FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Anyone use dual monitors?

Maka
I got my new 19" tft yesterday it' huggggggggggge Shocked , 1280 x 1024 is great, but now I have my old 15" tft spare so am using it as dual setup, it's pretty cool while playing games you can check msn etc, anyone else use dual monitors?.
n0obie4life
ROFL!

Chat and play Smile.

Niceee....
PatTheGreat42
I'm currently in a bit of a love affair with my current monitor. It's widescreen, has speakers built in, has about five different inputs and picture-in-picture, so you could do things like work on the computer and play Xbox, play Xbox and watch TV. It's also really nice to be coding and have Comedy Central going on in the corner. It is nice.

But, um, no dual monitors. The widescreen's good enough for me.
izcool
Wow, I wish I had room on my desk to fit 2 monitors. Very Happy My desk currently fits a 17" CRT monitor with my old P1 laptop snugged next to it. I was thinking about getting a flat panel someday and possibly a better laptop. Time will tell. Very Happy

- Mike.
Crackr
i run a 4 monitor Setup

its sweet, i can check msn, yahoo and do stuff on one play games on the other load dvds on the other and download music on the other lol

fun as hell 4 19' Plasma's fit well when their mounted to the wall and Comp desk lol
dule
before i had matrox g400 and 2 monitors i had extended desktop ^^

but i couldn't do 2 things like chat & play Sad
gonzo
dual 22"

Cool
RA
I have my laptop LCD set up as my secondary display, and my CRT as the primary, for games and such. Its nice to be able to view stuff while waiting to respawn, etc. Its also nice for editing documents and such, as it allows lots of space to compare files and view example code.
THE11thROCK™
Use Matrox Parhelia and you're in for some Full 3D Surround View Capability with a triple monitor setup. Your central monitor acts as the front site while the the two side monitors makes you view the enemies coming from the left and right (like real life) in first person shooter games! It's like having a full 180 degree perspective view. Very Happy
Ressurrector
I did once before Maka. I had a program called fruity loops(beatmaker) on one and cakewalk sonar(recording) on the other. It was pretty handy at times.
ggrbgl
I have 2 Monitors (SAMSUN´G Syncmaster 225cw) in dual View. On one Screen i have a Virtual Machine (Windows XP) and on the other my Host System (Ubuntu). And a Full HD Beamer (but most of the time offline).
Craeft
Maka wrote:
I got my new 19" tft yesterday it' huggggggggggge Shocked , 1280 x 1024 is great, but now I have my old 15" tft spare so am using it as dual setup, it's pretty cool while playing games you can check msn etc, anyone else use dual monitors?.

19" is huge? :-/

hehe...

I use dual 26", but they're CRT flats so they are big and bulky as all hell. Each has multiple inputs, so actually, I have them dualed to two different computers, no switch needed. I tend to use dual monitor a lot for on one screen, designing, on the other... browsing, researching, etc. Or... who am I kidding?

I usually have world of warcraft on one screen and the internet on the other.
Craeft
THE11thROCK™ wrote:
Use Matrox Parhelia and you're in for some Full 3D Surround View Capability with a triple monitor setup. Your central monitor acts as the front site while the the two side monitors makes you view the enemies coming from the left and right (like real life) in first person shooter games! It's like having a full 180 degree perspective view. Very Happy

I've actually set up a 5 monitor viewing system like this. And I did it without obnoxiously red font.
Craeft
THE11thROCK™ wrote:

I've actually set up a 5 monitor viewing system like this. And I did it without obnoxiously red font.

And actually, it doesn't work like that for games because the game, itself, has to support that type of set up. The camera angle in game is always a front conal. Peripheral is limited. So... unless the game supports an IMax type of set up, it ain't gonna work. All you're looking at is the ground in front of you moving by on two side screens.
brokenadvice
I am going to buy a second monitor for my laptop after Christmas. I used to have a 13 in TV set up so I could preview videos and such on it, it was pretty nifty.
snowboardalliance
Crackr wrote:
i run a 4 monitor Setup

its sweet, i can check msn, yahoo and do stuff on one play games on the other load dvds on the other and download music on the other lol

fun as hell 4 19' Plasma's fit well when their mounted to the wall and Comp desk lol

Wow, I've never really seen a 4 moniter set up. I don't know if my laptop has enough outputs, but I guess it's probably possible on a nice desktop. Do you need like 2 video cards?
ocalhoun
snowboardalliance wrote:
Crackr wrote:
i run a 4 monitor Setup

Wow, I've never really seen a 4 moniter set up. I don't know if my laptop has enough outputs, but I guess it's probably possible on a nice desktop. Do you need like 2 video cards?

You can use 2 video cards if your OS supports it, and if you don't have OS support for that, you can use quad-head video cards. Those are expensive though. Expect to pay $200-$500 for an OLD one.
brokenadvice
If you don't want to open up your laptop and add another video card (which is probably impossible anyway) you can go with a USB video card. They are pretty good at spreadsheets and such, but not so good for games.
ProfessorY91
The NVIDIA 9800 GT has enough power to run two 21" screens, at the highest resolution. It can even master gaming on both. Thats my setup. As for adding two more monitors, I did that once. I have several converters, that routed the DVI to the S-Video input of a second desktop with a dual card, booted the desktop, placed it in standby, jiggled the settings of the video card, and made it think that the two monitors attached to it were one. Presto, 4 monitors, 2 desktops, 2 video cards, all controlled by one computer. A rubbish setup, but it was for a simultaneous graphing project for math.
mcamargo
LCD LG 22" WIDE. Very nice..
Dallas5150
I got a 19" on my desktop and a 42" on the wall beside my desk in my bedroom. I like to pull up poker on the big screen while I'm messing around on the other screen.
Skye001
I use my Acer laptop 15.4" with my 24" tft flat hyundai monitor, pure bliss. I cannot work on any workstation with one monitor... its very difficult!

Multi-tasking at its finest!
MarzEz
i have about 3 20" crt's lying around, one capable of 1600x1200 and the other two capable of much higher. i once managed to get 2 screens working on an old 400mhz PII, but i killed the computer trying to install a third graphics card.
windows 98 isn't the most stable... Razz