinda more challenging or so.
okullar
A peruvian band Zen has an amazing soft rock song: Quedate. The song is in Spanish.
SGbilder
Other funny song, or songs that I like to play;

The Verve - The Drugs Dont Work
The Verve - Sonnet
CCR - Bad Moon Rising
CCR - Have You Ever Seen The Rain
Elton John - Candle In The Wind
Guns N Roses - November Rain
Oasis - Wonderwall
Oasis - Stand By Me
Oasis - Don't Look Back In Anger
Hmmm... there are so many great Oasis songs!!! Laughing
Alanis Morisette - Head Over Feet
Alphaville - Forever Young
Bob Marley - No Woman No Cry
Boomtown Rats - I Dont Like Mondays
Bon Jovi - Bed of Roses (But this one is better on the piano..)
Mrs Robinson - Simon & Garfunkle
Eagels - Hotel California Maby THE best guitar song ever Exclamation

The list could be very loong... Then there are many song in swedish that I like but I don't think it's so fun to play and "sing" if you don't speak the language .. =) The songdatabase just get longer and longer, be sure to save all good songs you find and when you here a new song on the radio or something writ it down and search the net for lyrics and chords.
Good Luck!!
comite_bh
There are many great songs out there to learn!

I find it quite interesting to learn Jack Johnson songs, they aren't very hard but i like the beats. Rodeo Clowns and Banana Pancakes are a great start. Crying shame, the horizon has been defeated and times like these are a bit more complicated to play and sing at the same time

Other great songs are:
Tenacious D - Best song in the world
Silverchair - Ana's song
Silverchair - suiscidal dreams
Eric Clapton - Layla
Eric Clapton - Cocaine
Goo Goo Dolls - Iris
Goo Goo Dolls - Black Balloon
Greenday - She
Pink Floyd - dogs
Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
Pink Floyd - Money
Queens of the Stone Age - Mosquito Song

All these songs above aren't complicated! They are easy or intermediate! Remember that soloing in the guitar is a little harder!

Peace Out!
Mosquito.Tyler
Well, if you feel up to trying out some solo's, the majority of the solo's in 'Am I Evil?' by Metallica are easy. Simple patterns that help improve your speed. Also, there are bits and pieces of the famous solo by Van Halen: 'Eruption', that are pairly easy. But the rest is tough stuff Razz.
Helios
Try some Opeth songs for acoustic guitar, and for elect. too Smile
tkGER
First of all: pink floyd's shine on you crazy diamond (parts I-IX). It sounds great and it's not that complicated once you get the rythm.
By metallica you should learn Call of Ktulu (also quite simple), Battery and Welcome home sanitarium.
If you like RHCP you MUST learn My Friends (I recall it was called something of the sort, but I'm not really sure... Rolling Eyes )
If you like Clapton, the whole Unplugged Album Razz It's really easy asi it's all acoustic versions of Clapton's very best.
Hope you keep on learning new songs Wink
The_Gamer294
Guns N Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine. really easy if u play it on the acoustic. and if u have a friend over with an electric they can do the intro and solos. its a good song to play in a group if u dont get sick of it.
tizziano
I introduce to you some of the most covered bands in metal genre :

Metallica
Entombed,
Mayhem

but i offer if you cover this songs , your playing will be improve :

song name band name

Lateralus Tool
Vicarious Tool
Without judgment Death
Symbolic Death
Iced Earth Iced Earth
rhathar
So here's what I'm seeing:

Some metal for speed/riffs/solos, classic rock for some all around good and easy songs, and some modern rock for fun stuff Smile

I'll definately try and fit in a little of everything. And I agree with the Hotel California comment. That song is excellent Smile
shigajet
I'll add another Floyd tune to the list. "Is There Anybody Out There" from THE WALL has a nice acoustic guitar part that you could try.[/i]
anxiety1
on bass
i rekon

rancid0 - maxwell murder, crane fist

and ska stuff is always good to play when your learning
conspiranoia
You can try with any song from Nirvana.

But if i were you i'd start with the Beatles that's not very difficult and you can learn some useful tricks.

And of course, listen to many different kinds of music, that will make your music richer in sound and you will use that skills for your preferred genre.

My two cents.
BladeRunner
rhathar wrote:
I play the guitar, and am always looking for new songs to learn. I love to sing and play, but rarely find songs I like enough to learn both parts. Any suggestions?

Some examples of what I can play now (and sing):
House of the Rising Sun
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication
Sublime - What I Got; April 26, 1992
Green Day - Good Riddance ; Basketcase ; Brain Stew
Dispatch - The General
RENT - One Song, Glory

Acoustic:

Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
Horizons - Genesis
Beatles - Here Comes the Sun

Electric: