FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

losing weight

Hobbit
I'm actually still 'slim', but I liked the way I was like before. So far what I'm doing is only eating twice a day, and stop eating once I think I'm full (instead of continuing to eat just to not throw away the food). I also exercise about 3 times a week, and skateboard about 3 times a week as well. Is this healthy or should I try something new?
myworld
No you are not eating healthily.

You should be eating consistently throughout the day and you should never eat more than is necessary ie when you feel full stop. There is a simple way to stop the feeling of not wanting to throw food away learn to put on the plate what you need and not fill it for the sake of it.

Not eating consistently or skipping meals actually confuses your body as it thinks it is a famine and this will actually hang onto the fat stores as it doesn't know when its next meal is coming.

Exercising 3 times a week plus other physical activity requires certain demands of your body which need feeding and starving your body of these needs will only lead to atrofication (wasting away) of your muscle. If you are not active generally each day then 5 days of at least 30 mins exercise is required for good cardio health. If you do other forms of physical activity then 3 times a week is more than adequate.

If you eat consistently and with mainly healthy food choices (yes you are allowed to eat foods considered unhealthy just so long as they aren't the bulk of your diet) and exercise sensibly then you will never have to worry about your weight as you will be at your perfect weight.

Enjoy living and stop worrying about something you clearly don't need to.
Hobbit
Thanks a lot for that info, it was very helpful. I stopped worrying about losing weight today, but now I'm just going to maintain it by not eating fast food and all that other junk.

Thanks again.
benjmd
Healthy lifestyle comes down to some pretty simple things, it's just difficult sometimes to first start incorporating them into your lifestyle:

1) Balance calories in (food eaten) vs. calories out (energy expended depending on your daily activity) -

This can be hard to judge without actually calculating that. But someone told you not to calorie count right? That's the person that actually had two servings of pie instead of one, or an extra 500 calories (once a day for a week and you'll gain a pound). Once you get to understand how big servings are and how much you need, you don't have to notate every single thing, but you get a much better gestalt than before you started counting.

2) Exercise -

Activity is important for maintaining your body. Cardiovascular exercise (heart rate about 60% of maximal [220 - your age = maximal HR]) three to five times a week for about 20-30 minutes at a time protects your heart, makes you function better, and protects against diabetes. Weight training helps the strength of your bones as well as your muscles, reducing osteoporosis and preventing more injuries during other activities. Calisthenics and stretching maintain our joints and physiques for daily activities.

3) Eating wisely -

Vegetables, fruits, poultry, dairy, etc all have important nutrients and should get some priority among the things contributing to your "calories in" each day.

It's good to remember that most metabolic tricks (eating twice a day makes your body think it is starving, eating no carbs helps burn fat, etc) usually only produce any significant difference in the extreme, when it is threatening your health, and seldom make for feasible long term health plans.

4) Don't smoke. Dude. Really now.
lukeropro
Exercising 3 times a week is not enough dude. You should exercise at least 5 times a week and stay off fast food. They caused me to become what I am now and I'm so miserable... Sad
xeszline
Though not eating is the fastest way to lose weight, it's not healthy to do it, especially if it's in the case that your body could still grow vertically up. If I may suggest,
eat 4-6 times a day, but in small portions. Eat vegetables and fruits mainly, not rice/ potatoes/ meat. We do need meat and carbs, but adjust to what you need in a day. Like if you're not doing anything, really, don't eat too much potatoes/ rice/ noodles. It's better to eat fruits and veggies. They make you feel full faster.

Vitamins and minerals are needed in small amounts in our body but they really give us effects. People could get constipation if they lack of fibers from veggies and fruits..

It worked on me and my skin got really nice when I eat less, much much less meat and carbs-loaded stuff and change it to veggies and fruits. I don't say we must change it to vegetarian/ vegan style. Just less meat and carbs and more veggies&fruit. Oh, and also water. Drink a lot to replace the loss of water, especially when doing exercises/ sports.
thealpha
I faced the same problems for three years, I think the only method for you to prevent losing the weight is "rest", you must rest more so the you can absorb the nutrients and inturns leading the increment of weight.
Please note that eating too much fact or carbonhydrate can not solve the problems or even worsen the cases.
Hobbit
Damn this is harder than I thought, thanks for the info guys.
poiko123
I eat 4-5 times a day. Not huge nor starving myself...buts its excercise! Just go run a mile or more every day and do a few sittups and pushups. If you have to start out at a walk or a jog...do so. Don't worry about speed. My recommendation is do the same distance and gradually bring your speed up. For sittups and pushups do 5 more than each previous work out. Eat carbs before working out (a meal 90 minutes of perhaps pasta is optimal). Workouts burn carbs. After workout meals are important and should consitst of protein (assuming you are wishing to build muscle tone as well). By eating protein your body helps rebuild and increase your muscles that were "broken down" during the work out. Try to eat at least 15g of protein with 30 minutes of working out. If you are looking purely to lose some extra pounds...then a longer slower paced workout is more beneficial. If you are looking to build up muscle a faster paced, more strenous work out is in order. Just a few suggestions....hope they helped Very Happy
ryukenden
I need more information.

