FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

cant delete files

Saber
Hey, well I was cleaning out one of the computers I work with due to the user copyed too much music to it.. filling the drive.

Anyways, I cleaned up about 1.4 gb of other junk and then started to move to the music.

This is where I dont understand. Im in the root admin and cant delete a 3mb file...
Why? becuase it says to check if the disk is full or if the files are write protected. the files as far as I can tell are not write protected and with 1.4gb of space, I should be able to have enough disk space to delete one file..

Any ideas out there?
muggle
It depends on the operating system but if you’re using Windows you can verify two things:
1. Security settings and the ownership for these files if applicable
2. If the names of these files are correctly accepted by the operating system. It happens, especially when you’re downloading files from internet their names to contain characters which are invalid for Windows and some applications refuse to work with such files;
SFMeatwad
Boot up in Safe mode and delete.

How to boot in safe mode
Saber
oh well, thanks for the help, but I dont care anymore. Im done for the summer(er for the end of it) So, Ill let the new intern figure it out.
But thanks again for helping.

-saber
Jaan
Glad you figured it out Wink /or not.
alexchan28
you can also try to boot in to command mode(Recovery Console), and delete it
nhuabo
1:Change the properties to not read only.Then try to delete it.
2:Rename the file if you can.Try again.
3:Stop the explore.exe in the taskmanger then start it and try again.
4:Stop some other programs in task manger which is associated with that file.
5:With the help of Killbox,it can delete nearly every file in windows.
shwetanshu
u can also try a freeware called UNLOCKER an then use dat to delete that file or such files
izcool
I know with some files that you want to delete might be running in the background, which you have to close out before deleting it. You enter the Task Manager by right-clicking the taskbar (or pressing Control + Alt + Delete) and going to Task Manager. Click to the "Processes" tab and find the name of the file you want to delete (this generally only applies to program files, not a song file or a picture file), close it out, and try to delete it. This happened to me a couple of times before.

- Mike.
mundodaradio
Try Dr. Delete : is a software that deletes files even if Windows refuses to erase them. Is a simple tool but is very efficient to remove dust in the hard disk when Windows denies cleaning of some files... Dr. Delete is freeware!
Arkan
Hehe, or you can try GiPo@FileUtilities ,,, I think this one is the best...
Quake
Hmm, was having same problem on my 2tb array a couple of months back, at first i thought winXP just didnt like the size of the volume - but now it has spread to all my drives Crying or Very sad . Anyway after some investigation i found out that winlogon.exe was locking these files (apperently randomly) this by the way effects all extensions, but avi's and mp3's in particular; don't know why. Hmm, I thought winlogon was for loging on your machine and handling permisions... oh well maybee not. Furter more after realizing that ending this process would bring on a Blue Screen of Death on any machine i tried this on, i tried deleting the files IMEDIATELLY on startup in both safe and regular mode, what happened - it let me delete but WINDOWS PUT IT RIGHT BACK AND LOCKED IT Mad Mad Mad !!!! Serious case of GRRR!!! I have Norton on all of my machines - all of them do this and it does not report anything wrong (i have legit versions of 2006 and 2007 installed) Posting this after reading the above - I will go ahead and post an update after trying the above apps - but regardless windows should NOT be doing this.

Update ---> Tried Delete Doctor on the files, it said they were 'not found'. Tried Unlocker on one, worked perfectly, AND it somehow 'Fixed' the entire system. It appears the these 'so called files' were actually deleted / moved files that didn't "register" in the system. I thought it was funny - i move a folder full of music or movies and a few remain behind refusing to be deleted - or cough up the disk space. Several reboots later the mysteriously dissapear never to bother me again, Anyone know what could cause someting like this?
fadirocks
Quake wrote:
Hmm, was having same problem on my 2tb array a couple of months back, at first i thought winXP just didnt like the size of the volume - but now it has spread to all my drives Crying or Very sad . Anyway after some investigation i found out that winlogon.exe was locking these files (apperently randomly) this by the way effects all extensions, but avi's and mp3's in particular; don't know why. Hmm, I thought winlogon was for loging on your machine and handling permisions... oh well maybee not. Furter more after realizing that ending this process would bring on a Blue Screen of Death on any machine i tried this on, i tried deleting the files IMEDIATELLY on startup in both safe and regular mode, what happened - it let me delete but WINDOWS PUT IT RIGHT BACK AND LOCKED IT Mad Mad Mad !!!! Serious case of GRRR!!! I have Norton on all of my machines - all of them do this and it does not report anything wrong (i have legit versions of 2006 and 2007 installed) Posting this after reading the above - I will go ahead and post an update after trying the above apps - but regardless windows should NOT be doing this.

Update ---> Tried Delete Doctor on the files, it said they were 'not found'. Tried Unlocker on one, worked perfectly, AND it somehow 'Fixed' the entire system. It appears the these 'so called files' were actually deleted / moved files that didn't "register" in the system. I thought it was funny - i move a folder full of music or movies and a few remain behind refusing to be deleted - or cough up the disk space. Several reboots later the mysteriously dissapear never to bother me again, Anyone know what could cause someting like this?

Are you using NTFS or FAT32 volume? you might have access error when Notron scanning these files and keeps a lock on them

I don't really trust any other AV application except for Avira http://free-av.com I've been it using for over maybe 4 years! I do have some delete files problems but your Raid setup might be causing things that Windows can't understand or handle properly btw what's your RAID setup?
also any Drivers update also if there is chance to check the RAID integrity

if you're moving from one hard drive to another don't trust the move function instead use copy first then delete the files sometimes stupid windows tries to preview an avi or grap ID3 tag on MP3 and totally locks on it!

I wouldn't trust Windows to have any type of array because Windows is still relatively new to this technology unlike UNIX/Linux that been doing it since day one of array creation
internetjobs
if some exe file on that folder may be in active.. go to process and kill the process that u dont want...
corey
Looks like this problem is now academic, but I did have a problem like this not long ago with video files. Turns out that the file gets loaded for a preview in Windows Explorer. A quick registry hack fixed it (and I can explore my computer so much faster now as well. Very Happy The fix can be found at this person's site: http://personal-computer-tutor.com/abc3/v31/vic31.htm