FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What stereotype do you see yourself as?

DiageoLiam
Many people steroetype themselves for the music they listen to, I, myself don't stereotype myself, I like most music~ anyway!
What are you?
Insanity
I don't stereotype myself either; I listen to a variety of music.
spaz-o
Why would you WANT to be stereotyped? Most people want to get out of being stereotyped, because it takes away your specialness as a person and defines your worth by pre-concieved ideas of what people think you're like.

I'm not sure if that made sense. I'm ever so tired.
Juparis
I agree with spaz-o. You seem like a hypocrite just for asking the question.

Nobody should want to reduce themselves to poorly-conceived stereotypes, and I don't think anyone else should ask them too either. Like spaz-o said (yea, it did make sense), stereotypes strip people of their individuality, and why would you ever want to give up who you are?

I listen to most prog rock and some heavy metal, btw.
Tatsumaru
Guess I would have to be a metalhead, since I have long hair, listen to metal, throw up the horns and all. I'm not a stereotype at all though, since I don't drink, smoke or do drugs. I'm more of a healthfreak.
rightclickscott
This seems like an interesting topic. I too listen to a very wide variety of music, and alot of the posts in this thread aren't as fun as the thread should be, but in the interest of topicness, I would consider myself a grunger, even though alot of people classify me as emo, because of my hair. My hair does look emo, but I hate emo soo much because it's really a big joke. I mean, the only reason it's called emo is because a bunch of stupid people decided to start calling this brand of music emo. Not only that, but emotive music used to be comedic music which tries to be bad. The title didn't last since the style of music didn't last, but when this new kind of music is named after a kind of music that was supposed to be a joke, it kind of ruined the whole emotional sense of emo, which, in essence is just whiny teenagers crying about stupid things. They constantly talk about how bad their lives are, but then you look at the Irish Punk stylings of Flogging Molly, which mainly is supposed to consist of refugees from Ireland, and they express more emotion than most other types of music, yet they somehow only get coined as punk. People are really stupid when it comes to music nowadays.
the_mariska
Juparis wrote:
Nobody should want to reduce themselves to poorly-conceived stereotypes, and I don't think anyone else should ask them too either. Like spaz-o said (yea, it did make sense), stereotypes strip people of their individuality, and why would you ever want to give up who you are?

Mwahaha, you should have seen me at the age of 13. I accidentally appeared on a hardcore punk concert, and the next day I woke up and told to myself "I wanna be a punk!" Laughing What I have been succesively bringing to life for the next few years. I wanted to indenify with something, and punk gave me this opporunity - it's always better to mess around with more freaks like you. And for some time I really loved when people were afraid of my appearance [though I'm a 5'3'' harmless girl Razz].

But what I hated about it the most was this whole labelling inside punk. Some bands were 'commercial', so if you listened them you became 'commercial' too. The other ones were 'true' so if you wanted to be 'true' you had to listen to them or at least know them pretty well.. Ahh I almost forgot about 'kinderpunks'. This was the funniest label of all, given by some teenage punks who acted like guru, to other teenage punks or bands they liked for uncertain reasons... What is worse, even adults that were deep 'in the scenes' or 'in the climate' led that kind of classifications of what is hot/not. Yeah this all seems pretty funny but scary as much. It's almost hard to believe that people could be so narrow minded... Rolling Eyes

Heh, and now, when I have all these punk periods besides me, when my hair grew back after having a mohawk I'm proud that I can't be classified under any label. I do like any kind of music - from classical and opera that I'm really into, through folk, symphonic, metal, gothic, punk, reggae, some hiphop and electronics. Music is a really important part of my life. Any music Very Happy.
cheh
haha nice topic, i see some sparky discussions already! Very Happy

personally i don't fit any (musical releated) stereotype. my musical taste is way to broad for that! i listen to most electronica genres (hardstyle being my favourite as you can guess from my sig Wink Very Happy ), alot of rock music (old rock), even some metal (tho i still clam most of it is just sick Razz ), and i simply looove slovenian ethno music (people say it reminds them of Oktoberfest music, but it's Oktoberfest music that was inspired by our folk Wink )!

