FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Antique weapons?..Mideval Weapons?

Motoracer380
anyone here collect antique / mideval weapons??...ive got a few....an old mechetti..that my grandfather actually used the hell outof...and a 3 way axe....the 3 way has a small and large axe on each side and a spear on the top. i like them for show and they are also good for protection.
polly-gone
I have a question. You said they are also good for protection. Does this mean you walk around on the street holding a mideval machete? If you do do you get weird looks. How do you do it?
NooBix
Cool. Shocked

a medieval weapon collector.. does getting a rock from the floor counts? as a medieval weapon... I'm sure people back then knows how to throw stones Laughing

Just kidding... Rolling Eyes
aneotoena
Well medieval weapons are pretty cool, I like shields swords a lot, I am triying to get a Mondragon sword or a St George sword. Bows are great too. But let me tell ya, you can't walk around with this stuff, just collect them dude if you want to protect yourself with a weapon(I am not supporting or ecouraging you, I prefer just staying out of trouble)use an actual weapon.
Anticollie
Personally, I own a small metalsmithing company. So, I actually make quite a few swords, shields, and some plate armor out of metal. it's a rather time consuming process, and to me is really theraputic, mainly because I enjoy it.

However, I also enjoy collecting mine and other's work, because there is a certain decadence to collecting such things, I love them, I can make the most beautiful thing, yet it can do dasterdly things to others, kind of poetic justice, I think.

Also- carrying a sword, assuming you don't walk into a store or something with it drawn, is generally legal. We have the right to bear arms in the States, and the most you'd get from walking around the street are a few wierd looks. Now, if you don't live in America, I can't say much about what's politically correct, or even lawfully intact, but I would assume as long as you don't walk around acting like a child, swinging it at trees and being reckless, you've not got a problem. Afterall, I make mine as art, and I wouldn't ever get busted for carrying a painting with me where I go.

Anticollie.
meetul
Motoracer380 wrote:
anyone here collect antique / mideval weapons??...ive got a few....an old mechetti..that my grandfather actually used the hell outof...and a 3 way axe....the 3 way has a small and large axe on each side and a spear on the top. i like them for show and they are also good for protection.

I have a sword which has been paseed by generations to generations from my great grandfather to my grandfather to my father then to me. Though, the sword is still quite sharp, it is used only for decorative and memorable purposes.
DreadKnight
Not really a medieval weapon, but i own a katana and a wakizashi. They were gifts from my master back then when he was training me the art of jujitsu. They are both genuine, handmade swords, sharp as hell. They are made of tempered, layered and folded steel, sharpened with small grit stone and finished in acid. They are, unlike other japanese swords because of the handle. You see, normal swords have a handle made of wood such as bamboo or cherry wood. This one has solid steel handle, mirror-polished. It adds weight, but also adds power in the swing. I am really proud of them. Might as well put some pictures, if i get my cam to work Wink
Lady_Star
I collect swords and daggers... I have 6 or 7 that are Medieval. In total I have 5 swords and about 35 daggers. I suppose if push came to shove they would make for some awesome protection but they are mostly just for show even though the majority of them are extremely sharp. I hope to someday own more swords from the Medieval time period but for now the 2 I have will have to suffice... Smile
hiquality
i love medieval weapons!!!!
I have several daggers.Also I have a sword that my familly brought me when I aged 20 from an antiques collector.
The best thing that i got is a shield with a dragon on it. My familly has this shield for generations.
roboguyspacedude
I really want a real german longsword. That would be really cool, but I don't have any weapons right now.
Quintilius
I do historical reconstitution with friends. So, to properly speak, I don't collect such items, but I have some. What I like most are armor parts, like helmets : but, unfortunately, the better appeared too late than the others parts of our material. For swords, viking ones are, to my mind, the best, althought it is heavy so you can do few effective moves with it (the best is probably to hold the sword over your head, the rest of your body behind your buckler, then hit hard your opponent in a rotative move.)

I also really enjoy wearing chainmails : by the way, does someone knows where to get one for a good price in Czech Republic ? Thank you guys.
Pikokola
for me.. I prefer japanesse historical things.... I don't know why.. but i like japanesse katana, samurai, or something like that....
Japanesse armor ( I don't know what it's called ) are cool too ^^
ThornsOfSorrow
I currently own two swords, a flail, a claw-like thing, and a six-foot spear. I'm more interested in what are classified as "fantasy" weapons, with a lot of decoration, but the flail has a medieval look to it.

Weapon collecting can be a lot of fun, but I stopped when I realized how much money I was spending.
Cddhesh
Good that you brought up such a interesting topic.We have in our house three guns and one sword.They are so heavy that even i find difficult to lift.They are of my grandfathers time.He was in army as marshal so such things were nothing for him.We have now decided to sell them as they occupy large space and get smell these days.
Genesiz
I think medieval swords and weapons have such a better look than modern weapons like guns and knives. If i had the time and money, i would hunt out some cool stuff to buy, but it is just too expensive. Even replica stuff from films is expensive.

That said i do have some stuff i have used in my Karate lessons (black belt you should know).

PS - Oh, and another reason for not buying them. It's kinda illegal.
SoFly
I`m not collecting anciental, medieval things etc but i got one katana.
c'tair
SoFly wrote:
I`m not collecting anciental, medieval things etc but i got one katana.

What kind of katana? A 30$ uber-ninja katana you can buy at your local grocey store or the real thing? Ive have seen and toouched my share of medieval weaponry, but never had enough funding to actually start my own collection. I know about these old weapons some, mostly jsut the basic theory about taking care of them, making them and using them. Just the basics, ya know? I even though of making ssome swords or daggers by myself from old leaf springs because I could get a ton of them here and pay next to nothing. Man, it'd be so awsome. Ive always liked watching people fighting in medieval armor and with medieval weapons, always wanted to be in their place. Also, it would be a great way so scare off any mugger Smile
cybernie
I am not from a family of medieval weapons collector but at home we have a bayonette and a jungle bolo that my grandfather got during the Japanese occuparion in the Philippines. He's got a Japanese helmet also.
Rico
No but most of my tools are medieval. I have an arc welder from the seventies, a drill from the sixties and a few hammers and screwdrivers from the eighties. I have a pair of pliers given to me by a woman in her eighties. And I have a machete from the seventies. I know it’s not the real medieval but compared with now it might have been.
ronjeez
aneotoena wrote:
Well medieval weapons are pretty cool, I like shields swords a lot, I am triying to get a Mondragon sword or a St George sword. Bows are great too. But let me tell ya, you can't walk around with this stuff, just collect them dude if you want to protect yourself with a weapon(I am not supporting or ecouraging you, I prefer just staying out of trouble)use an actual weapon.

yes i seen some of there weapons amazing stuff.