I would like to know about your height and your current weight. Also how much is your ideal weight? I also like to know your typical daily eating pattern. What type of diet for example do you include meat, vegetable and how much of each.

You mentioned that you have been exercising and I like to know how long do you usually exercise.

Have you ever tried laxatives or other slimming medicatioins to lose weight? Have you ever tried to vomit yourself after eating to avoid gaining weight?

Do you have any other physical problems such as thyroid problems (have you ever tested thyroid function test?)
screamingdecay
I also need information, supposeily I need to be 50 Pounds lighter for my age and height.

I am 6'8 and 253 Pounds. BMI around 25.6

Health weight zone for age and height - 177-220 Pounds. Any suggestions, I am going start running on the Tred. For 20 Min then step it up in a week to 30 and try to limited the sweets I eat >_< SO GOOD! lolo. I'm not "fat" "fat" just a big cubby on the front and face..
ddgenconst
My mother swears by Gilad. You can see him on digital cable on FitTV. He comes on in the mornings around 5:30 am central, and in the evenings, I think somewhere around 9 or 10 central. Seems to be working for me, too. She had three kids, each 1 year apart, and between each pregnancy she did Gilad and was back into her jeans by the time she was pregnant again, and she was a thin, good looking woman. She is 5'6 and when we were kids 135 lbs was heavy for her. She's still very good looking, and we're both doing Gilad now. I've toned up and slimmed down some, and have only been doing it for 2 weeks, 3-4 times a week. We also eat very healthy, don't snack on junk, but eat lots of fruits and vegetables, especially things like plums, bananas, spinach, pineapple, snap peas, and broccoli. Seems to be working for us! Also, Gilad is a straight-forward guy. He isn't all dancy-aerobics like most of those women with tv shows out there, and he's not at all like Denise Austin. Give him a try. You can also buy his videos.
Aless
Any form of exercise is obviously going to be healthy (as long as you don't over-do it). Basically, anything that gets you up and moving (and your heart pumping!) is going to help you lose weights. There's so many formulas and tricks out there, but it really boils down to having negative calorie intake to lose weight. Exercise kick starts your metabolism and improves cardiovascular health, which is why you will lose more weight faster when you combine a smart diet with exercise.

That said, I love fitness videos & classes! They're so much more entertaining than doing 30 min on a machine. I like to be dynamic with my exercise.
zwlgigi
eat the breakfast as much as u can
then stop to eat after 2pm in the afternoon
Xavier
Eat healthy!
eat whever u feel like, but eat healthy, take less fats & carbohydrates and more of protein, iron& calcium!
The jobs' done!
SGbilder
The best thing for you is to eat more often than two times a day but eat less each time. and dont eat a big portion of food right b4 you go to bet cause the body doesent have time to digest it while you are still awake and burning calories.
traceyy
no that's not healthy. you're missing another meal or three. it's better to eat small portions so have a small breakfast, brunch, lunch, snack, and dinner. but remember; small. enough to make you full.
LostOverThere
It is the Protein in foods that will make you feel full, thats why lollies and junk isnt good for you and wont make you feel full at all.

