FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

SONY OS

coreymanshack
I want to build my own operating system for my sony clie PEG-SJ30/U handheld.....how would i go about starting to do this? And would anyone be willing to help me?

I personally HATE the operating system they have on the handheld already... i want to build one to suit my needs!
sush
You mean you want to hack the firmware.

Go to your local service center and ask them if they can update the firmware for you. If that doesn't satisfy you ask them to give you the firmware image on a CD and then you can experiment with a disassembler.

May God be with you.
coreymanshack
thanks for the info my friend Smile
{name here}
For a disassembler I reccomend OllyDbg, and be sure to learn what assembler code goes with what mnemonic(instruction, function, whatever you want to call it), in which case you will need to know what processor comes with the system.
coreymanshack
what language am I going to have to know?
{name here}
coreymanshack wrote:
what language am I going to have to know?

Intel-style assembly language, or possibly AT&T style. If you want to edit through a hex editor like the MASM32 editor you will also have to learn mnemonics(what hexadecimal code corresponds to what function. Each processor chipset uses a different set of mnemonics, with an exception being that AMD processors do follow IA-32 instructions just like Intel processors. However, even though their binaries are compatible, each processor handles these codes differently which is why you see there are builds for both i586 and AMD processors) in order for it to work properly, and you will be working with the tediousness of a hex editor unless your device has an IA-32 chipset(Pentiums IV and down, Centrinos, 32-bit AMDs and down. Anything newer from Intel or AMD most likely works on IA-64 for 64-bit processors), really the only chipset that is recognized by disassemblers. Since you are working with a handheld, you will most likely be dealing with something like a PowerPC processor, which uses different instructions from an IA-32 machine.

Good Luck.