FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Healthy eating

fionab
There is so much out there these days that it is hard to keep up. What are your views on a healthy eating and life style.
Do you find you do not have time?
Is it too expensive?
Or do you think it is all a fad?

Then my next question will be what is your best advice or info that you can share on the subject?
Coclus
I eat what I get! Well I`m lucky, I`m nevertheless athletic and lean...
xeszline
Healthy eating?

My personal idea of healthy eating is about vegetables and fruits. If you eat too much meat and carbs, that won't be healthy. Of course we still need them but without vegetables and fruits we're smacked!

Some people say that we shouldn't eat more than 80% full. It's better to stop eating before we feel full. Chewing a lot helps our digestive system to work better. Because a part of the digestion already done in the mouth: mechanical digestion (though a small part of enzymatic digestion also happened in the mouth) and later enzymatic digestion from the stomach and so on.
Our body needs sometime before it could tell the mind that we're already full. So it really is better to stop eating before we're full.
Because about 15-20 minutes later we'll realize that we're already eating enough for the time.

For lifestyle?
Balanced diet and activities are the two main keys of happy and healthy living. Sleeping less doesn't mean unhealthy. It depends to the people. As long as you're accustomed to a particular pattern (like only 5 hours sleeping), you won't get sick because it's already a pattern cycling in the body. Getting 8 hours sleep in a day doesn't mean that it's enough, sometimes you could sleep 8 hours a day but you get headache and only slept for 4 hours but feel refreshed..
supposing
Regarding expense. . .

There's no such thing as a free lunch, or a cheap lunch.

Everything takes its price -- if not in $$$, then in its toll on your health and/or the environment.
thealpha
I think healthy eating must satisfy at least two conditions.
First of all, you need to have a good and regular eating habit. For example, you can maintain the time to eat from day to day and also keep the same number of meals for each day.
Secondly, you must have a balanced diet, which means you can obtain difference nutrients in suitable amount, it is a very professional approach that to measure you nutrients in the diet. But at least you should made sure you have enough vitamins, protein, carbonhydrate and cellulose.
LadyAngel
Healty Eating... Would be not always grabbing a bag of chips when you feel the urge to eat.. not always choosing the same old hamburger with super sized fries and drink...
it would mean .. going for carrot sticks or celery sticks when you feel the urge to snack.. instead of grabbing the same # 3 off the menu go a little different and grab a salad 3 or 4 times a week or hell even 2 days.. would make a difference.. cut back on the red meats.. eat more fruits and veggies.. you dont have to eat the cooked ones.. you can eat the raw ones... and never forget the exercise.. the all important factor in healty.. now .. there not saying everyday all day .. just 3 or 4 times a week for around an hour.. working cardio and everything..

cut back on the candy and sweets intake.. sugar lvls can be gotten from the fruits.. dont forget water.. water is the best to help with getting and staying healthy
zwlgigi
asian food is quite heath
fionab
After having lost 17 kg since June this year I have had alot of people ask me what had I done. So I have started updating my bolg with the details. PM me if you want a link. I prefer not to post to keep the the trolls out Wink
marcmgeronimo
I think what stops me from eating right is that I really don't have the time to prepare. I usually would maximize my time in resting than preparing food in the morning. The food is not that cheap nor it is that expensive too. There are cheap sources of healthy food so i guess i stick to that. =)
fionab
Well I am now 25 kg down and can honestly say that the simple food preperation is what has ensured my sucess and ensuring that I always eat something 3 times a day that way keeping hunger at bay.
mstreet
I am more about the You Are What You Eat philosophy 80% good 20% bad, I find once you get into routine the time excuse becomes non-existent. I think it's all about time. I really enjoying cooking I find it relaxes me after a hard day of work. One thing I have also started is meal planning for the week. I buy my groceries just for the week and there is only 2 of us so we don't have any waste. I do stock up on things but veggies and fruit are definitly a weekly thing. I'm also not scared of trying new things and have for the first time in my life started eating onions. I use to hate them but now I am starting to like them. It's just taking the first step and saying I'm going to do this. When I do crave fastfood though I do go and get it but only once a week if needed.
moworks2
fionab wrote:
There is so much out there these days that it is hard to keep up. What are your views on a healthy eating and life style.
Is it too expensive?

Then my next question will be what is your best advice or info that you can share on the subject?