People should be doing at least 30mins of exercise a day, and 1 serve of fastfood a week in considered Heavy Intake, by the Australia and USA Health.
RosyL
one of my friend who is from HK told me that having soup before your meal would make you eat less but still feel full
according to my doctor, at least 30-minute exercise that make you sweat everyday is good enough
Shanghai_Dragon
If you jump rope for 30 minutes, you will lose weight pretty fast. Since when you jump rope, you have to use a lot of muscles in your body. In turn this will increase stanima, muscular endurance, and it will increase your metabolism.
bambholebaba
To be healthy,u should have a balanced diet, regular excercise and good thoughts in the mind ! A balanced diet should contain all of carbohydrate , ptotein, fat, minerals , vitamins , and fibre. and excercise should comprise both of airobic and straining . As far as the thoughts are concerned, u just practice not to be angry and try to control emotional panics.
You have not mentioned your weight and hight, but if u think u should loose weight , u have to spend more energy than u consume, and that is the only way !! For this u may take the help of The great encient Indian science, The YOGA. The special benifit of practicing YOGASANAS is that it keeps u fit even u are a bit over weight. Best of luck !!!!
Tvis
I wanted to lose weight as well. I looked up a lot of information on the internet because I love eating, I adore candy and chocolate, and I really am no a diet type of guy. But fortunately I found a way. It is mentioned before. You need to eat....it sounds unbelievable, but it is true. I now take 5 meals in a day. the normal breakfast, lunch and supper and 2 times "snacks". The snacks are not really snacks, they are like fruit or a bread or anything. I'm actually losing weight, about 1 kilo a week. It is not fast but it is healthy. I don't suffer, I eat everything I want. It works for me. It's great. Ok, I do sport, 3 times 10 kilometers running and 2 times mountainbiking...So I guess without the sports it would not work...
raaeft1
I am obese weighing 89 kilograms with a height of 5feet four inches.
I feel that having adequate sleep/naps throughout a 24-hour span may help in reducing weight gradually.
Also, a doctor has advised me to take DXN Spiruline capsules, six per day,along with DXN Ganoderma products to reduce my weight.
I feel that one must eat throughout the day and drink lots of water.
Doing small chores is helpful in reducing weight as you are on the move instead of sitting or lying down.
D.Nikolov
raaeft1 wrote:
...I feel that one must eat throughout the day and drink lots of water.
Doing small chores is helpful in reducing weight as you are on the move instead of sitting or lying down.

Quite wright. In order to stay healthy, on must eat three times a day. But the things that you're eating are very important. It's true that the breakfast is the most important meal of the day. But eating sandwiches and so on isn't a good meal. Some fruits and a protein stick with milk are enough to get you going.
In lunchtime you shouldn't eat fat meals with a lot of butter and so. A good chicken soup and chicken wings could be a well arranged and tasty meal.
And in fact doing home chores does burn quite a lot of calories. Small things like using the vacuum cleaner and washing the dishes can waste as much as 300 ca Wink
benjmd
raaeft1 wrote:
I am obese weighing 89 kilograms with a height of 5feet four inches.
I feel that having adequate sleep/naps throughout a 24-hour span may help in reducing weight gradually.
Also, a doctor has advised me to take DXN Spiruline capsules, six per day,along with DXN Ganoderma products to reduce my weight.
I feel that one must eat throughout the day and drink lots of water.

I haven't seen any evidence suggesting that spirulina or ganoderma are useful products for weightloss - perhaps just a way to spend too much money. I replied to your post on celiac disease with some healthy suggestions. If you want to be a healthy weight - you need to eat good foods, drink plenty of water, and get exercise. Ultimately, you need to burn more calories each day than you take in. You and your physician should discuss what your daily diet is and how much activity you get, then brainstorm ways to get more activity and replace or eliminate poor dietary choices.
marcmgeronimo
dieting means not eating or forcing yourself not to eat. dieting means eating the right kinds of food and matching it to your lifestyle. The common misconception on dieting is not eating which creates a health risks like ulcers, bolemia and other diseases. For me to gain weight or to loose weight should be properly evaluated. Activities to do this should be consulted to a practitioner, experts or at least do some research first.
creezalird
It seems that nowadays there is no more joy in eating..Why are we eating actually..?
To be more alive?
Or so that we still breathing?
budiman
I am little bit chubby, over weight in fact. I am used to be 85kg and 165mm height.

However recently I manage to reduce some kg, reaching 80kg. After that I can not reduce my weight further.

I play tennis now. It helps a lots. I hope finally I can reach the ideal healthy body weight.

I wish this helps.
johnsonap
I hate trying to lose weight, i find it so hard its unbelieveable.

I used to play football twice a week, i was then diagnosed with Arthritus in both knees. Tried to continue with my football, but through the winter my arthritus kills me after two hours of football, and through the summer very little football is played.

As for eatting, i have lunch and dinner, along with a bit of fruit or snacks through the day.

started swimming last week, although felt shattered after about 20mins and have joined the gym, where i am due to do my induction tonight.

