FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Making own business?

coreymanshack
I was wondering what kind of work would have to be put into making your own web-business... and how to get started?
garionw
Wow Second Post!!!!!

The first thing you need is a site and coding. If you want it to be successful, dont use existing software and make all of your own.

After its all setup, advertise it as much as possible and one you think that you've done that, place Google Ads on your site.

Thats what im planning on doing anyway Smile
coreymanshack
yea i code everything myself....ima give a shoutout for PHP! what about legal stuff?
Hobbit
Pff that's not all you need. garionw kinda confused me with the "Google ads", what type of business do you want to start? If you think you can earn enough by selling your products, or whatever it is you're offering, then google ads is completely unecessary, in fact, I don't suggest them.

Unless you meant 'business' as in a site that earns a lot with adsense.

As far as the legal stuff goes, it's the same thing as a offline business, you still have to deal with the RIA, etc.
coreymanshack
i'm not sure what kind of business... probably one that makes and designs websites for people....
ninjakannon
If you become a proper company, then you have to register it somewhere - although I'm not sure where.
Also, if you're making money, I believe you need a separate bank account for the cash to go into, an account souly for the bussiness. Don't you also have to pay tax? I'm not quite sure.

Remember it's best to get an obvious domain name, too. So that people can find you easily.
wangbin218200
I think you can design php scripts for many people from Getafreelancer.com,many programmers on that site service many buyers.so this is a good job with your technology.
Meggsy
I'd say the biggest thing is promoting your website. That is the same with a real business, if people don't know who you are or what you sell then they aren't going to purchase anything from you. Tell your friends and family, get them to tell their friends. Word of mouth is more powerful than you can imagine.
CanadianGeek
Well, if you're going to sell products through your website, then I recommend against all forms of advertizing except for maybe advertisements of your own products. If people are going to be paying you money for a product or service, they aren't going to want anybody else soliciting them for other unrelated products, and I doubt you want advertisements which advertise products similar to your own.

If however you want to make money without actually selling anything to the end users, then you need an idea (preferrably one that's unique) and give people something to do on your website. Something interactive always goes over well, and then of course you sell advertising space, particularly once the website gets more popular. If you're really ambitious, you could also sell a premium service that removes all of the advertisements for that user.
coreymanshack
hey that sounds good canadian geek! yea i probably should take into consideration of the advertiseing, wich would take up 75% of my income probably!
Wynand
The first thing you have to think about when starting a business, no matter what kind of business, is what product you will be offering to satisfy an existing need in the market.

Now you have to analyze the competitors in the market segment that you chose and how much the segment is satisfied by products. Choose a segment that is specialized but will also attract people. Will you be able to create a product that gives a deferential advantage to you?

For an internet business: Now develop your product as good as you can. Then make a website that complements your product.

The trick is to get visitors to your website!
lukeropro
I don't suggest registering a company that designs websites for other people unless you plan to make it a big company or maybe even a corporation. Just a small one like maybe monstertemplates.com will do.
coreymanshack
ok you guys have given me a lot to think about!
japasco
Wynand wrote:
The first thing you have to think about when starting a business, no matter what kind of business, is what product you will be offering to satisfy an existing need in the market.

Now you have to analyze the competitors in the market segment that you chose and how much the segment is satisfied by products. Choose a segment that is specialized but will also attract people. Will you be able to create a product that gives a deferential advantage to you?

For an internet business: Now develop your product as good as you can. Then make a website that complements your product.

The trick is to get visitors to your website!

Yeah man this is the really idea for planning a new business!
Anticollie
Well, I own a small jewelry business, and the points of ownership are actually rather vital. Now, because mine has to deal with a lot of state tax ID's, offical fill out forms, and tons of other things that I do on an event-by-event basis, I have a hard time thinking of what exactly your state (or country) has set up for business requirements. So... my hints would be (since others have covered the advertising and marketing structures fairly well)

• Find our your local state's tax information page. This is vital, because you may be required by law to collect tax if the buyer is in your area.
  • Find out who to buy a "Statement of Tradename of individual" from, this is a 1.00 (about) document that is submitted to either an organization or person in your area, which will allow you be have a registered trade name. it is a key componant to becomming a business.
  • Further, Tax ID's can be helpful when buying products, such as software, as they can lower your cost in several ways. This chance varies with company to company, so make sure you check it out.
  • If you intend to go into this with more than yourself in the company, i would strongly suggest looking into the risk factors involved before agreeing to sign them on. If you are the sole proproator of any company, and you somehow get sued by someone (ie: your employee was hacking data, or something) then those lawsuits come to your door step. They can take your house, car, and even the shirt off your back, quite literally.
  • If you are a corporation, they cannot do that- the most they could do would be to take the company from you. A safer, but more complicated route. Choose wisly ^_^

That's all I can think of right now, I'm sure there will be others more awake who will help you out.

