FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How does linux work ?

sathiyasri
Does linux fedora or any linux platform need programming knowledge because I have used windows 2003 for dedicated server but never used linux and lots of people here suggest me to use linux so im asking for suggestiong how does linux work, just the basic, like does it require u to know programming or what ?
Stubru Freak
sathiyasri wrote:
Does linux fedora or any linux platform need programming knowledge because I have used windows 2003 for dedicated server but never used linux and lots of people here suggest me to use linux so im asking for suggestiong how does linux work, just the basic, like does it require u to know programming or what ?

Nope.
If you get a GUI (Graphical User Interface) distribution (like fedora and almost anything else), it'll be just like Windows.
If you get a CLI (Command Line Interface) distribution (don't know of one, but they should exist), it'll be like DOS, only more powerful.
badai
just make sure your hardware is supported. if you bought your server more than a year ago, most distro will have driver for your hardware.
{name here}
Stubru Freak wrote:
sathiyasri wrote:

Nope.
If you get a GUI (Graphical User Interface) distribution (like fedora and almost anything else), it'll be just like Windows.
If you get a CLI (Command Line Interface) distribution (don't know of one, but they should exist), it'll be like DOS, only more powerful.

All distrobutions have the ability to shutoff the GUI and go to a CLI mode.
Stubru Freak
{name here} wrote:
Stubru Freak wrote:
sathiyasri wrote:

Nope.

All distrobutions have the ability to shutoff the GUI and go to a CLI mode.

Yes, but I mean that most will boot into GUI by default, so it'll seems just like Windows.
lSaKenl
Quote:

you dont need programming knowdelge if that is what worried you.
you want it for a server? if you do, i'd suggest Slackware, it has the CLI by default, but once you login you just type

Code:
startx

and it runs the default window manager

If you gonna work there i'd suggest you choose X Free Cholesterol Enviroment for the default window manager, if not, choose fluxbox, it runs faster, GNOME is also good, just like KDE, but XFCE runs apps for both of them ^^
corey
Actually, if you have installed Windows of any flavor, then you're already well on your way. The operating system is a lot easier, for the most part, to install. There are a few distros out there which can get you up and running with about 4 mouse clicks.