Any advice on what will help me?
qbanmom5
Does anyone on here do weight watchers? I would like a buddy! I started doing it once but I didn't stick with it. I had twins 6 months ago (total of 5 kids) and I would like to lose 20-25 pounds. How long do u all think that would take? I don't have much time to exercise, seriously. I sleep like 3 hours total a night as it is and I work. Terri
palavra
Hobbit wrote:
I'm actually still 'slim', but I liked the way I was like before. So far what I'm doing is only eating twice a day, and stop eating once I think I'm full (instead of continuing to eat just to not throw away the food). I also exercise about 3 times a week, and skateboard about 3 times a week as well. Is this healthy or should I try something new?

it seems you do well enough
don't get obsessed more. Wink
Evgenia
To eat twice a day is unnormally, i think. Also as not to eat at all.
All dietologs recommend to eat several times a day, but a little bit of food for 1 time. you also must say "no" to piquant souses and food with it (for ex., chinese or korean food. This kind of food make you eat more and more, 'cause appetite is higher and higher while you're eating that), sugar, candies, items from baker's shops etc. And, of course, you must forget junk food ( i mean pop corn, mc donald's and other fast food)

It'll be very good for your body and self-feeling to eat different kinds of fruites (except bananas and grapes), vegetables (except corn, fried potatoes) porridge, soups, none fat sorts of meat or fish ( forget about pork and lard).
1. You may eat vegetables and fruites as much as you want..
2. Soups and porridge may be eatten less than food from 1-st point
3. Meat and fish is allowed but these items must be eatten leat of all foods, i've listed above ( only 3-4 times a week).
Also you need to drink 1-1.5 litres of water or green tea.

i think, this is health habits in eatings. And you'll be in good sport form:)
I've read, you go in for sport 3 times a week. It's an ideal variant, i think, and there is no need to train more times a week.

If you'll have any questions, let me know and answer! I know many useful things about diets and health life.
peaceninja
for me i try to eat frequently throughout the day, small things, and i also drink a lot of green tea (mixed with honey and lime) and i take fiber choice fiber pills (as an appetite suppressor, and also fiber is extremely good for you!). If i'm still hungry after eating a couple of fiber pills, i try to drink water or sometimes i simply indulge myself in food since i feel sometimes my body really is telling me its time for more food! i also take vitamin E, gingko biloba and fish oil pills, including a multivitamin, so i'm not usually worried that i dont get enough nutrients. i feel really good and ive kept off weight that i had gained right after i graduated college, there's not a worse feeling in the world to me than having a 'gut'...i remember i used to have to put a pillow on my stomach when i went to sleep because i could not sleep seeing my stomach stick out there.

i admit though that i need to exercise more! and I cant stress the importance of this enough.
The3dx
As one that was Fat Boy...i was 85-90Kg
and now i'm 65-70Kg
All you need to do is alot of runing...play alot of basketball
do it every day!!
you can eat normal...
just not alot of sweets....

i remove 20KG in 1.5 month...
and that was very easy!
the hard part is to keep on this...

just do alot of eroby....that is the secret
vynes18
Well, i'm 95kg at first then drink herbalife and lost 10kg at the first month.
Very amazing result, and no side effect at all.

Herbalife is a healty product, can loss weight, gain weight and improve health. You should try it out.
SGbilder
Hobbit wrote:

You shuold eat small portions every three-four hours. That would keep your bloodsugar balanced and keeps the metabolism up at the same "pace" all day. Eating only two times a day is a great way go gain weight..
scarfiegirl
I think losing weight is different for everybody. Some lose weight easily and soome struggle to shed pounds. I've gone on diets that people have lost a lot of weight on and lost a minimal amount. The most important thing is not to go on diets where you are completely limited. - greenlane diet for example. Eating small balanced meals 4-5 times a day works because you increase your metabolism. Exercise is key and any exercise is better than none at all. Finding an exercise you like and want to do alot is really important.
kevin briggs
Weight loss is simple, burn more calories then you consume. If you can fully understand that then you are on your way to losing weight. There are 6 simple steps. Here they are:

1) Count how many calories you eat in a normal day. That's right, wake up, and eat like you would normally eat and count the calories in everything you eat and everything you drink and keep track of it on a piece of paper or on the computer some where. You might be thinking to yourself, "yeah right, I'm not gonna sit around counting calories all day." Well, if you're thinking that, then you're obviously not dedicated enough to losing weight. If this is the case, then feel free to go waste your money on the newest useless weight loss pill. But, if you are dedicated enough to take 10 minutes out of your day and count the calories, then keep on reading.

2) At the end of that day, add up the number of calories you ate/drank. Be as exact as possible. Once you add it all up, you now have the total number of calories you consume daily. Also, weigh yourself.