On his third cup of coffee this morning,
Anticollie.
ralphbefree
the basics to starting an internet business are the same for starting any business. I am starting an internet business right now also. First you must decide how you are going to structure your business: Sole Propiertorship, Partnership, LLC, S-Corp, or a Corporation. In the United States the Small Business Association is a great help. They have a tremedous amount of resources that can help you get started. If your business is going to be anything other than minute you will need legal advice. Lawyers can research your idea to see if it is patenable, and inform you of other aspects that you where not aware of; such as a tremedous amount of license fees etc... and then with any business the IRS will get involved so make sure you keep accurate records from the beginning.

Certanly you can code everything yourself but you can also contract that service out. In fact you can practically contract everything out. this is another basic decision that needs to be considered: how much do you want to do?
TrueFact
I'm not an USA resident and that's why I can't talk about the tax, ... etc. When you reach making up your site and marketing and its goods and products you need more than advertising. If you google something like web traffic or SEO (search engine optimization) you'll find tons & tons of data to read (of course you'll find alot among this is nothing more than crap and waste of time) so try reading a book like Affiliate Master Course (http://www.associateprograms.com/free-downloads/2005-AffMasters.pdf#search=%22affiliate%20master%20course%22) which will give you a main idea about how to advertise and market a web bussiness offline and online. It took me a year to start marketing my bussiness the right way... and I don't want you to take the wrong way as I did. This can be a time & money consuming matter so try learning about the web marketing before joining it.
coreymanshack
thanks true fact!
VidE
If you are in the US in/near a fairly large urban center, the SBA sponsors programs/classes with people you can chat with and give you advice-I have had really good experinces with these people and there enthusiasm and experience can help you in ways that an online class cannot.
TrueFact
you are welcome any time. I hope I helped.

Good Luck
venkateshwarans
Probably you could register as a freelancer in popular sites(if you go for coding stuff). Gain some experience and then start a business. If you are still a college grad you could try submitting papers or enrolling in competitions. I don't know how much the second point helps.
charseips
THE most important tool your business can have is a Business Plan, it can help you get funding but more importantly it sets out the structure and working style of your business and when things get diffficult it is there to help you reach the next step.

Your Business Plan should describe the business, its objectives, its strategies, the market it is in and its financial forecasts.

happy planning
insanesnoopy
I agree that a business plan and marketing plan are the 2 most important things that you can put together.

Everytime I talk to a new client it is the first thing I ask for. And often the one struggling doesn't have one and the one that is doing well does.
robbinsjd
Starting a Web Business is a huge undertaking, especially if you want it to be successful. It could take months of hardwork just to get someone to buy something. You would need to be good with forms too. That and you would to develope trust if someone is to give you money for a product. If your selling a generic product, don't expect to sell much because Ebay will be you to it. You would have to sell some kind of service or use Google Adsense and hope you get a lot of people to your site to start clicking on the ads. Good luck!
coreymanshack
robbinsjd wrote:
Starting a Web Business is a huge undertaking, especially if you want it to be successful. It could take months of hardwork just to get someone to buy something. You would need to be good with forms too. That and you would to develope trust if someone is to give you money for a product. If your selling a generic product, don't expect to sell much because Ebay will be you to it. You would have to sell some kind of service or use Google Adsense and hope you get a lot of people to your site to start clicking on the ads. Good luck!

Thank you all, I'm going with not selling anything, but mabye selling addspace or going with google ads.
peaceninja
Starting your own business is the American dream, and the LLC was created to make it easy for people to make their own businesses with minimum legal hoops. I'm not entirely sure why a lot of people are saying it's hard, unless you want to do a sole proprietorship or whatever else others are suggesting, it is silly to do anything other than an LLC because you would pay a lot of money for lawyer consulting otherwise.

* You need to apply for an EIN number through the IRS (a federal entity), this is a simple process and can be done online and without being an LLC first
* You need to apply as an LLC through your state department (a state entity), go to the website and search for the papers, usually they are online.
* If you intend to do business primarily in the city you are in, you need to apply for a business license through the city (a municipal entity), I believe that it's recommended that you get a license anyway but it is not really enforced, but its good to stay legit Smile
* If you are starting the business with others, it's highly recommended that you sign a partnership agreement to help settle common disputes that will arise; you can find lots of partnership agreement templates online
* other things to think about is choosing a bank, choosing an accountant to do your taxes (you'll definitely need one unless you are willing to go through all the boring paperwork), becoming friends with a lawyer for high level consulting never hurts either!

This covers a lot of the legal stuff, now the fun begins with marketing for clients, creating a business process, and making the dough!