After two angioplasties and having four stents put in my heart I gave up all milk products. I was already vegetarian. Now I'm close to vegan, not quite. I also bought this great book called Reversing Heart Disease by Dean Ornish. It offers lots of good recipes which are all vegetarian.

I don't think eating well costs more. Fresh vegetables, fruit, rice, some cereals, soy yogurt, rice milk or oat milk,...pasta, tofu...it's not that expensive. I also add flaxseed, yeast, cinammon, and other spices to my foods. The one thing that really kills me is a few pills I have to take. Man, they tire me sometimes.

I never eat packaged food anymore. I drink plenty water and use decaf tea or coffee. Never soda or sweet drinks like that. Once in a while I'll have some orange juice or something but it's rare. I do eat eggs once a week...

How can eating well be a fad? I don't understand that. Whatever...good luck with your eating habits...

M
defnet
WOW!!! 25 Kilos is alot.
Anyways I don't really have a healthy diet because of where I work.
I work in a mine and stay there for 2 weeks in that time they feed us mostly with fastfood. They cook for about 500 ppl so they don't really care about healthy but about fast and efficient.
I do practice everyday.
I play basketball and I goto the gym. Per day I do approximately 2 hrs of physical activity.
When Im back home for 1 week, I do eat healthy because when I have low iron in my blood I feel dizzy. Therefore I have to eat alot of veggies.
bassman
I really think the old saying of "everything in moderation" is key. Having an ice cream sundae one day is not going to kill you- even if you are trying to lose weight. But if you have one every day, it won't exactly help your figure. There are also all sorts of ways to keep your amount of eating down. If you go to a Christmas party, eat a salad with very little calories beforehand so that you're less tempted to pig out on chips at the party. Also, keep your hands full. If you have something in each hand, you're less likely to eat as much even if you're near the food. But really, as long as you don't go overboard on anything in particular and make sure you get a decent amount of foods with necessary vitamins, you're bound to be healthy. Especially with this holiday season coming up, it's difficult, but there are plenty of ways to make it through without ruining your figure.
Olifantus
I might be a traing freak but ok..
Almost evrything i eat is from Helios,
Is it whort all the monney?
Yess i feel sproty and good Razz
c9crystal
It's so difficult to eat healthy, esp with long wprking hours at work.
brevity
The job i'm at currently (office job) has really taken a toll on me because for most of my life I've always relied heavily on my working hours to get great physical activity. I've had manual labor jobs and even if I'm tired I still feel great because of all the exercise I get.

Now, I get almost no exercise. I feel tired most of the time and generally pretty crappy. I don't eat as much as I used to, but I don't burn the calories off efficiently so it's still too much intake vs. too little burning.

I have been eating healthier lately, except for today. I got back from Germany and have all sorts of European candy so today is a free day Smile.
Jeff_vella_leone
fionab wrote:
Is it too expensive?

heh i dont know much on health though im building up my b ody and what u need is fat
makes u build up
on the food thing i eat what i find on the plate from my mom dinner
i dont care much ab out food mostly because i eat al lot ad i never get fat
much people envy me cos of that Smile
fionab
I think I forgot to mention that I work in a chocolate factory. we manufacture all types of choolates and desert ingredients. so hey I really have to have great control. I have worked in the enviroment for 20 years so have found that it does eventually wear off, but I still claim to be a huge chocolholic.
And I am still loosing an average of 1 kg a week so things are still going well on my eating plan.
Jeff_vella_leone
fionab wrote:
I think I forgot to mention that I work in a chocolate factory. we manufacture all types of choolates and desert ingredients. so hey I really have to have great control. I have worked in the enviroment for 20 years so have found that it does eventually wear off, but I still claim to be a huge chocolholic.
And I am still loosing an average of 1 kg a week so things are still going well on my eating plan.

the way u post it seems ur a woman
well loosing 1 kg a week is much sure ur not taking any pills or something
pay attentio not to loose much weit in a short period of time its not good for ur health
well good luck for ur diet then and if u think that chocolate is gonna tempt u think how sexy u would be without eatig the chocolate Wink
fionab
I would have thought you could tell by my avatar that I am a woman??!!
No 1kg a week is not too much and I say this from an educated viewpoint. I have a PhD in Food Science which included dietetics so I know what I am talking about.
BTW what difference does it make that I am a woman - maybe because we are pre-occupied by our weight? Well yes we are but we are genetically predisposed to be and we are more susceptible to fluctuations due to our hormones and such that you lean by genetic code males could never hope to understand.
So what else we want to discuss. How yes men are naturally stronger as your bone structure is denser........bla bla Sorry just ranting and raving due to lack of sleep.

