FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

NMap Null Scan

Vlien
I did some research on this again before posting, but the concept isn't clear to me yet. Who runs this application? What's it used for? Negative purposes only? I'd like to know this, since my Norton is constantly flashing a message about this, that somebody is trying to attack my computer by using the NMap Null Scan...
muggle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nmap
http://insecure.org/nmap/
alienjones
Null scan is just a little piece in os-fingerprinting. As the name "null" scan already implies, no flags are set on packages. This is a method to trick firewall-filters. Microsoft OS (Widnows 9x,NT,2k) do not apply to standards in this point (as e.g. also for UDP), so this method remains without effect on them. BUT: On successfull FIN, Xmas and Null Scan an attacker knows that the scanned system is NOT a Windows OS.
RiCtee
The post above might be too hard to understand. So...

Vlien wrote:
Who runs this application?

Absolutely anyone with a computer and the program - NMap (stands for "Network Mapper") can run it.
Vlien wrote:
What's it used for?

It's a security sorta program, same group as anti-virus programs, etc. It scans the internet to find computers that's connected online, find open ports, and all those security techie stuff.
Vlien wrote:
Negative purposes only?

Not really. The bad guys and good guys use it. It depends on what to use it for.

Basically, there's nothing to worry about. Norton has probably blocked the attack, no harm done. Very Happy
Vlien
RiCtee wrote:
The post above might be too hard to understand. So...

LOL! Haha, thanks a lot! I absolutely hadn't got a clue what he was talking about! Cool now I kinda do, ... :p
anthonygerbils
Nmap is a Hacker tool used by ethical hackers or malicious hackers so it could be anyone using it as its a free software and hackers everywhere use it .

"Nmap is a free security scanner written by Fyodor. It is used to evaluate the security of computers, and to discover services or servers on a computer network."