FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Which is better

lSaKenl
I've heard that Linux doesnt has a full 64 bit support or something like this, and i'm a bout to buy a new computer, but i dont know, should i buy a Pentium 4 or an Athlon XP 64 of bits?

Ty
new user
lSaKenl wrote:
I've heard that Linux doesnt has a full 64 bit support or something like this, and i'm a bout to buy a new computer, but i dont know, should i buy a Pentium 4 or an Athlon XP 64 of bits?

Ty

I would choose P4 (2.8 or such). Athlon 64 is not a good choice right now because I'm also not sure does it support Linux. P4 supports Linux and everybody who has a P4 is satisfied with performance in gaming and even with very difficult programs. And the price is getting lower every day...

btw. This should be under Hardware, right?
lSaKenl
I didnt post it on hardware because it was specifying about linux systems ^^

It is hard to choose for me, since i live in mexico, the prices are different of your country a P4 2.8 Ghz HT costs an equal to 300 dlls, and an Athlon XP 3200 64bit HT costs an equal to 100 dlls Confused
djclue917
new user wrote:
I would choose P4 (2.8 or such). Athlon 64 is not a good choice right now because I'm also not sure does it support Linux. P4 supports Linux and everybody who has a P4 is satisfied with performance in gaming and even with very difficult programs. And the price is getting lower every day...

btw. This should be under Hardware, right?

I guess you know little or nothing about Linux. Linux is THE most ported operating system. You can find it running on almost any hardware platform or configuration known to man. It supports more devices out-of-the-box than any other operating system ever has.

lSaKenl wrote:

Ty

I think you should take a look at Intel's and AMD's newest line of processors--the Intel Core Duo and AMD's AM2 processors. If you want to go for 64-bit computing, then it's your choice. However, I don't think that the time for 64-bit systems is now. Maybe in the next 5 years or so, 64-bit systems will become the norm. Until then, you might want to consider 32-bit processors rather than the 64-bit ones. By the way, Core Duo is only 32-bit and the benchmark results are very impressive.
yfccluster6
lSaKenl wrote:

Ty

You should buy Athlon XP 64 and i am currently have that and it supports 64bit computing systems and is much cheaper and faster than Intel...

If you want Intel, buy one that has Intel EM64 Technology...
jrs32
I know for a fact that Ununtu Linux has an install disk for a 64-bit PC. I have a few of them. Go to their website and either download the .iso and burn it yourself, or have them send yo usome for free!
Ranfaroth
Yes, GNU/Linux had 64b support much before Windows© for instance...

But djclue917 is a little wrong : the most portable OS is NetBSD, but who cares Wink
Animal
As stated above, Linux does support 64bit processing. There is already an AMD vs Intel thread here - please have a read there for some more opinions and continue your discussion there if you want to.

Have a nice day Smile

-close-