To get to the point, probably a huge key to my secret was that to start with I was over a 30 BMI and am meant to be a 25. As I get close I find the weight lose less dramatic as there is not the huge source of excess fuel for my body to burn it now starts burning what I consume and then I will reach equilibrium and the weight loss will slow down. Remember I reduced my kJ intake by 50% so quite drastic and would have to keep reducing to do that and then I would reach a point where I am not giving my system enough fuel.
Jeff_vella_leone
fionab wrote:
I would have thought you could tell by my avatar that I am a woman??!!
No 1kg a week is not too much and I say this from an educated viewpoint. I have a PhD in Food Science which included dietetics so I know what I am talking about.
BTW what difference does it make that I am a woman - maybe because we are pre-occupied by our weight? Well yes we are but we are genetically predisposed to be and we are more susceptible to fluctuations due to our hormones and such that you lean by genetic code males could never hope to understand.
So what else we want to discuss. How yes men are naturally stronger as your bone structure is denser........bla bla Sorry just ranting and raving due to lack of sleep.

To get to the point, probably a huge key to my secret was that to start with I was over a 30 BMI and am meant to be a 25. As I get close I find the weight lose less dramatic as there is not the huge source of excess fuel for my body to burn it now starts burning what I consume and then I will reach equilibrium and the weight loss will slow down. Remember I reduced my kJ intake by 50% so quite drastic and would have to keep reducing to do that and then I would reach a point where I am not giving my system enough fuel.

lol yes though I cant see avatars, at least not everytime, got some troble with my connection
though i realised your a girl from the way u write and think hahaha
dont take it as an offense though
cos i can see it easy Razz
i refreshed the site a few times to see ur pic
well u have a nice figure in the pic though Razz
and its ovious that u get fat easyly if you don't pay attention to what you eat( from the pic)
im thinner than u Razz and i eat everything it comes espacially chocolate yumyum Razz haha
that was cruel from me though its funny
i like to tease ppl
espacially my cousen that is really fat and he eats less than me hahaha
by the way too you must be very strong to not eat chocolate whilst ur working, i dot think i will resist considering that i allways cry like a kid to my mother for more food every day after having 2 big plates of food
i make her go crasy hahaha
fionab
No offence taken.
Having worked in a chocolate enviroment for many years you get very fussy so I do not eat while I work. I develop chocolate bars and slabs so I am required to test my work, but you do not need to eat very much. What I do on the days I have to test my work is eat less other food. I see all food as just that feul so it doen not matter to me if it is chocies or real food.
Jeff_vella_leone
fionab wrote:
No offence taken.
Having worked in a chocolate enviroment for many years you get very fussy so I do not eat while I work. I develop chocolate bars and slabs so I am required to test my work, but you do not need to eat very much. What I do on the days I have to test my work is eat less other food. I see all food as just that feul so it doen not matter to me if it is chocies or real food.

yep good job and nice strength of will
lol knowing that i eat a lot and everything i chooe a far worse place then a chocolate factory to devour all sorts of deserts
in fact i work in the catering as a waiter part time, in a 4 star hotel.
this hotel is part of a group of hotels under the same owner
and all the deserts of all the hotels are made from my hotel
(i wish it was my hotel though you understood me)
u can immagine how many good varieties of deserds i have to choose from
hehe i think one day the security would start shouting:
'Someone stole all the deserts from the pastery store' Razz
well it came to my mind a few times Razz
palavra
health is to be careful about eating.
-don't eat in a period less tahan 5-6 hours
-stop eating before getting the fealing of full.
zagu
I recently lost about 45 pounds and am feeling the best I have in decades. Here's what works for me:
* No sugar
* No wheat
(at least to get started)
* Lots of water
* focusing my energy else where (like programming)
* Exercise
* Meditation
* Helping others[/list]
benjmd
palavra wrote:
health is to be careful about eating.
-don't eat in a period less tahan 5-6 hours
-stop eating before getting the fealing of full.

In regards to the first point, most nutritional experts would disagree. You should NOT go that long without eating because you will get hungrier and overeat when you do eat. Most physicians and nutritionists recommend eating about 4-6 meals per day, but small meals. If you eat every 4 hours you can eat small amounts and feel satisfied and do less snacking in between.

