FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How much of the Earth is water?

0%
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
30%
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
60%
54%
 54%  [ 20 ]
90%
32%
 32%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 37

Jack_Hammer
Please vote. (To the nearest option)
-SonyGamer
I think around 60-70%. As there is obviously more water on Earth than there is land, but not as much water got 90% of the Earth to be covered with water.
Vrythramax
It was always my understanding that 2/3'rds of the worlds surface was under water...but then again I have been known to be wrong.
evilvic
I thought it's 71.something % but I might be wrong wait ill look it uo real quick

peace
evilvic
I thought this is pretty interesting here are some numbers:

Quote:
There's a whole lot of water on Earth! Something like 326,000,000,000,000,000,000 gallons (326 million trillion gallons) of the stuff (roughly 1,260,000,000,000,000,000,000 liters) can be found on our planet. This water is in a constant cycle -- it evaporates from the ocean, travels through the air, rains down on the land and then flows back to the ocean.

The oceans are huge. About 70 percent of the planet is covered in ocean, and the average depth of the ocean is several thousand feet (about 1,000 meters). Ninety-eight percent of the water on the planet is in the oceans, and therefore is unusable for drinking because of the salt. About 2 percent of the planet's water is fresh, but 1.6 percent of the planet's water is locked up in the polar ice caps and glaciers. Another 0.36 percent is found underground in aquifers and wells. Only about 0.036 percent of the planet's total water supply is found in lakes and rivers. That's still thousands of trillions of gallons, but it's a very small amount compared to all the water available.

The rest of the water on the planet is either floating in the air as clouds and water vapor, or is locked up in plants and animals (your body is 65 percent water, so if you weigh 100 pounds, 65 pounds of you is water!). There's also all the soda pop, milk and orange juice you see at the store and in your refrigerator… There's probably several billion gallons of water sitting on a shelf at any one time!

peace
Terrasis-Cian
Ipicked 90% simply because 80-90% of the human body is made of water and i thought that that may have had something to do with it... Or am I reading too much into this? I have a great interest in geography and I would generally agree that approximately two-thirds of the eart's surface is water. But, It's a small world after all! Wink
anfboy
i put 60% because it is closest to 75% which is the % most people use. Smile
mathiaus
I was going to edit your poll to allow slightly more accurate results but it would mess up the result from those who have already voted Rolling Eyes

60% closest to approximatly 70% based not on my calulations, but what I've been taught based on the caluclations of other people and/or organisations Smile
Antek88
I thought it's 68%...
CMA
You could grab an encyclopedia, science book or something similar and see the answer... Was there any real point to this thread?
Nameless
Do you the percentage of the Earth that is water, or the percentage of the Earth that is covered by water? I think you'll find they're drastically different. Confused
HoboPelican
Quote:
The Hydrosphere is the layer of water which covers about 71% of the earth's surface. This layer is the combination of rivers, seas, lakes, underground water, and all the world's oceans. The average depth of the oceans is 3794 m (12,447 ft), more than five times the average height of the continents. The mass of the oceans is approximately 1.35 quintillion (1.35 × 10^1Cool metric tons, or about 1/4400 of the total mass of the earth. This is 0.04 % of the earth's mass.

The Atmosphere only makes up about .01%, so even together that only gives .05%. I guess with rounding......Smile
amusic
70% of the earth is water. I was being taught about this while I was in primary school.
HoboPelican
amusic wrote:
70% of the earth is water. I was being taught about this while I was in primary school.

No, that is the "surface" percent, how much of the Earth's surface is water and how much land. The actual % mass is much lower.... Wink
ashen
Hm... I think its about 80% if calculate all of the waters (sea, river, lake, spring, and ground water).
crimson_aria
My teacher taught us about this before. I just can't exactly remember. I think it's 75%. I'm not sure.
Loghete
amusic wrote:

Yeah, me too.
But not if you, as someone said, count all water. Then it could be like 90%
NewGuyinTown
CMA wrote:
You could grab an encyclopedia, science book or something similar and see the answer... Was there any real point to this thread?

I agree. Google can answer it. I agree with 2/3 of Earth is water... or at least that is what I learn when I was a kid.
Vrythramax
@CMA & NewGuyinTown...

The point of the topic is entertainment and possibly learning something from other people's perspectives, not just cold hard facts from a textbook...lighten up a bit, if you don't like a topic....don't post to it!
Davidgr1200
It seems very strange to have a poll about a fact. Polls are used for finding out people's opinions, not to decide if something is true or false. If everybody voted for 10% that doesn't change the value at all - they'd all be wrong. The only reason for this sort of poll that I can think of is to investigate how wrong people can be about something.
Vrythramax
@Davidgr1200

Very true, but a poll can also be used to find out many people are aware of a given fact, not just to reiterate the fact itself.
HoboPelican
Agreed! The poll simply shows what people really know.

I find it fascinating that the question asked what percent of the Earth is water and didn't specify whether it concerned the surface area or total mass. I took it to mean the total mass which, as I mentioned above, is roughly zero. Of course, most people took it to mean surface area, which is the more common percentage taught in school.

Just shows how people read different things into a question!
Nameless
Jack_Hammer wrote:

The question is how much of the EARTH is water. NOT the surface of the Earth. WHY then do so many people answer things like:
Loghete wrote:
amusic wrote:

Yeah, me too.
But not if you, as someone said, count all water. Then it could be like 90%

Or
ashen wrote:
Hm... I think its about 80% if calculate all of the waters (sea, river, lake, spring, and ground water).