3) Starting the day after you counted calories, eat 500 calories LESS then you normally do. So, lets pretend that the day you counted calories you counted 2000. For the rest of the week, you would eat 1500 calories a day. Understand? All you have to do is subtract 500 from the total number of calories you consume in a normal day, and eat this new number of calories every day for the next 7 days.

4) Instead of eating 3 big meals a day (breakfast, lunch and dinner), or eating all day all the time, spread those calories out over 5 smaller meals. Eat one meal every 2 and a half to 3 hours. Doing this will speed up your metabolism.

5) Cardio. Cardio is an important part of weight loss. If you're serious about losing weight, but don't want to do the cardio workouts, then you are requiring your diet to do all of the work. Jog, walk, swim, jump rope, ride a bike, take an aerobics class, whatever... cardio + proper diet = better than just doing one of the two. All it takes is 30 minutes a day, 3 - 5 days a week. I say 3-5 days a week because I don't know if you have 5 pounds to lose, or if you have 50 pounds to lose. So, depending on how much your looking to lose, figure it out. 3 times a week is good starting point though. (For information on the most effective time of the day to do your cardio workout, read doing cardio for maximum weight loss)

6) At the end of that week, weigh yourself. You'll notice a difference just after one week! Now, don't expect to see a 20 pound difference. Losing anymore then 1 or 2 pounds a week is unhealthly. So look for a 1 or 2 pound weight loss at the end of the week. Don't sound like much? You can lose 5-8 pounds a month! That's around 75lbs a year! So if you have A LOT of weight to lose, you can lose it. If have just a few pounds to lose, you can lose it.
ronb
I found the best way to lose weight is portion control and not eating after 7pm. I don't like exercising so the best way for me to lose weight is to control what I eat.

The best part of portion controlling is I allow myself to eat what ever I want, I just have to make sure it's not excessive. So if I'm going to have pizza for dinner I'll eat 2 slices max instead of 4 or 5 pieces.

Not eating after 7pm is also a big part of it. Snacking in front of the TV with a bag of chips is what I like to do, but the pounds can add up quickly. Eating before bed is just a bad idea. All of the callories that you eat before bed will just be stored as fat while you sleep.
violetgnu
Things that don't work:
Not eating at all. <-- did this, but not by choice. Student. Hard times, etc.
I didn't lose weight, just all my energy.
altikris
portion control is a great way to lose weight. But you know whats better? Only eat what is good for you. Don't eat potato chips. Don't eat fatty snacks. Don't eat oily greasy foods. Don't eat processed foods.

Don't eat anything that you don't make yourself, Fresh!

You'll see a big difference in your attitude, and your appearance if you don't eat out at restaurants, if you don't eat fast food, or anything like that. Buy your own food from the supermarket, and make all of your meals yourself.

Don't add salt as well. Salt is the one ingredient in foods, that can be missed, but you should see how great you will look after not eating salt for a couple of weeks. Your body doesnt retain water anymore, and your actual features start to stand out more.

Take my advice, and let me know if I helped. Krisrx7@yahoo.com
creezalird
I'm currently the type of person that stay a lots throughout the night..so I usually take heavy meal for dinner and for the whole day I only eat 2-4 slices of bread with any paste...so after about 5 month I lost around 10kg from my weight...quite impressive I think..I just need to lose 5 kg more to reach 65kg ....that would be the most ideal BMI for me...
pilljame
Yes eating wisely like eating vegetables, fruits, poultry, dairy, etc all have important nutrients and should get some priority among the things contributing to your "calories in" each day....

Smile
deanhills
scarfiegirl wrote:
I think losing weight is different for everybody. Some lose weight easily and soome struggle to shed pounds. I've gone on diets that people have lost a lot of weight on and lost a minimal amount. The most important thing is not to go on diets where you are completely limited. - greenlane diet for example. Eating small balanced meals 4-5 times a day works because you increase your metabolism. Exercise is key and any exercise is better than none at all. Finding an exercise you like and want to do alot is really important.
I agree with this completely. Also, we may follow one diet and lose weight on it, and maybe after a few months, stop losing weight, and actually gain weight on the same diet. Our bodies are changing all the time, and if it gets the same nutrients all the time, may not need it, and then put it into fat. Change is key in diet, eating a wide variety of different "healthy" foods. Doing a variety of exercises that we enjoy, exercising a wide variety of muscles.
mshafiq
Do not take tension just relax.After having a baby it will take at least one year that you will have your normal weight.As you said you have five kids you will be slim very fast.just takecare of your self, and be happy.
Benton
Nutritional supplements are needed in a small amount in our body but they really give us effects, People could get bowel problems if they lack of materials from fruits and veggies and fresh vegetables.....