FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Format and ... ups ...

Tvis
Ok...this must sound familiar. Your computer is acting weird, very slow or things happen when you are not doing anything. Sounds like formatting the computer, don't you think? Ok...well at least I did. But first....prepare yourself. Writing down what yo need to install later on...passwords, mail archives, etc...when you think you have everything arranged...put important archives in a safe place...LET'S GO...

And then you realise...my digital fotos...OMG...I forgot to archive some fotos. Half of it is on a disc...but the other half is now gone...

SO...is there anything I can do about that??? are there programs available that can recover fotos??? I imagine not...I cannot imagine after a format that there is anything recoverable...but if there is someting..please let me know.
looksbad
Nope after a complete reformatt nothing is recoverable... The hardrive uses complex overwriting methods and makes many passes over the same file.. so your files are gone

Ive done this before but now ive got 3 hardrives (74gb Raptor) and a 250 GB Barracuda and a 300GB Drive.. Ive got them in a "raid" setup which atm the Raptor hardrive holds games and the operating system. and The Barracuda hold music photos all else.. But the 3rd one is backing eveything up as its going along so if one drive fails or gets attacked by a virus. I will reformatt 2 hardrive and not refomat the 3rd. untill i know everything is ok.. there is no slowdown of speed whilst it is backing up you dont notice it.. But ofcourse its expensive..

Or a simple way.. remember back it all up!
ezekiel_rage
Tvis wrote:
Ok...this must sound familiar. Your computer is acting weird, very slow or things happen when you are not doing anything. Sounds like formatting the computer, don't you think? Ok...well at least I did. But first....prepare yourself. Writing down what yo need to install later on...passwords, mail archives, etc...when you think you have everything arranged...put important archives in a safe place...LET'S GO...

And then you realise...my digital fotos...OMG...I forgot to archive some fotos. Half of it is on a disc...but the other half is now gone...

SO...is there anything I can do about that??? are there programs available that can recover fotos??? I imagine not...I cannot imagine after a format that there is anything recoverable...but if there is someting..please let me know.

There is still something that you can do to recover your files after a reformat. Unless you wiped your hard drive you can still recover files.

What format does is just reset the partition table.

There are a lot of utilities that you can use to recover files.

You can download the universal boot CD since it contains a lot of utilities that you really cant do without.

Test disk a very nice partition tool that can recover lost partitions. but once you recover a partition you would in effect revert your hard dirve to its state before you did a reformat.

you can also try to use a windows based utitlity named restoration. [url ]http://www.snapfiles.com/get/restoration.html[/url] but you can only reach a veryt little section of your deleted files.

I'm a bit busy righ now so i'll get back at you.

For now try not to put any more files in your har drive so as not to over write the sectors that contains your previous data. So that you can be assured of a higher rate of recovery success.

Hope this helps