FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Desktop or Notebook for Me?

guissmo
I just had this thought a couple of days ago.

Which would be better for me? A desktop or a notebook computer?

Here's a description of me and my use of the computer:

Everyday at 5pm, I start using the computer nonstop. I use it for a lot of school work and to remove stress and stuff. I rarely play nor install OMGUNEEDBIGRAM games. The farthest I've played is Sims 2, but I stopped now. I'm content with the Zuma Yahoo Game that I have.

When it comes to school projects, I have a hard time bringing my classmates at home because their free times usually don't go along with mine. So, I consider getting a laptop because I can bring it to school when needed.

When it comes to general home use, I use my desktop computer. It has USBs and stuff, and an old durable printer that I'm not ready to stop using. BTW, Can I connect it to my laptop?

So these are the questions boggling my mind:
(a) Since my family doesn't prioritize technology and I don't have monthly income as it can be inferred from above that I'm a student, which is better for me, a laptop or a desktop?
(b) Which hardware can I not use on a laptop? (I currently have printer and USBs right now. And did I mention I need the Net too?)
(c) Any other Pros and Cons I'm missing out?
siruhan
Laptops have become very affordable these days, I think I would suggest a Laptop..Even i bought a Desktop thinking ill play lot of ganes and stuff but I think even laptops today have any graphics to play most of te games, so if you dont play games you dont have any question about buying a desktop, I think you should go for a notebook,,have a great time
looksbad
siruhan wrote:
Laptops have become very affordable these days, I think I would suggest a Laptop..Even i bought a Desktop thinking ill play lot of ganes and stuff but I think even laptops today have any graphics to play most of te games, so if you dont play games you dont have any question about buying a desktop, I think you should go for a notebook,,have a great time

I wouldnt really say laptops cna play most of the latest game's because i bought mine last year ( now i regret it) it cost me £710.99 i was thinking its quite a high price so it should play alot of decent games.. WRONG!! it doesnt it plays a few middish games like hmm Sims2 and AOE3 (on lowish settings)

But you are saying you would like the computer to be portable to a laptop is critical at this point Smile in your cituation i would get a laptop since you will be carrying it around. But if you want to play a few games and/or play a few in the future the laptop wont come cheap.

A- Laptops have USB ports on them aswell, so if your Printer connects via a usb port then you will be able to use it on a laptop just as you would on a Desktop ( you will have to probly install drivers to get teh printer to work)
calvinchin
Hi there,

It all depends on your current situation... Wink

Since you are in the need of portable medium to record
school works and projects in anytime, anywhere, laptop best fit.

Moreover, laptop and desktop are the same, only different is that
laptop may have less upgrade capacity.

However, with those latest CPU, Memory, Harddisk size, USB ports,
I don't think you will need any upgrade in the next 24 months.

Just my ideas. Wink
guissmo
looksbad wrote:
A- Laptops have USB ports on them aswell, so if your Printer connects via a usb port then you will be able to use it on a laptop just as you would on a Desktop ( you will have to probly install drivers to get teh printer to work)

Oh boy. Don't they have other stuff to connect it with? My printer isn't USB? Do such adaptors exist to make them USB (I hope people get what I'm saying here. Smile )

calvinchin wrote:

Moreover, laptop and desktop are the same, only different is that
laptop may have less upgrade capacity.

I rarely upgrade my desktop. But one thing I'm thinking about is that what if some part of the system breaks in a laptop? Will that be harder to fix than in a desktop?
Rsam
I think a notebook would better suit your needs, since you don't do any intensive graphical or other things that require processing power. I believe there are adapters from printer port to USB that you could use for your printer problem.
guissmo
BTW, is the price difference for Wi-Fi ready laptops big? And is it as good as DSL?
Rsam
guissmo wrote:
BTW, is the price difference for Wi-Fi ready laptops big? And is it as good as DSL?

Most laptops are already WiFI enabled. It doesn't have anything to do with DSL though. If you wanted to access the internet at home wirelessly through your laptop you need to buy a router to connect to your DSL and broadcast the WIFI.
william
Nowadays you can get a nice laptop at a decent price, so that's what you should probably do. Laptops can have plenty of ports. Laptops have USB, many have Firewire (IEEE 1394), VGA, basic audio inputs/outputs, so you can connect most modern types of hardware. If your printer is USB, it will work, though if it's old, it may be parallel. If that's the case, there are some adapters you can connect into your USB port. Though, some laptops do have both parallel and serial, so it depends on what model you get. As for desktops, they would be fine, as they can easily manage all of your tasks. However, since you don't require too much power, a laptop is great since you can take it almost anywhere.

guissmo wrote:
I rarely upgrade my desktop. But one thing I'm thinking about is that what if some part of the system breaks in a laptop? Will that be harder to fix than in a desktop?

If some part of the laptop were to break, you may or may not be able to fix it. Since laptops are smaller, they may be a little harder to handle the parts. Also, some parts are hard to find.

guissmo wrote:

Like Rsam said, Wi-Fi is usually built into most laptops. The price difference isn't very high at all.

One of the main problems I find with laptops is that you can't upgrade it much. Considering that the parts will be outdated in a few months, upgrading can be useful.

Anyway, I would say getting a laptop is better as it can do everything you need, though if you need power, go for a desktop.
em0o
definitely it depends on what you want, power or portability. Desktops are easily upgradable in terms of parts but then again there is an advantage of having a computer accessible whenever you want. Laptops are incredibly cheaper nowadays but parts cost more. My computer broke down but luckily my comptuer was still under warranty. THe warranty service costed me 300 dollars while the mobo replacement was 430 and that does not even include labor. So, replacement parts are by far more expensive than a desktop. luckily, My warranty paid itself off.