stereotypes are fun tho. great joking material!! Twisted Evil Very Happy Very Happy
kazoe
i dont want to be.. labeled. my friends though think of me as punk.

but am I? *shrug* first of all, i do not care of what the heck am i dressed with, second; yeah i listen to rock but i listen to all types of genre under it (except for metal. i can only bear a handful of those)

i promote and encourage individuality as i can and going stereotype would absolutely go against it and that would be stupid. but really, the cds i collect and the music i listen to is very varied and wide. i do not tell other people what i really listen to, or what am I entirely made of (because there's not point, they're just categorize you on what they think you are) but what the public knows is that my taste usually ranges on almost all the subgenres of punk. other genres i listen to are only known by less than 10 people who understands the difference of genres in music.

let them think whatever they want to think. i dont even confer to the usual dress codes the different genres sports just as long as im comfortable and.. look presentable everytime i go to the office and its fine with me.

music is music. and people have different levels of obsession in it. groups usually serves as 'belong to' things and im a loner. and i want to add. if you yourself dont want to be stereotyped, why as people of what they think they are? dont you think it wont be offending/funny for other people like the way you feel when some people label you out?
ThornsOfSorrow
I look like a goth/metalhead, but I don't fit in either of those too well. I never do drugs, and I only drink once in a very great while when my mom hands me a beer and says "drink this" (no, my mom is not an alcoholic; she's just very...flexible, I guess). Even then, I'll drink half the can or less, put it down, and that's it. Also, I enjoy all kinds of music, not just metal. In fact, I recently got dragged to a Steely Dan concert where I ended up having a great time! So, basically, people stereotype me all the time, but I don't really agree with them.
spaz-o
the_mariska wrote:
Juparis wrote:

Mwahaha, you should have seen me at the age of 13. I accidentally appeared on a hardcore punk concert, and the next day I woke up and told to myself "I wanna be a punk!" Laughing What I have been succesively bringing to life for the next few years. I wanted to indenify with something, and punk gave me this opporunity - it's always better to mess around with more freaks like you. And for some time I really loved when people were afraid of my appearance [though I'm a 5'3'' harmless girl Razz].

But what I hated about it the most was this whole labelling inside punk. Some bands were 'commercial', so if you listened them you became 'commercial' too. The other ones were 'true' so if you wanted to be 'true' you had to listen to them or at least know them pretty well.. Ahh I almost forgot about 'kinderpunks'. This was the funniest label of all, given by some teenage punks who acted like guru, to other teenage punks or bands they liked for uncertain reasons... What is worse, even adults that were deep 'in the scenes' or 'in the climate' led that kind of classifications of what is hot/not. Yeah this all seems pretty funny but scary as much. It's almost hard to believe that people could be so narrow minded... Rolling Eyes

Heh, and now, when I have all these punk periods besides me, when my hair grew back after having a mohawk I'm proud that I can't be classified under any label. I do like any kind of music - from classical and opera that I'm really into, through folk, symphonic, metal, gothic, punk, reggae, some hiphop and electronics. Music is a really important part of my life. Any music Very Happy.

Haha, I get intimidated by "punks", but I'm a 5'2" harmless girl...

But 13-year-olds do things like that, because it's cooler to be different. The point is still "Don't label yourself, because it makes it okay for other people to label you"
onemoment
stereotypes are evil, if you want to label yourself i guess, people can do whatever they want. But when it comes to judging others by the way they look etc etc, stereotypes just serve as generalisations.
Insanity
I think a lot of people say they would rather not stereotype themselves, but if you ask me, a lot of people conform to those stereotypes -- not all, of course, but in general.
anxiety1
i dont fit in no groups

i wear what i wont

i listen to what i want

and i do what i want

i really dont like all these groups, like emo, chav etccc
curnow
im anti trend therefore, are not in a certain stereotype. people call me emo though for some reason. they cal anyone different to them emo. which is pretty tapped in the head.