Does nobody read the question anymore? Or do you just pick up on key words ('water', 'percent') and shoot out an answer before thinking? I'm not trying to sound rude, or harsh, but honestly wondering about this. Confused

At time of posting, only two people have voted 0%, which is the closest to the actual answer the question 'How much of the Earth is water?'. And one of them was me. Rolling Eyes
Jaan
Obviously 90% Laughing
Geez
idiotsoft
In school teachers told me that the wather in the earth was about 70,8% of the earthly surface(61% of the north hemisphere and 81% of the south hemisphere)
ncwdavid
I picked 60% because someone once told me the world is 2/3 water.
Vrythramax
Nameless wrote:
Does nobody read the question anymore? Or do you just pick up on key words ('water', 'percent') and shoot out an answer before thinking? I'm not trying to sound rude, or harsh, but honestly wondering about this.

The question and the poll itself where extremely vague (at best) and led readers to the implication that the author was looking for a fact that must be currently available...which is the amount of surface water. Nobody can asses accuratly how much of the total mass of the earth is made up of water molecules at any given time as the percentage would change radically given an almost infinate number of causes and effect. I also don't see the author stepping in to clarify the question at all either...or even comment.

You may not have wanted to sound rude or harsh, but IMO you certainly came across that way (given the fact that we are all idiots who only read what we want and discard the rest).
Loghete
Quote:
At time of posting, only two people have voted 0%, which is the closest to the actual answer the question 'How much of the Earth is water?'. And one of them was me. Rolling Eyes

Wow, I didn't think of that. I guess you're right.
hack_man_
Isn't it exactly 75%, no questions asked?
a.Bird
Um, are we talking surface area or actually how much of the entire Earth is water? I voted for the latter until I started reading all of your posts. I guess I take things too literally... Confused
Vrythramax
@a.Bird

It appears that is the question at hand now, the author left it wide open to interpretation...and it seems to some that most of us have been mistaken.

Taking things literally isn't a bad thing, sometimes I wish more people would, but it too can lead to misinterpretations. Smile
a.Bird
I think the real question is "how much of the Earth is anything we can really measure?"
nilsmo
The percentage of the surface of the earth covered with water is well known - about 70%. However the percentage of the entire earth being water is a different matter:

evilvic quoted a source saving about 1,260,000,000,000,000,000,000 liters of water are found on earth. Google Calculator tells me that's 1.26 × 10^18 cubic meters. The volume of the earth, according to wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volume_of_the_Earth ) is 1.0832 × 10^21 cubic meters. The quotient of the two numbers is about 10 ^ 3, which means that the earth is about .1% water. That's a lot of water! Smile (Either that, or I have a mistake in my calculations.)
Srs2388
I learned in Ecology... its 70%
Dean_The_Great
Here's something to think about: The earth is about 70% water, as is the human body. Coincidence!? I think not. We are just an extension of the Earth, adapted specifically to the Earth's composition.

We're just those crazy little critters growing on the earth, just like mold on a sandwich.
Vrythramax
Dean_The_Great wrote:
...We're just those crazy little critters growing on the earth, just like mold on a sandwich.

LOL....I like it, "Hey look Mom...I'm a fungus!"

Cool
Sabaku
I thin it´s 90% water -.-
Soulfire
I've been taught from 66% to 75%
nilsmo
Dean_The_Great wrote:
Here's something to think about: The earth is about 70% water

70% of the -surface- of the earth is water.
snowboardude
you didn't say whether you were judging by land, volume, or surface area. if you are judging by volume, or mass, close to 0
Vrythramax
snowboardude wrote:
you didn't say whether you were judging by land, volume, or surface area. if you are judging by volume, or mass, close to 0

The question never stated the differance....try reading previous posts. Some have and gauged thier opinions accordingly.

This is fast turning into a spam topic.
ClanUA
it has to be 60-70 cause 30% is land.. but i it might of changed.. i dont know but thats all i remember
izimngcubes15
I heard it was around 85 - 92 % of water on Earth, really if you think about it, there isn't much land. And if there were more people would fit and we wouldn't have any problems in populating more and more! ^.^
710ths
Actually it is 7 /10ths I should know...
a.Bird
This is certainly one useful, informative thread. Let's all speculate what number is already discovered that represents something no average person needs to know. +points for everyone!! Rolling Eyes

Quick google search:

Quote:
Set against the velvet blackness of outer space, our home planet looks like a “blue marble”—bright, shimmering, and mostly fluid. Indeed, it is the abundance of water on its surface that gives Earth its blue appearance. Water covers approximately 70 percent of our world’s surface. So it would seem that finding water is a trivial task. Yet only 2.5 percent of the Earth’s water is fresh and thus suitable for consumption. Not only that, but of that 2.5 percent, more than two-thirds is locked away in glaciers and not particularly able to help meet the growing demands of society. By far, the most abundant and available source of fresh water is underground water supplies or wellsprings known as aquifers. Therefore, scientists and natural resource managers are very interested in tracking how these underground reservoirs of fresh water are changing with time. >>More

Interesting graph:

>>source
Vrythramax
@a.bird

Now there's something to ponder. A very informative post indeed! Smile

Cool
wsco
70% of the earth
a.Bird
Something else interesting to ponder is that our groundwater systems are being used up faster than they are being recharged, meaning at this rate they are eventually going to be used up. No fresh water for anyone. Well, except for maybe the white house. Confused
Vrythramax
wsco wrote:
70% of the earth

Enough.

-locked-