FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ripped Music Playback Quality

Tony The Tiger
I ripped a several dozen albums this week. When I played a couple of them back through iTunes on my desktop, I noticed a lot of skipping and crackling. When I played one of the same albums back on my iPod I noticed no problems. Is it possible that my laptop is not playing .mp3 files correctly or is it more likely that the file was ripped poorly from a possibly scratched CD. I should note that several songs on each CD seemed to playback without problem.
CrimsonStrange
Sure, a damaged CD will produce problems like that.
So will a dusty CD or DVD-ROM drive.

It's also not unusual for one media player to detect an error with an MP3 file, while another media player plays the song back without any noticeable data corruption.

One more thing - sometimes, the data corruption occurs while you're compressing a .WAV file down to MP3 format, but it can also happen even if you're ripping a song directly to .mp3 format from the audio CD, especially if you were doing something else at the same time. (ie. using any program that was accessing the hard drive while you were ripping the songs)
Tony The Tiger
CrimsonStrange wrote:
Sure, a damaged CD will produce problems like that.
So will a dusty CD or DVD-ROM drive.

It's also not unusual for one media player to detect an error with an MP3 file, while another media player plays the song back without any noticeable data corruption.

One more thing - sometimes, the data corruption occurs while you're compressing a .WAV file down to MP3 format, but it can also happen even if you're ripping a song directly to .mp3 format from the audio CD, especially if you were doing something else at the same time. (ie. using any program that was accessing the hard drive while you were ripping the songs)

In this case I ripped straight from a CD using iTunes on my laptop and was playing back from the MP3 using iTunes on my laptop.
Tony The Tiger
CrimsonStrange wrote:

P.S. Does this have something to do with the sampling algorythms. I rip at 192. I believe CD quality is something like 1400 Kbps. Thus, my media player rips by sampling 192 out of every 1400 KBPS of data as I understand it. Another media player might prefer a different sample I gather.
tuncay
Tony The Tiger wrote:
CrimsonStrange wrote:

P.S. Does this have something to do with the sampling algorythms. I rip at 192. I believe CD quality is something like 1400 Kbps. Thus, my media player rips by sampling 192 out of every 1400 KBPS of data as I understand it. Another media player might prefer a different sample I gather.

No it doesn't, the MP3 producing algorithm is not that different in different programs. The interesting thing, as sb else pointed out, that you can play it correctly in your iPod, otherwise I'd have concluded you were keeping the computer busy during the operation.