That being said, there are only TWO things that matter in regards to your eating, no matter WHAT anyone else tries to tell you:

1. Choose healthy items over unhealthy ones (95% lean beef vs. 80% lean beef, fruits instead of potato chips, etc).
2. Consume no more calories in a day than you actually need based on your weight and activity level (here's an example of an instruction for calculating this value: http://www.primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/library/weight/calsburned.htm but be sure to use several as they disagree and you don't want to be lead astray)
arkebuzer
I generally eat
1/3 meat
1/3 carbs (potato or pasta)
1/3 vegitables.

This way Iīm able to get about 1,5 grams of proteine/kg body weight. wich should be enough for quite heavy training.

During weekends I do however sin sometimes with some chips or candy Embarassed
mjohnson
Um,eat fresh apple and orange is benefit to your health.
k10000s
For my body, I eat what my body want, that is what I want to eat Laughing .
I think that I feel eat something if my body need certain nutrition in the food. That is why I eat what I want to. Razz
Guyon
Basically, all it takes to be on a diet is to eat right and excersize. If you get those both balanced equally, you will probably lose weight. I love to run around with my friends. I know people don't think of this as EXCERSIZE, but I have learned you are supposed to walk 10000 steps a day (10 miles). One way to get in the excersize is by just browsing the mall. It could be with a friend too. I have also heard that if you go on a diet with a buddy, you are supposed to get some better results. So, I think YES, there difinately should be time to eat healthy.

No, It is not expensive. I do not go on diets, but I do eat very healthy. I eat balanced meals every day. That means the quality and quantity are to perfect in my body. I have a balanced amount of fruits, veggtables, and everything else neccessary to have a nice balanced meal. If you need a snack, grab veggies. They are a good snack on the road to somewhere, but they are healthy too.

I think it is a fad right now because everyone wants the perfect body, but the question is are they really going to strive for it. Who knows...

All I want to say is I personally feel like a caged bird when I don't get out a lot. Grab a friend, and go take a walk in the park, do something fun. EXCERSIZE doesn't necessarily mean it is hard or boring. YOU are the one who has the choice to make it fun or boring. My friends ask me how I do it. I am dedicated to making my body fit, and trying my hardest to stay fit too. I feel so fresh and ready in the morning too. Trust me. It is worth it. You change completely in the end it attitude wise too.

Of course there are a type of people who go overboard and become as skinny as a twig and get serious diseases. You need to realize and become happy if you are average in weight.

Um... Any questions? Comments? Write back if you need too...
I hope I answered all the questions. If there are any more, comment back.

Rachel Very Happy
pashmina
i eat and eat and at last i work out. i give a prefrence on the yoga classes, which helps me to stay fit.
doing YOGA i can eat anyting
Tatsumaru
Healthy food is much cheaper than crap foods and more satisfying in the long run... that is, if you don't torture yourself with it. If you have a mindset along the lines of: 'man I want to take good care of myself, so I MUST eat healthy foods and restrict myself from the things I crave!' then you're punishing yourself and you won't enjoy it at all, and that's bad. It's a weak mindset that will always lead to you not reaching your goals.

But anyway, taking good care of yourself is cheaper and the way to go / for me, at least.
jeanoradean
Healthy food is:
little meat, but no pork
lots of fruit and vegetables
fibers, so no white flour but whole grain flour
as little fats as possible, but only vegetable oils, not refined. olive oil is the best
no hidrogenated fats
no flavor enhancers or artificial colors[/list]
fionab
Well after following my own plan I am dowm 30kg from when I started in June 2006 and I am maintaining. It really is all about the right choices and smaller portion sizes.
Feel free to ask me for tips or advice.
Jeff_vella_leone
fionab wrote:
Well after following my own plan I am dowm 30kg from when I started in June 2006 and I am maintaining. It really is all about the right choices and smaller portion sizes.
Feel free to ask me for tips or advice.

cool good job with your achivement fino
you should show us ur improvement though it would be even better
30 kg off is a hell of a goal
keep it up
tijn01
Eat things as closely to the way nature made them as possible...
Avoid coke and other sugary drinks full of crap!
Avoid MSG and other flavour enhancers!
Eat whatever else you like in moderation!
Enjoy life and enjoy food, enjoy exercise, enjoy relaxation!
amicidellatigre
The best are natural meals.

Do no eat fried stuff, butter,or drink coke.

Use fresh REAL olive oil - not fried - fresh vegetables, pasta and just onece aweek meat.
It is called the mediterrean diet. it works, if you see Italians!